SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Alan kept badgering me to try a Moto motor in a F1 scratchbuilt and the Mini Motor also keeps getting mentioned on various threads in the Scratch Building forum, the problem is the information is scattered about and I forget where I've read about some interesting idea - so I thought a thread for these motors might help anyone who is thinking about or indeed already using these motors.

Alan finally wore me down and I've bought some Moto motors from Get Slotted (unbelievably quick service, first time I had used them) and the first recipients will be the Lotus 43 and a scale carved Lotus 25 I'm working on.

What I would like to know is how good the motor is, does it struggle and overheat, what contrate meshes with the supplied pinion, is it a 12V motor - stuff like that.

Any ideas gratefully received.

David

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi David,

I haven't given mine a good run yet, so I'm not sure about the overheating issue, but I can tell you the pinion matches perfectly with any of the slot-it crown gears.

In limited testing it seems to have plenty enough power for the narrow F1 cars. But, that's me...opinions may vary.

Steve

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Well Done David....I new you would weaken!.

The MotoGP is 12v and the standard pinion meshes with a Slot.it 27T Crown.

I have also tried one in a sidewinder setup and it will mesh with the standard Fly gear. I have yet to try it with a Slot.it or Scalextric Sidewinder gear.

If you don't want to use the standard pinion try Andy at ABSlotsport or Chas at SCD as they both carry 64dp pinions and gears that will fit this motor shaft without sleeving.

Incidently Russell has sent me another motor of almost identical dimensions complete with 64DP gears to try, I imagine this is the TIM motor that EM mentioned in my Ferrari F1 Thread.

The MOTOGP motor is still running very well in the Ferrari and it is pretty quick, and very smooth, braking seems to be very impressive.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Does anyone know if the MotoGP motor is the same as the Beardog/Go! motor or how it compares?

Running the modified Xzylon Go! chassis on my home track it nips around at least as quickly as my Scaley powered Honda
I did however notice that the mini-motor is quite sensitive to changes in loading - a little too much lead weight and it begins to struggle.

I will need to use some sort of mini motor in my Cooper Maserati and it is a concern that a brass chassis will be too much for the little critter!

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
The Beardog motor is shorter than the MotoGP one I think. My Beardog runs good enough for home circuit fun in my P68. About Ninco NC1 equivalent I'd guess. How it will show in the Poxy race is anyone's guess. But I'm looking at some hot armatures in the meantime and maybe one day a turned-down endbell...

·
Al Schwartz
3,396 Posts
QUOTE Does anyone know if the MotoGP motor is the same as the Beardog/Go! motor or how it compares?

The BearDog motor has the same cross section as the MotoGP and TMM motors but is much shorter and less powerful. It will take an HO arm so there is a range of after market bits that will fit. I believe that BWA is experimenting along these lines.

EM

·
Al Schwartz
3,396 Posts
A little ramble through the Mabuchi web site reveals the following:

The FK-050SH is the only "10 mm" motor listed as having carbon brushes. The most likely base configuration for the BearDog motor is the FF-030PA/PK series which has "precious metal" brushes - which appear to be simply plated spring brass strips.

Although the FK-050SH and the TMM that I have used appear to be identical in size and mounting configuration (and, on paper, electrical characteristics) they differ in that the Mabuchi motor has a set-in metal comm end like a Falcon, TSRF or Slot-It "flat 12" whereas the TMM has a plastic comm end piece like the BearDog motor.

I am trying to locate a source for a modest quantity of the FK-050SH motors. (Mabuchi doesn't want to talk about less than 10,000 pieces!)

I have dealt with Mabuchi in the past in product development and, of course, given a large enough order, they are quite prepared to change winding specs and brush specs so there is a real possibility that the MotoGP motor may be a variant . I'm pretty sure that the BearDog motor is an off-the-shelf component.

EM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts