SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In response to comments on another thread. I have decided to heed the advice and create a thread dedicated to motorbike related sport.

To start the ball rolling, here a few talking points:

Will Vinales be able to maintain a season long challenge?

Is Valentino Rossi now a glorified T-shirt salesman?

Will Marc Marquez return as his old self?

Can Sam Lowes win the Moto 2 World Championship?

Is Jake Dixon the next big (British) thing?

Are Aprillia really resurgent?

Will KTM rekindle the impressive form of last season?

Reactions: Wobble and Trisha

·
Kevs Racing Bits
2,734 Posts
Will mentioning F1 in this thread touch a raw nerve?

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Grumpy

Much laughter here at your suggestion that Rossi is a "glorified T-shirt salesman".

I must take interest in bikes this season. Much I've seen in the past seems terrifying, but very exciting.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I used to be a very keen motor bike racing fan , used to go to varius tracks to watch it , then things got a bit expensive and money was tight , so i tended to watch the splendid coverage we had years ago of many types of motor cycle racing on the telly.

But gradually that got less and less and the final straw was having to pay sky to watch it , so i declined their offer and at least i had the highlights , then to furthur deter me they started changing days and times of when the highlights were on, so my interest has got mostly, but occasionally do manage to find some to watch and in answer to the leading article i would like to say the following.

Vallentino was always great to watch he had it all but like all of us age has taken it,s toll he's still a great rider but champion no more, Vinales in my humble opinion is rather overated another good rider but just lacks something, Marc like Rossi in his prime is one of the best especially after he got on the best bike at that time and it suited his style of racing, many a time i winced watching him through bends and the amount of leaning he did , sometimes he came off but mostly stayed on.

The rest i have no idea about as i don't follow it all anymore, there have been some great riders Dovy is one , **** Dohan , right back to Barry Sheen , even furthur back to Hailwood yep i,m old enough to say i saw him live chuckle.

Motorcycle racing is rather like F1 in a way been priced out of our lives by the media , but if i can find any to watch normally i watch it as anyone on a bike at those speeds have guts.

·
Slot King
2,633 Posts
Only if you praise it
lmfao.gif

I don't think Marquez will return as his old self just yet, the clue is the infection they "found" whilst operating for the 2nd or 3rd time?

What damage did that do to the bone that they needed to scrape some from his hip to reinforce the arm? How many holes did they drill for the screws holding the plate that eventually broke? If the plate broke, how much were the screws rattling in the humerus to allow it to flex? The original fracture was bad, but was has happened since is far worst.

My guess is that the bone is at risk for the next 2 years.

Joel

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nah! B) ...

Free speech & all that ... You praise F1 up (if you really feel the need to do so) :O

... And I will put you right! :p

Reactions: longdog and Trisha

·
Electric model car driver
1,392 Posts
I started my motoring life on bikes and even now I keep perusing a local auction site to see if there is something out there that would get me on a bike again. The big thing that stops me is the horrendous rego costs here in NZ unless the vehicle is over 40 years old, so I prefer to pay the $100 odd to register our MX5 instead as it can sit in the garage for weeks without seeing the light of day. But to watch superbikes or F1 on the telly, it's bikes every time. If F1 is on I can't stay interested for more than 10mins and Formula E or whatever it's called gets me changing channels or leaving the room

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Biking folk needing relief from lockdown fatigue might like to consider building one of the many fantastic plastic kits on offer nowadays. I think it's Tamiya who make an especially good model of Honda's 250-6, which includes optional photo-etched parts that take detail to a very different level. The linked chain is quite a feat in itself.

Just a thought, chaps.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
In response to comments on another thread. I have decided to heed the advice and create a thread dedicated to motorbike related sport.

I believe Rossi has nothing to prove anymore, last time I remmember he was the only pilot who attended all GP races since his debut (90s?), he has won almost every championship in the bike racing World, love his style, attitude and kamikaze driving, hes the Senna of the biker scene(but unlike Senna, hes alive).

I do have some T-shirts of Rossi btw😀

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
We will tolerate you as long as you stop all this wailing
banana.gif

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts

OK, for what it's worth, here are my opinions to the questions, no doubt they will come along and bite me on my ar$e though!

Vinales is undoubtably very fast and very talented, but he can win one week and finish in 15th place the next. If he gets his head straight, he can do it.

Rossi has been an amazing rider and he obviously loves motorcycles but I would rather remember him as he was rather than see him take someone else's seat

Marquez can returns almost as strong as he was, but the first time that bike threatens to high side him the little maggot in his brain will start gnawing away. I can't remember any rider who has had an injury and more than 12 months off return as he was before the accident.

Yes, Sam Lowes can win the Moto 2 Championship, but only if he can keep his head, then he can do it.

Jake Dixon? He should have won at least one race last season, but he is not a small guy and needs to get on a MotoGP bike. Rossi's maybe?

Aprilia, they are starting to show promise but they have always had internal political issues, but they are starting to look more competitive.

KTM can maintain their form of last season, they have had a taste, now they need to keep building.

·
Autoavia
975 Posts
Prior to his accident the Marquez situation was much the same as F1 - a very talented rider on the best bike, which had been specifically developed to suit his riding style, so he dominated. Behind him were a good few riders who had the ability to win but the bike wasn't quite as good as the Honda so they didn't manage to catch Marquez.
I suspect Marquez would have been almost as quick on any other bike but having the Honda tailored to his requirements with no compromise to help team mates definitely gave him an edge.

With Marquez away there are plenty of riders out there who have the potential to win but I suspect Ducati will have the advantage at many circuits simply because he bike is so quick in a straight line.

I think it will be an interesting season.

·
Eddie Grice
2,298 Posts
Much the same in World Superbikes, no one been able to stop Jonathan Rea/Kawasaki winning year on year. I'm no expert on this but I suspect he's not got any great machinery advantage but stand to be corrected on that?
Eddie

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
What about Suzuki's showing? They are still lacking in qualifying pace but their race pace is good although those Ducati's are so quick!

On the subject of Superbikes, I am with BT television and the rotten swines have taken Eurosport off my package, so any suggestions how I can watch WSBK? Apart from that, I think Kawasaki have brought the first real upgrade for a few years for Jonathan Rea and the team this year so that should be interesting.

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
When I retired a few years ago I took up MiniMoto racing. Similarly minded ol' fools and I pounded around a kart track near Weobley, Herefordshire, every Monday until it got so dark, that we couldn't see the tarmac'.

I've NEVER had so much fun...

...well, until I left the pits with a burning tobacco pipe in my pocket, and set myself on fire. Idiot.

·
John Roche
4,181 Posts
I've got a Eurosport app which lets me watch British and World Superbikes on line for around a fiver a month. Other sports are available too apparently.

Cheers,

John

1 - 20 of 66 Posts