SlotForum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Hi all,

I've said in many a thread before that I'll buy a Moto GP bike whatever they go like, whether they lean or not. And not a lot of people agreed with me.

Some say they are too big, some moan about the leaningness (or lack thereof), and some people just won't buy them because they are not cars.

I'm still gonna buy one though, I mean, you've got to try one for yourself, and if your quick you will still be the first one with one at your club. It's great being the first person to own something new because everyone wants to look at it, or try it so you can get all sorts of things in return. Similarly, if you convince others to buy them, you can get great deals out of the dealer near you who's selling them. I had one of the first Fly controllers in the country and now about 5 people at my club have transfered. I also believe that a few of you may have bought the Fly Lola or Racing Lola on what I have said, I know that people at my club have.

So anyway, this 'I'll wait 'til someone/everyone else gets one' attitude may save you money in the short term, the 'I'll buy one and use it as a bargaining chip' can also save you money, sometimes more.

Anyway, I have no particular strong feelings about the Moto GP bikes, but I'm going to buy one anyway. Who's with me?

Lotus

PS. This is NOT a thread for people to say 'I'm not buying one because....'. It is a thread for people to say 'I'm buying one, but for no particular reason.'

EDIT: Check it out, post number 666... maybe that's why I'm promoting Hornby stuff...

EDIT, EDIT: AH! Just become 13th highest poster on Slot Forum as well. I think I'll stay inside the house tomorrow... and away from any sharp objects...

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
QUOTE (lotus03 @ 30 May 2004, 23:56)I also believe that a few of you may have bought the Fly Lola or Racing Lola on what I have said, I know that people at my club have.
I want one of those more than I want to breath. If you'll give me £45 then I'll gladly go and buy one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the moto GP bikes are certainly original, but they do look to big for me. I am fairly confident my cousin will be buying some in the near future so I'll see what they are like then. Leaningness doesnt really bother me, as long as they slide I aint bothered.

It'd be intresting if you did an in-depth reveiw for the resources section, might change a few opinions.

Good luck in your purchases.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
If the club had a class for them to run now, I would buy one tomorrow no question.

At the moment it is still a few weeks until a new bike class is created at the local club, rather than buy more shelf queens purchase one nearer the time.

Certainly intend to pick up a couple, especially after having a quick go. I envisage that racing against other people with the same equipment, which is always, a good leveller should be good fun.

Witnessing another member turn up with something new always draws interest from fellow racers, usually followed up with members opening their wallets or adding an item to the ever growing wish list.

Very handy if you can physically see the item & even better have a go, makes for the best type of 'review'.

James

·
DT
5,195 Posts
QUOTE (LMP04 @ 31 May 2004, 15:35)It'd be intresting if you did an in-depth reveiw for the resources section, might change a few opinions.
Well if somebody would like to send us a couple of bikes we could race, photograph, evaluate and talk about them in depth.

No one seems to have bought two or more and we haven't yet received any word on how they work together on the track.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you want me to do a review for Slot Forum? No-one's done one yet have they?

Well if not, I'll just post it up here somewhere and see what you guys think.

Lotus

PS. I'm surprised anyone replied to that post...

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Built a Carrera tri-oval in the garden with my three Argos sets to prove if my theory about the new bikes working better on smooth, flat track. Sorry, no pics - wife got that in Poland right now.

Well...

Still very hard to do consistent laps with. These things wheelie and de-slot very easily, especially coming out of a bend. Unless I trickled around the bends it was out. Fair whizzed down the starights though.

Of course, the wide slot gap of Carrera meant the bike's magnet was not working as efectively as it would on Sport, which after all is the track they were designed for. So, unitl I try one on Sport track I have to say I think racing these is, in any speed related sense of the word, all but impossible.

Took the opportunity to try a few other cars on the Carrera. Most ran nicely although with no magnets the low grip of the track makes for lots of fish-tailing. No one around to race against, bit I'd say the low grip means that Carrera would be easy to race on thanks to the smooth surface and deep slot, but difficult due to the lack of traction. I suspect a smooth throttle finger will be needed - that's me out then!

Scott

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The funny thing is with Carrera, that if you have clean, fresh, soft tyres the grip is outstanding. But with anything else it's poor. Moto GP bikes have soft rubber on the back I believe, so loads of grip.

I will have mine out ready for the bike's arrival Wednesday morning...

Lotus

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I like the sound of wheelies, maybe the bikes need a drop arm guide

oh and regarding the track grip - the wheel is on the rails! Tho I guess in the case of carrera and ninco, it is partly on the insulating sleeve between the rails

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
carrera behave similar to an mdf track just juice up your tyres and the grips great ,dont soak it or youll get a mess alturnatively run ortmans

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Funny you should say that Astro, I thought a drop arm would have been a good idea. And a stabiliser on the back too.

Funny you should say that Grah1, an old French F1 Tyrrell I have just bought Ortmans for was fastest of all around the Carrera in the garden.

Being back outside with slot cars reminded me that someone sometime somewhere say that Carrera can withstand being left outside - yes/no? My perennial dream of having my own 24 hour race n the garden surfaced and I wonder if Carrera is the way to do it.

Scott

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have already one, but here in Rome only Valentino's Honda is available until now; when others will arrive, I'll buy another to race together : my son love them!
Ciao

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (lotus03 @ 31 May 2004, 20:03)The funny thing is with Carrera, that if you have clean, fresh, soft tyres the grip is outstanding. But with anything else it's poor. Moto GP bikes have soft rubber on the back I believe, so loads of grip.
Isn't that irrelevant Lotus, seeing as the rear wheel travels along the slot rails/slot itself?

Devil's advocate.
Mark.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE Took the opportunity to try a few other cars on the Carrera. Most ran nicely although with no magnets the low grip of the track makes for lots of fish-tailing

Play devil's advocate all you want, the quote says CAR and that's what he, and I, were talking about. Smartass...

Lotus

·
Registered
480 Posts
Had a pair since wednesday, they DONT STAY ON the track at ANY speed, my biker mates have been looking forward for their release for ages but unless they want them to stuff on their mantlepeice Im telling them not to bother!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Any review has to be on SPORT track. It will be a complete waste of time and effort otherwise.

On a short home SPORT circuit I am getting 3.0 seconds with my rocket MG Lola, 3.3 seconds with my sidewinder NASCAR and 4.4 seconds with a MotoGP bike. They should outrun a box standard Focus which I haven't yet tested. The track has no borders. These are all box standard with magnets. I simply am unable to wheelie the bike at all on SPORT track. I could understand why this might happen on Carrera track.

The bike is seen to clearly slide as it brakes as the back end kicks out slightly. They do not slide on the corners in box standard form and I don't see how they could due to the location of the guide in between the wheels.

There are marks appearing on the rear tyre where it is running on the edges of the guide groove. It would be absolutely pointless to sand the back tyres as I cannot see that you would gain anything from the excercise due to their profile and there probably is not the need to anyway.

The bikes can deslot on corners but its a case of getting used to their limits and then lapping consistently. That will make for a winning race. I can see why the tendency to deslot on Carrera track may be increased and the only solution is going to be to use extra downforce to give the MotoGP bike SPORT equivalent type handling.

I have not added any weight yet anywhere but plan to experiment in the future.

Moped

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks for that moped, What a choice scrap my recently finished scenic layout with
mainly scx track, or keep the bikes? Difficult one that!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE Any review has to be on SPORT track. It will be a complete waste of time and effort otherwise.

I am doing the review on Ninco and Carrera track. Why? Because people with this kind of track want to know how they will go on their club or home circuit if they buy one. So in fact, not at all pointless, eh moped?

So when you say a 'complete waste of time' what do you really mean by that?

Anyway, who are you to say that anything I do is a waste of time? Sod off if you don't have anything productive to input.

Lotus

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The only way these are going to be reviewed properly is by a MotoGP enthusiast who up until now has only had diecast static replicas available and who will be looking at these for the first time and will be preparing a review for a first time purchaser of a slot bike set.

These cannot be compared to cars and if they are to be reviewed by a current slot car user then it appears inevitable that car comparisons are going to be made with the prejudices that we appear to be already witnessing.

These have been designed with Scalextric SPORT track in mind and the sets are to be sold with Scalextric SPORT track. A first review should take place on SPORT track only otherwise it is going to be very confusing for the newcomers who will be purchasing these sets or bikes.

And a pair of these will have to be reviewed and raced as it is the racing experiance and excitement that the review should focus on, not how these handle to any great detail because the newcomers to this hobby who will be purchasing these won't care a tinkers about how they run but will car about the sort of fun experiance that they can expect when they are raced. These are for home racing and if you cannot provide us with a report of your experiance with racing a few of these at home and having a bit of fun with friends then maybe you should pass and allow somebody else to look at these?

Second and subsequent reviews can then look at tuning aspects to help readers who possess track other than SPORT to operate these as designed. A serious of articles may well be more interesting than a "jack of all trades" type of review which has a stated aim of being a first test covering running aspects on a multitude of track types and surfaces. Remember also that certain track configurations will provide a more enjoyable race experiance than others, so again a review offering guidance here would be very useful.

Moped

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
The points you raise about being reviewed by die-cast bike collectors has some validity from what people here have deduced to be the marketing plan and impetus for the scalextric bikes.

However, and it is a big however - such a review would be mainly of interest to the members of a die-cast bike collectors forum. The people here have an interest in slot CARS already, and also already possess a variety of track systems.

So the most relevant review HERE on THIS forum is one that answers the questions that the members of THIS forum are interested in!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.