Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The topic has resurfaced so lets discuss it here so as not to spoil another thread. maybe the moderators could move the relevent posts.

The scale speed is much quicker than as reported by Astro if you do the calculations. In fact the speed is almost scale which is certainly better than most slot cars.

And as for the retrograde step backwards remark from Astro. Is not that what many folk here at Slotforum are craving for?

A slower form of slot car racing where the vehicles are visible?

And we all know how good the bike detail is so the fact we can all see it when going around the circuit is a bonus.

And Astro. Were you not speaking with Adrian Norman when he mentioned this Ford Focus thing?

Why did you not speak up then?

I did and said to Adrian that if they perform as well as that then they will be fantastic. We all have to have levels of reality and it is very hard to make a 2 wheeled slot bike perform like an MG Lola!

Moped

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I would love it if moto GP had been or in the future becomes a success. They do look great.

It is not for me to guess why, but it has been told directly to me that sales from my local hobby shop have been surprisingly poor, and they were told by the scalextric rep that this was the same at other shops.

The performance of the bikes probably has nothing to do with the sales of such a new product - ppl do not know that they are good or bad until AFTER they have bought them, and what the ppl on here think has no affect on newcomers to the hobby.

However,I am interested in the scale speed of the bikes. Please can a few bike owners do some lap times and circuit lengths so as an accademic exercise we can get an idea of what the scale spped actually is? (dont forget - only scale up by 18 instead of 32!!!!) I dont think my guestimate will be far off for a twisty size 4 scalextric home layout, and there is still the proviso that they will go quicker when banked curves appear, but how fast are they now?

cheers

Dave

·
Registered
154 Posts
What exactly does that mean Moped ??

It obviously means in some shape or form you have a vested interest does it not or are you still just an innocent bystander??
I still am no further forward in ascertaining if you have an affiliation, is it really that hard to state or are you deliberately being vague ?

Back to the MotoGP my friends new set a Sport set 3 the cars that came with the set were approx twice as fast as the bikes with far more propensity to de slot (no exact times were available as the set didnt come with lap timer) but suffice to say the difference was clearly evident.

I dont know if this is expected and something Scalextric would guage as being about right but it certainly didnt impress both myself or my friend who i presume is the target market for the MotoGP set. IE the first timer buying the set because of his interest in biking .

·
Registered
899 Posts
I think mine is arriving shortly. Ours have been adjusted somewhat and that came from the only bloke out here who would know. I don't know what that means, something to do with the skids and the little rider was made lighter. But they were definately held off and I'll have a look and whip up some photos if they look wildly different. Might be like the time the older F1's turned up in Oz back in about '86 completely different to the UK jobbies. . Like I said, I'll give it the once over, when it arrives, I have a New Sport, old Classic and now almost completed craftwood rally track so that will sort it out. Three cars per week for a while now means I'm a little behind in my playtime.

·
John Roche
4,155 Posts
When I first heard about the bikes iwas very excited as were a number of my motorcycling friends who are not into slots.

As soon as it was known that they wouldn't lean into corners that interest evaporated.

They are beautiful models but the only reason I would buy one would be as an ornament and I would use the motor for something else, perhaps a 60's GP car.

John

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
Kevin, I strongly suspect that Mope is a shareholder in Hornby Hobbies. I once thought he genuinely was an employee but I don't believe he lives any where near Margate or Shanghai.

Remember, he is the one who has quoted vast chunks of the Annual Accounts to us, he has mentioned the share price previously, he is the one who brought that 'investor relations' award to our attention and he is the one who got a little present from Hornby at the toy fair.

I can't believe that anyone would think a one-man-mission to ramp the stock would really work.

Just don't go expecting a straight answer from the lad - he'll not come clean. (double bluff! Oops! Telegraphed it!)

As for the MotoGP, I thought it had kinda dropped off the radar here recently, thanks for dredging it up again.

I note in the other thread the bold claim that 1000 stockists have bought 7 bikes each, equating to 7000+ sold. Well, sold in doesn't equal sold out, now, does it? If prices are being reduced already that would suggest that they aren't flying out of the door and dealers are blinking. Didn't Pendle discount them on pre-order?

Having now seen them run I think I was right, right back at the start, to say it was duff. White elephant was the phrase I used. Two years in the catalogue is what I gave them.

They aren't fast enough in the corners, they tilt outwards in the corners if they ain't visiting the scenery and the stabilizers make a racket scraping their sorry skids along the plexy.

Several of our club members have brought them down to the track to try out and all have swiftly returned them to the packaging after minimal laps tired of having to go pick them up, brush of the driver and re-slot them.

One word.

Four letters.

Duff.

·
Registered
549 Posts
QUOTE I may have been the inspiration behind MotoGP.
My God, you flatter yourself!!

I agree with you Wankel totally, and from dealers I have spoken to they have all given me a nervous laugh when I mention Scalex bikes, probably because they know how many are left in their stockroom.

I think theye will be lucky to still be around in two years - the initial idea was great, but putting it into practise was far from the original ideal.

However, we are all very lucky because Moped is here to remind us how wonderful they are (along with anything Scalextric or Hornby) and how they will be the next 'sliced bread'. It is just a shame that all moped can do is hide behind questions and ignore those questions asked of him. For someone with so much information and expert knowledge, isn't it funny that he will not even give us his website address?

Look, there goes mopeds credibility flying out of the window........

Aaron

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
QUOTE Remember, he is the one who has quoted vast chunks of the Annual Accounts to us, he has mentioned the share price previously, he is the one who brought that 'investor relations' award to our attention and he is the one who got a little present from Hornby at the toy fair.

I thought it was Russell Sheldon that did all this. I don't ever recall boring you with any of the above apart from the "investor relations award" because it was my view that any awards that Hornby win would be good for the hobby and Hornby did ask for support on their website. And having put many hours into organising internet slot car events it was a very nice and unexpected gesture on the part of Hornby. So thank you again Hornby and I very much look forward to seeing the fruits at next years London Toy Fair!

Moped

PS Aaron, please see my comment elsewhere and Wankel, please keep quite on the website front. I basically do not want my bandwidth used up with visits from 800 lurkers. Does that make common sense?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I used to think that Slotting was very different from my other main hobby of Wargaming. Well not any more! Here we have a very interesting battle ongoing. Moped is doing a Wellington, defending a hopeless position from a reverse slope position whilst being assaulted from all sides! Can he counter attack and win the day? After all Napoleon lost the battle of Marengo at 3pm and won it back again at 6pm!

Perhaps not as ammo seems to be running low and the troops are tired, morale is low and the cavalry will not arrive to save the day. Luckily Mope, you are no Samurai otherwise the shame of a defeat only ends one way...an honourable suicide! I stand by with the offer of a fast horse to aid your escape from this field of carnage, perhaps others may consider your fate to be exile on St. Helena, just like Napoleon. You have met your Waterloo...Surrender!!!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its good that most of us here have two hobbies! We occasionally need a breather.

That sounds like the call for a new topic. Although I had better go and visit Mr Postie first or else Aaron will think I am sitting around doing nothing!

Moped

·
Registered
549 Posts
QUOTE and visit Mr Postie first or else Aaron will think I am sitting around doing nothing!
Explain this moped (assuming you have any idea what you are talking about anyway and most of us have come to realise that you in fact have no idea)

Okay. Mopeds website is *****.* though I doubt that there will be enough interest to use up your bandwidth Moped. However, since you for some reason would not tell us what it was I thought I would do so instead.

Aaron

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Brings me back to my good old school days - group of 30 14yr olds chanting:

"Fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight" (!!!
)

Now everyone crowd round so teacher can't see.

Matt

PS on topic - haven't bought a MotoGP but might have to 'invest' as a retirement bonus if they are going to be withdrawn. However I envisage Hornby developing and by phase III they will lean and won't need stabilsers and will be pronounced 'the bees knees'. Phase I (now) and II will be held up as innovative products that did not quite deliver to expectations but are great examples of a product in development.

PPS I have an affiliation to GetSlotted (maybe we should have a members register declaring our interests so everyone is aware)

Edit: you Moderatros are just too damn quick!

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Hey guys. Lets keep personal insults off the Forums. Please use email for that.

Now back to the topic...

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
in reply to Mopeds query asking why he should have to quote facts figures and sources, which he has since edited and deleted:

I agree that moped should not have to provide facts and sources. Even when the facts are - shops saying sales are abysmal, reps saying sales are dissapointing, shops are discounting the products, Moped still uses these facts to prove that the bikes are a roaring success!!!!

·
Registered
876 Posts
QUOTE I stand by with the offer of a fast horse to aid your escape

...why not a Moto GP
!!!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
We've all got other hobbies yes, and saying that I feel tired so I think some sleep wouldnt go amiss, anyway

MotoGP? nah cant be arsed aint worth it tbh,they dont lean and handle like a bag of sheete.

Forgot to mention.. Slot Car Club.. I hear no bike in there

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Because Da Vols mate they are clearly not fast enough!! Mind you i suppose horses don`t lean. perhaps this is all about horses for courses (groan!!)?

It`s all good fun guys no matter what your opinion. After all you can never understand some peoples thinking... Mope may becoming the slot version of a certain Swiss football referee!!!
See it can always be worse

1 - 20 of 74 Posts