SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Here we go, back to redefining the English language.

That information has been floating about for some time.
It is certainly NOT a "full blown bike review" and if that is "perform superbly", then I'd hate to see what was considered to be merely mediocre.

Such grossly exaggerateded descriptions can only annoy readers whose expectations are raised to hyerbolic heights that can never be matched in reality and, in the process, does Scalextric a grave disservice.
All it does is invite ridicule, which I am quite certain is not what Scalextric would wish.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well I must be the only one who feels they don't really run that great. The shallow guide that Scalextric insists on keeping around hurts the performance of this bike a great deal.

This is very evident upon hard acceleration, even more so in the corners. I have had over 10 different racers here in our shop test this bike so far and this seems to be the only issue we can find.

According to Scalextric, these bikes will perform better on the new banked curves...so when I get some I will test even more.

Good effort though...and has potential. I just feel it needs a little more attention in the guide department before I even begin to worry about making it lean

Harry

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE I must be the only one who feels they don't really run that great
Far from it, Harry, and welcome on one of your too infrequent visits!

I too saw all of these videos a while ago and while they are WELL worth a look, they do not even pretend to show off 'superb performance' as wildly claimed further up the page. It's just a gentle trundle round a track without any element of competition at all. I agree with Meco, that it would be much better to simply draw attention to the product and not try to praise it to a ridiculous level that it cannot hope to achieve.
Very very silly.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
A few early bikes are doing the rounds to gather feedback.
But production models are not on sale anywhere yet.
It will be interesting to see if the bikes receive a simultaneous pan-world launch or whether they will be phased in gradually over different regions and which countries might be first to have them on the shelves.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Why do folk continue to compare the performance expectations of the MotoGP bikes with those of cars?

These are a totally different animal and the performance appears to be superb relative to earlier observations and comment made.

Maybe Slotforum should have a new section dedicated to MotoGP bike racing so that we may think bike rather than car?

I take the above link to lead to a review all be it one with many pictures and few words. This may well be a better style of review than the standard type that we are used to due to the nature of the product under review. The high detail is clearly evident in the very clear pictures and bikes are dissasembled so that we are able to appreciate the excellent detail and work that has gone into these on the part of Hornby.

And then there are video downloads of the bikes circumnavigating a number of circuits allthough none have banking.

The author of the link may well consider his work to be a review and I would like more reviews like it please so that we can draw our own conclusions rather than have those drawn for us!

It is evident that these bikes run well and provide instant racing straight out of the box and have very high detail comparable with or better than die-cast so what more could the home racer ask for?

Moped

·
DT
5,195 Posts
If there is a demand from a couple more people, we might create a Bike section. We'll see how it goes.

If anyone who gets one of these bike wishes to write something up, we can post it as a review. Any takers?

Photos look good, but it would be good to get some info on how they race. What is the sensation? Do kids enjoy them? Do bikers get a kick out of it or are they disappointed?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE Why do folk continue to compare the performance expectations of the MotoGP bikes with those of cars?
Why indeed - the simple answer is that they don't.
I see no posts up there comparing the bikes' performance with cars.

The videos show a solo bike making a rather leisurely circuit navigation simply to allow us to see it, in action, on a track. This is excellent and I congratulate Alan, Paul and the rest of the crew for providing this opportunity. But by by no normal standard could this be legitimately termed a 'superb performance' and to use such exaggerated language simply invites the critical comments that follow. The comments are not aimed at the bikes but at the obvious exaggeration.

The link referred to is in no way a review. It is actually described as a picture gallery and a picture gallery is not a review - not even in the art world. A review, amongst other things necessarily requires decriptions, performance data and impressions. Otherwise we might as well just look at a pretty catalogue. Nuro asks sensible questions, the sort of things people will actually want to know and which a review will answer or at least give an impression and opinion upon.

As for a slot-bike section on the board, given a reasonable demand, I would be absolutely all for it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
This afternoon I've tried the bike; yes, impossible to compare to cars, and probably a careful matching with the controller is a strong point. I have used a modified Parma 25 ohm, with some difficulty to control the power.
Our track is a Ninco, so it's possible that on Scalextric things will be different, but expect some hard work to make the bike fast and reliable.
However the model is beautiful, deserves attention and I think I'll buy it.
Ciao

·
Registered
514 Posts
The bikes look stunning on those pictures, although they do seem like a hassle to disassemble/reassemble...
Good to see there is some help for that in the album. I imagine it will be useful if I decide to buy some, unless Scalextric have included a manual with the bikes.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Moped, thanks for the link to the review. However, you keep telling us 'to make up our own minds' AND 'that the bikes look stunning and perform superbly', and then seem to be annoyed at other people when they do make their minds up and express their opinions!

My opinion is that the bikes look stunning, but speed is very dissappointingly. As pointed out in previous threads, the bikes seem to make slower lap times than cars, and due to the scale difference (1:18 as opposed to 1:32) this speed difference is compounded. You expect a bike to be quicker and nippier than a car.

Without propper play testing on banked curves, it is not really fair to judge the bikes' performance, because with slot cars, a slow car that handles nicely and predictably can be more fun to drive than a faster car.

Personally I do not intend to buy them - since moto GP and bikes in general are not one of my loves, and the scale is wrong for the detail, figures and buildings on my track. But I hope thay are a success and bring more people into the hobby.

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Like you Astro I too will refrain from buying them ,my own feelings are whilst they look great they are too big . I wont go into all the leaning no leaning nonsense but suffice to say my own opinion is that a bike should lean but with the cost of production and the difficultys involved I dont see that its viable for any manufacturer to go down this route,I 'll stick to cars and if I want bikes I'll make my own in 1/32 scale

·
Alan Tadd
4,035 Posts
I agree with the comments above. I think the bikes look great and I'm sure it will introduce a lot more people into the hobby, but they are not for me. Not for any scale or leaning issues, just because I don't really like bikes.

The motor they use is, however of great interest as it seems to offer a great deal of potential for the scratchbuilder, I would like more details if anyone has them, such as shaft diameter, i.e. will it take a standard pinion, and RPM. Hopefully they will be released shortly after the bikes themselves.

Well done Scalextric for making this bold move.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've lifted a few quotes from posts on SCi, by "Scaleracing". These are probably the closest there is out there to a review/opinion yet!

"Paul and I had too much fun racing these, nothing like racing Slot Cars, but personally that is what I like about them"

"They are a delicate balance of skill and patience, a hoot to race, and they can go over the limit and crash very easily. It is very easy to improve the handling, for faster lap times if you feel that necessary. Just add a flat magnet to the underside of the bikes fairing and you have a completely different machine."

"I would liken them to riding or racing a Motorcycle in the wet, it is easy to crash if you push too hard."

"you can run for more magnet, then the lap times tumble, but when you do crash the impacts are a lot harder."

"We have found in testing that most people are quicker without brakes, this allows for a smoother driving style which is critical for the Moto GP Bikes."

"I have run them without magnets, and they need a lot of weight near the guide to make them work. They need weight even with magnets "

I'd say the jury's still out, but the main message is that they are different from anything raced before.

To read the whole post follow this link:

http://p075.ezboard.com/fpockitfrm2.showMe...icID=9164.topic

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
QUOTE They look stunning and perform superbly

QUOTE so that we can draw our own conclusions rather than have those drawn for us!

Hmmm... do I need to say any more?

I can't view the videos on the 'review' site. The video opens and I hear the first 3 seconds of audio, but no pictures. Then windows tells me that a problem has occured and it shuts media player.
Can anyone help?

BTW: I don't follow MotoGP, but I'm gonna buy at least one bike (Rossi/Repsol) just to have something different. If you're not going to buy them, and you never intended on buying them, then I don't see why you think you can start bitching about them.

Moped, we are not comparing them to cars, but we do want them to handle somewhat like other slot-mobiles, as otherwise they will be a pig to drive. So long as they can churn out consistant laps that's OK by me. If they are fast, consistant laps then that's even better.

Lotus

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE I can't view the videos on the 'review' site.
Try right clicking a file and then select "Save Target as. . "
(not save PICTURE as")
I usually download straight onto the desktop and then, on completion of download, play the file from the desktop. This usually works well - give it a try.

QUOTE If you're not going to buy them, and you never intended on buying them, then I don't see why you think you can start bitching about them.
This seems rather an inappropriate comment.
I don't think see anyone 'bitching' about the bikes.
In any case, if there are aspects that people don't like, they are entitled to state them as reasons for not buying in exactly the same way as those aspects that are liked might be reasons FOR buying!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I knew someone would quote me on that...

QUOTE you never intended on buying them

It is those who say "I hate motorbikes, so I would never buy these." And then later say, "They are crap because they don't lean". Why do they care? They weren't ever going to buy them... I'd like to see them design a bike that leaned... We've had some of the best technical slot minds behind that problem ever since Hornby announced them and we haven't been able to come up with a viable option. Why should Hornby be able to?

The way I see it, they have provided the best they can for the bike-lovers market, and hope that some slotters will buy them too. What's wrong with that?

Lotus

PS. If Hornby hadn't have made these bikes, what would we have been talking about for the last 6 months...

PPS. Did try that Tropi, still didn't work...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts