SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Technical details form Hornby

The Scalextric MotoGP bikes will be powered by a small electric motor that will drive the rear wheel. Electricity will be delivered via a discrete guide blade mounted between the wheels. The front wheel will be free spinning and in contact with the track surface. The bikes have been designed to emulate the appearance and performance of the real MotoGP bikes. This represents the first authentic motorbike slot racing system and widens the stable of Scalextric products dramatically.

End notes

That's al the information that i'v got about the HOW

Introduction late sping next year
I't an intresting development and I can't wait to try one of these bikes

Gerard

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'll admit I did a quick mental check on today's date (ie it's not April 1st)

Assuming it IS true, put me down for a Rossi, Biagi, Capirossi, Gibernau, Hayden......

I'll have them all

-Rob

·
Registered
186 Posts
this does sound very interesting- but it sounds like this will have to be a new product, with new track- a bike can't run on a slot track because it'll be in the slot....

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Strangely enough I was thinking about how to do slot-car bikes while reading Fast Bikes mag yesterday!

Trouble is though how will they look like bikes when running? Any natural lean in corners will be the wrong way and superbikes don't tail slide very often...

I've seen some dirt bikes for HO track and they were quite clever. The running gear was a conventional HO chassis in a track-coloured box. The bikes were moulded on top with the front wheel solid mounted and the rear wheel free to swing so that the bike drifted speedway style through corners. This was a bit of a trick really though as neither bike wheel was 'real'.

I'd be very interested to see these.

Coop

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
QUOTE I wonder if this was after a suggestion from Moped.

Can't be! or we would be seeing Scalextric 50cc Moped racing wouldn't we??

·
Registered
94 Posts
G'day Guys,

Great news.........

...providing the ''system'' Scalextric uses works in a realistic manner! Does anyone remember the KYOSHO brand R/C GP bikes from the late 80's early 90's??

We used to race them as a seperate event in our on-road RC club. Initially we had the class for 1/24 Tamiya Tamtech cars, but some ''bright spark'' thought the Kyosho bikes were a better idea, so we got them and used our Tamtech radio gear in them.

Entertaining??? More like ultimate frustration, tank slapping, more wobbling than a ''fat arsed lady on a pushbike''!

Loving (for the most part anyway) Scalextric products, I place my faith in them with this project.

If they are half way decent, we'll be starting a class for them at our home circuit, two of my mates are mad keen MotoGP fans, plus cousin Martin in Brizzie, WOW, think of all the new people I will now be able to ''infect'' with our great hobby!!!!

Best Wishes,

Rob Wessling.

MILLENNIUM RACEWAY Slot Racing at Darling Downs, Q.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I had a think about how slotbikes could be achieved while I was bored at work this afternoon. (This is just one way I could envisage it working, I'm not alluding to secret knowledge or anything!)

Bikes are chain-driven right? So they have a big gear on the rear wheel. If this was a crown gear, then a little motor could be concealed inside the cowling/under the fuel tank and drive the crown through a propshaft - and of course Hornby have just released a front-engined, propshaft driven car (the Tuscan). Of course there would be a visible pinion but if this was discreet, say black instead of the usual white, then that wouldn't be too much of a problem.

We already know the blade will sit between the two wheels.

As for the tilt, I just can't see how they will achieve that. Perhaps they won't tilt and the bikes will be moulded already in a 'getting the knee down' pose which would certainly make them more stable as they would be wider. They'd then look right going through half the corners and wrong through the others.

How do those little RC bikes handle it?

Coop

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
I think this could be a very good move by Hornby. It certainly should bring a lot more people into the hobby. The sidecars are fun, but not different enough to appeal to the biking fraternity.

Mr.M

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would think that Hornby has thought these out well enough that they will work quite well. I am looking forward to seeing the first pictures of them. I used to slot drag race at a commercial track and several guys had slot pro stock drag bikes, and they were all belt driven with a toothed belt, I wonder if Scalextric will go this route or possibly some sort of shaft drive.

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
I really do hope that they are 1/32nd scale.... it's been done before, back in 1966!

When Aurora researched making an HO motorcycle, they immediately realised that it was impossible to make it anywhere near 1/87th scale, using existing T-Jet components, which they wanted to do as new tooling would have been too expensive.

Aurora's R+D Department therefore wanted to use common parts between the existing Thunderjet cars and the motorcycle. With scale out the window, it turned out to be closer to 1/32 scale.

The chassis is actually a T-Jet chassis turned sideways. Different gearing was used to better control the speed. The pick-up shoes helped balance the bike and the rear wheel is actually a concealed gear, with two thin tires attached. The power goes directly to the rear wheel. The chassis halves show a silver "Harley" engine and the rider is attached to the handlebar only, so when the bike goes down he realistically "high-sides".

The challenge for Scalextric will be to get the bikes to lean towards the inside when cornering...

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Registered
773 Posts

...a BMW R75/5...

and a Honda CB750

...old stuff, nothing new if the bikes don't move - dropping into a cûrve would be a nice feauture!

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I can't see how they could possibly drop into the curves the right way though, but yes WOULD be cool!

QUOTE The sidecars are fun, but not different enough to appeal to the biking fraternity.

So these are not different enough?

How about these?

Reworked, heads/helmets from a German dealer I forget the name of right now and a little magnatraction added in the shape of a Scaley Sport button magnet between the motor and rear axle... Oh! plus lights of course

1 - 20 of 107 Posts