SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Russell Sheldon
2,846 Posts
I really do hope that they are 1/32nd scale.... it's been done before, back in 1966!

When Aurora researched making an HO motorcycle, they immediately realised that it was impossible to make it anywhere near 1/87th scale, using existing T-Jet components, which they wanted to do as new tooling would have been too expensive.

Aurora's R+D Department therefore wanted to use common parts between the existing Thunderjet cars and the motorcycle. With scale out the window, it turned out to be closer to 1/32 scale.

The chassis is actually a T-Jet chassis turned sideways. Different gearing was used to better control the speed. The pick-up shoes helped balance the bike and the rear wheel is actually a concealed gear, with two thin tires attached. The power goes directly to the rear wheel. The chassis halves show a silver "Harley" engine and the rider is attached to the handlebar only, so when the bike goes down he realistically "high-sides".

The challenge for Scalextric will be to get the bikes to lean towards the inside when cornering...

Kind regards,

Russell

· Russell Sheldon
2,846 Posts
I seem to recall that Polistil made a 1/24th scale motorcycle, that did lean into the corners. The guide was attached to a lever that actuated the movement... but my memory is fading, so I could be wrong!

Scalextric motorcycles, hmmmm. Hornby has of course just recently released some 1/32nd scale static kits and I was wondering if there is a link somewhere with Airfix. Airfix produce some rather nice 1/24th scale motorcycle kits... I wonder...

Kind regards

Russell

· Russell Sheldon
2,846 Posts
I really do hope that you are wrong on this, Phil... It doesn't sound as if they would be too different to the Aurora bikes from the 1960's.....

If we really can't have 1/32nd scale bikes, 1/24th scale would be better than 1/18th. The level of detail of the 1/24th scale IXO diecast bikes is simply stunning:

Kind regards

Russell

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.