SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 107 Posts

· Registered
721 Posts
I hate to be a wet blanket but, unless Scalextric have come up with some extraordinarily imaginitive way to make the bikes react in a realistic manner, I honestly can't see these being anything but a shortlived, flash-in-the-pan novelty buy. But I would like to be proved wrong.

· Registered
46 Posts
I hope they have figured out away to make them lean into the corners, maybe some sort of set up like the Ninco cars with the steerable front wheels connected to the guide, something to where when the guide turns the bike leans maybe? It will be to fun to see them as they develop. Great looking Carrera bikes Thomas.

· Registered
778 Posts
thx for the compliments about the Carrera-bikes - they are rare collector items - and no longer in my hands. Much to expensive to use them - and I prefer to race my cars... No shelve-queens - and they made a nice holiday-trip possible for the whole family by plane - not Easy-Jet - it's been Swiss
The airline, not the slotter

If Scalex finds a way that the bikes are leaning into the curves - I'll lose the whole budget for next year to get them all

· Registered
5,404 Posts
I wonder if Adrian could be persuaded to mention anything about scale?
There is a fairly natural assumption that they would be 1/32 scale, but it ain't necessarily so! There would be quite a good case for making them bigger than 1/32, perhaps 1/24 or even larger. This would overcome any tendency to pop wheels into the slot and there is plenty of room on the track for bikes this size.

· Registered
756 Posts
Thinking on... The scale 'issue'....

The Ninco karts are significantly larger than 1/32.... and being as the only thing you race against a Ninco kart is... another one, there's no issue there - same thing will be true with the bikes.

-Rob

· Premium Member
7,877 Posts
QUOTE I honestly can't see these being anything but a shortlived, flash-in-the-pan novelty buy.

No, Meco. We're not talking about Digital in this thread.

Hmmm, Scaley want to make motorbikes? They are those "half a car" things that expose you to the elements, don't have any nice bodywork and expose their engines. Never seen the point in 'em 1:1 so can't comprehend there'll be a market for 1:32nd versions.

· Registered
721 Posts
The perceived wisdom is that Ninco Karts are 1/18 scale.
That same scale would have the potential for beautifully detailed bikes with a decent size motor as well as wheels. If they were to be that kind of size and Scalextric incorporate a realistic tilting mechanism, I might well have to change my opinion and I would be very happy to do so!

BTW, I am very impressed by Thomas's pics of the Carrera bikes, other than the silly little trolleys they have to run in!

· John Roche
4,369 Posts
>Hmmm, Scaley want to make motorbikes? ............. Never seen the point in 'em 1:1 so can't comprehend there'll be a market for 1:32nd versions. <

As opposed to those machines sitting in traffic jams doing 0mpg? Each to their own but I can't see the point of owning a car if you live in the bottom half of the UK :)

Anyway, back to Scaley, bike racing is undergoing a massive surge in popularity due to exciting features such as overtaking and Scaley obviously want to cash in on this. I hope they do it well.

Cheers,

John

· Russell Sheldon
2,846 Posts
I seem to recall that Polistil made a 1/24th scale motorcycle, that did lean into the corners. The guide was attached to a lever that actuated the movement... but my memory is fading, so I could be wrong!

Scalextric motorcycles, hmmmm. Hornby has of course just recently released some 1/32nd scale static kits and I was wondering if there is a link somewhere with Airfix. Airfix produce some rather nice 1/24th scale motorcycle kits... I wonder...

Kind regards

Russell

· John Roche
4,369 Posts
Motor Cycle N ews finally got round to reporting this today. Apparently Scaley have "developed a new rigging system to stop the bikes toppling". For release in Spring 04.

Cheers,

John

· Registered
52 Posts
This looks like an excellent gamble to me.

MotoGP is HUGE in Spain, and so is slot racing, not to mention Asia.

After seeing the promos for Hornby's new steam trains, I think that they probably are capable of coming up with a viable system for mortorcycles

I hope it works, as I am more into motorcycles than slots, so this would be brilliant.

Bigredralph

· Premium Member
7,877 Posts
QUOTE Each to their own but I can't see the point of owning a car if you live in the bottom half of the UK :)

Hmmm, the stereo, the warmth, the leather seats, the steel all around me...

Actually motorbike racing has two things going for it: they overtake one another and that Suzy Perry.

21 - 40 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.