SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 107 Posts

· Phil Smith
4,487 Posts
Looking into my crystal ball I predict that the new bikes will be in 1/18th scale and will NOT lean into the corners.
The whole thing will remain bolt upright (until the magnet gives up and it topples onto it's side!) and the wheels will run on the metal part of the track.

Remember, you read it here first!

· Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,221 Posts
QUOTE The whole thing will remain bolt upright (until the magnet gives up and it topples onto it's side!) and the wheels will run on the metal part of the track.
That's a shame,because doing the leaning thing is dead simple childs play.I know how.It would also help keep the guide/magnet thingy stay more firmly planted in the slot.

· Russell Sheldon
2,846 Posts
I really do hope that you are wrong on this, Phil... It doesn't sound as if they would be too different to the Aurora bikes from the 1960's.....

If we really can't have 1/32nd scale bikes, 1/24th scale would be better than 1/18th. The level of detail of the 1/24th scale IXO diecast bikes is simply stunning:

Kind regards

Russell

· Registered
1,332 Posts
Thanks Dennis and Minimental for sharing.

Trying to work out the size - detail wise it looks amazing. Would be intrigued to hear whether they will lean (really hope so!) or remain upright. However, if it is the latter, may spoil the realism effect somewhat.

Personally, I dont think the wheels running along the metal rail will cause too much of a problem, no doubt the development team would have designed the product with this objective in mind.

· Registered
756 Posts
Right then! A pic to look at
(Ta, DD + MM)

Quickly everyone, back to the bottom of page two of this topic and look at the pic in Russell's post. Compare and contrast as they say.... My only real issue with the prototype/mock-up in the picture, is given away by the newspaper caption underneath it "Riding high....", Valentino's Honda has been fitted with enduro dirt bike suspension

Apart from that (Mrs Lincoln....) looks great to me!

-Rob

· Registered
1,052 Posts
The bikes will lean!

Hornby quote:-

"The bikes have been designed to emulate the appearance
and performance of the real MotoGP bikes. This represents the first authentic
motorbike slot racing system and significantly widens the stable of Scalextric
products."

Hornby also suggested that "people would take a TILT at us with one of our new products" at a London Stock Exchange analysts meeting a few weeks prior to the announcement. The clue was in the wording used but nobody cottoned on at the time!

And they also have a very good relationship with a certain other company but I am not at liberty to say who.

Nikko do a radio controlled motorbike that leans. Have a look at that. It is very interesting how they do it.

Moped

· Registered
5,404 Posts
"Appearance and performance" does not mean "behaviour" or "attitude" or anything else to do with leaning. It's pretty ambiguous wording.

As the leaning is so vitally important to realistic track behaviour, I would seriously wonder why Aunty Horny would choose to avoid mentioning it, if indeed they HAD cracked the problem. What on earth would be the point of currying publicity in an announcement that didn't actually mention what most people would consider to be the most critical aspect of these bikes? Seems completely daft to me.

I think we will lock and save this thread and then exhume it for post mortem when the truth is eventually revealed in all its glory! That'll stop any sneaky edited backtracking from taking place!

· Registered
37 Posts
just had another look at that photo above

I hope that rossi does not have to brake hard at the end of the main
straight - because somebody has nicked his BREMBO brake discs

hope that scaley do come up with some sort of "lean", because if the bikes just go around upright it would look pants

here's hoping

TB ( ducati 955 rider)

41 - 60 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.