SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, some of you may have held back from trying out MotoGP becuase of the reports that you have read. We have yet to have a report of the bikes with the official Scalextric weights fitted although those folk who have added their own weight have made favourable comment.

Having done a bit of research MotoGP set 1 can be purchased for around £75.

This includes 8 Nr radius 2 banked curves. The banked curves on there own if purchased as an accessory would cost around £55. Therefore for £20 you get all the extra track including 2 Nr radius 3 curves and 8 Nr straights.

And you get the chance to race 2 MotoGP bikes as they are meant to be raced on banked track.

My view is that once folk start racing the bikes on short banked set circuits rather than driving them in isolation on longer club circuits they will offer very close and competitive racing at home and that means fun. I'm off to get a set to try out.

Moped

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
Okay, I'll open a book on this. My money is we get a piece of PR and not a review at all.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE I can think of better things to spend £75 on !

Clearly if you are a club racer then a set that is designed purely for the home user may not be the best way of spending £75.

I am going away for a few days to visit a close friend and want to take the set with me to test it out with a complete novice. Much as you would all like a review your loyal servant is subsequently off to Scotland for 3-4 weeks to do a spot of mountain climbing. So I am a little busy at this time. Maybe when I return if nobody else has done one.

Moped

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
This is what I tried (but failed) to spend £75 on last night.

Yes, it's a full Subbuteo Stadium! Very cool, if not very practical while playing the game.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Sorry Moped, Didn't mean to cause any offence... Obviously, you should only write up your experience of using the Motogp set if it is convenient to do so.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I for one would love to see an objective review?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But those sets haven't got the banked curves. They may only bank 10 degrees...

The banked curves deserve a review of their own.

I would have no problem doing a review but its just a bit tricky at the moment. If I was into Subbuteo then clearly £75 on a stadium is remarkable value. I guess its homemade. I am absolutely amazed at the hours of effort put into work by modellers that I can then pick up for no money at all. It does make me feel a bit sad at times. Great work just has no value in the modelling world.

Moped

·
Gary Skipp
6,503 Posts
QUOTE (moped rider @ 23 Aug 2004, 20:53)But those sets haven't got the banked curves. They may only bank 10 degrees...
Correct, but they do have vehicles that handle well 'out of the box' Isn't that a big plus for you mope?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing what the banked curves are like...does 10 degrees banking make much difference etc.

I wouldn't touch a Moto GP set though...bikes should lean into corners...not stand upright!!

Alan

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Scalextric cover the handling aspect by stating that, just like the real MotoGP bikes, it is essential to slow the bike before entering a curve and then gently accelerate through the corner. The weights new riders are instructed to fit add to the fun as the rear of the bike turns out and slides if you brake sharply. You are instructed to practice on basic layouts before moving to more complex circuits. On the set 1 circuit it is not really possibly to apply full throttle when the weights are fitted as the braking times are then longer. Even so you are able to fairly whizz around a basic circuit with banked corners.

There is certainly much more to driving a MotoGP bike than a car and a number of new skills to perfect. It will be interesting to see how we get on over the next few days.

The banked curves make a significant difference to the MotoGP bikes but I am not keen on the position of the 2nd radius curve as it is applied in the elbow on the circuit 1 design. This is a deslotting point and forces you to slow down before taking the banked curve which needs to be taken at a minimum speed due to the design of the MotoGP running gear which is in excess of the speed at which you can take the elbow. Lots of skill is required here. Still, they have these types on corners on real circuits.

Clearly driving a 1:1 MotoGP bike requires a different set of skills to those required when driving a 1:1 racing car and Scalextric have replicated this difference in their MotoGP range.

Moped

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
The stadium looks awesome. I find the astro turf type pitch to be the best surface. Wicked. Yes guys realise it`s not talkin slot here but like a slot circuit, going the full monty with Grandstands etc is always going to look great.

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
QUOTE This is a deslotting point and forces you to slow down before taking the banked curve which needs to be taken at a minimum speed due to the design of the MotoGP running gear which is in excess of the speed at which you can take the elbow. Lots of skill is required here. Still, they have these types on corners on real circuits.

Any chance of that in English?

QUOTE Clearly driving a 1:1 MotoGP bike requires a different set of skills to those required when driving a 1:1 racing car and Scalextric have replicated this difference in their MotoGP range.

Yeah, must have taken 'em ages to work out how to replicate that for the lucky punters.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts