SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just working on an old chassis that I acquired some time ago as an early seventies item?
it looks commercialy made and is iso fulcrum pivotted on the rear axle, it is 1/32 and has soldered tube body mounts.
The bit I am stuck on is that the motor mount(s) appear to be designed to "cradle" the motor and may be held in place by a clip?...what is this chassis and it's era and what motor was intended?
learning as ever...ken

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Ken
I think we may need a bit of help here .like a photo
A lot of 60s chassis yjay used FT16d type motors had thw motor help in by fairly substantial C clip that located in a groove cut in the can end bearing housing ,however we need to see a piccy to confirm this

Cheers tony

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Cox 1/32 Iso chassis.

And, yes, it did use a clip. In a pinch, black electrical tape works just fine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks for the input...I have marked your site as a favorite and will be having a good look tonite...see I spell US pretty good?..ken UK Oh and have those body mount tubes been fitted later???

·
Kitbasher
4,300 Posts
QUOTE Oh and have those body mount tubes been fitted later???

Oh yes, and not the neatest work I have ever seen...

Here is a mint BNIP with the pesky little brass clip

·
Administrator
9,796 Posts
Looks like somebody added some very hefty ball bearings in a special holder too, with a threaded outer part and a nut... the original Cox chassis had roller bearings that just slipped through the two parts of the chassis.

These chassis were used in Cox's later Daytona series of 1/32 vac-formed cars (Lancer bodies): Lola T70 MkIII, Ford MkIV and Ferrari P4 (P3?). Nice running kits and not always easy to find! Lots of these chassis were sold as aftermarket items too. They came in models for both the 13D and 16D motors...

Don

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
Hi Al,
GarVic ball-bearing retainers actually. Also Dragracer's chassis is different from yours in that it is a 1968 version for the larger FT16D sized motor, yours is from the 1966-67 chassis kit for the TTX50 (FT13UO) motor. So you have TWO clip options as either motor can fit... the other clip is the same as used on the 1/24 scale IFC chassis.

PS: how are them rusty Minis doin' ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes they are indeed STROMBECKER, staight off the card...just playing about with em'....any guesses as to when the tubes were soldered on or why?

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Finally got them all in one shed (3600sq ft), so, any further rusting is on hold for a while.

·
Administrator
9,796 Posts
And good feat of memory on the Strommie ball bearings Al - had no recollection at all that they made something like that!

Ken, the tubes were just for easier body mounting with straight pins, like 90% of all clear bodies at the time. The Cox chassis was made for their own clips, like Parma still uses today. Putting the tubes in made things a lot easier.

Don

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
QUOTE And good feat of memory on the Strommie ball bearings Al - had no recollection at all that they made something like that!
Actually, I found that no less than THREE companies used the very same product, likely from Japan: Strombecker, GarVic and... Kemtron!
The two clips for this chassis are Cox # 4809 (16D) and 4915 (13D).
I assume that the bottom brass tubes were there to fit a wider body since the Cox outrigger is rather narrow.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have just used BUY IT NOW on a sixties clear cobra daytona shell from USA...hope this will fit and I might use those COX mag wheels on it...either way I had to have it for £4.38 plus post....looks a nice untrimmed shell...ken

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Does the 4580 mag chassis for the TT-X50 13UO use a clip to secure the motor? I got one in a swop/swap several months ago and was given a couple of clips, but they're the sort shown above for the iso chassis. A 13UO actually fits tightly in the mag chassis, though I haven't got as far as fitting wheels, axles, etc and trying it in motion.
Looks like it'll need to be in something with large-diam. wheels.
Rob J

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
Rob,
The clip for the mag chassis for the FT13UO has its "ears" wrapping around the base of the chassis. I will try finding the clip number for you but as for the clip for the 1/32 scale IFC chassis, it is not stamped with a number, making its identification difficult.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Thanks, TSRF. Now that I know there should be a clip, I've had another look and the ones I was given probably are correct. The open end is so wide that I assumed they were wrong, but the "ears" do turn in, unlike the iso chassis's clip. The number is 4509.
I see where they should grip the chassis, though they're a b... to fit. I'll have to find my third hand, or be very careful with a vice or vice-grip pliers.
Thanks again,
Rob J

·
Stranger Things 2
575 Posts
Hi Rob, here's an image of a still full packet , with the header card showing the motor clip # and motor to be used.

Those motor clips you got from me came from the same sort of packet with the same header descriptions, so I'm assuming these are the ones that fit that chassis you got from me. The packet I got said clips from was still sealed and I was the first to opened it, so i don't think the wrong clips were put into the packet or were tampered with.

Cheers, Michael

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
QUOTE I see where they should grip the chassis, though they're a b... to fit.
The trick is to squeeze the sides close to the top of the motor and it snaps right in...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts