SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Any help for a relative newbie please? This week I've discovered a bit of an issue with a Fly Williams F1 car. The motor mag is just too powerful on the temp track I have set up in the garage. The track is a Ninco/Policar mix and most of my collection seem fine but this one is almost undriveable. The mag pull is so strong it's actually making the car slower! It runs fine on wood but I'd like to be able to run on plastic without major mods - anyone else had this? My first thought was a bit of metal across the base of the motor insulated from the track with black tape and fitting higher profile rear tyres but there must be a better way, right?

·
Alan Wilkinson
1,056 Posts
Optimising a motor's downforce is a black art.
You have the right concept with the "bigger wheels".
The key is separation distance between motor and rails.
If you have way to raise the motor in the car, that is the way to go.

Alan

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Hi Keke, The Fly F1's all use an FF050 motor which has very (very very ) little magnetic affect on the track rails................are you sure you are not referring to the separate traction magnet in the cars' chassis ??.........this is likely the culprit.

The body must be removed to remove this, and it sits on the bottom of the chassis, just behind the motor. To lessen the effect of this magnet, you can,........remove it, raise it in the chassis, or use larger dia, rear tires.

There are other more complicated methods, but, start with these.

Cheers

Chris Walker

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I'm surprised you'd see an effect on performance just due to a standard magnet. Do you have enough power in your power supply? A magnet car will draw more amps and might need a more powerful supply.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts