SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Slot.it sidewinder motor mount/pod where the front two holes became stripped and oversized for reasons that I cannot exactly remember. In an effort to get it back to where I could use standard Slot.it pod screws, I decided to try and fill the holes with an as similar as possible material that I had on hand, PLA, using the hot end of my Ender 3.

I loaded up the printer with some black PLA, set the hot end to pre-heat PLA mode (185C) and let that heat up. I then placed the bottom of the pod hole on the edge of my printer bed, lowered the nozzle into the top of the hole and then manually fed some of the PLA through the nozzle. I raised the nozzle and the hole was pretty much filled with PLA. I completed the other hole and let the PLA cool. I then drilled out the holes with a 1.6mm drill bit and Slot.it screws were screwed in as if the pod was new!
Auto part Automotive exterior Metal Font

Peter
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you don’t have a printer then what is the solution?
One that I have seen... use an appropriately sized machine screw and locknut - as long as there is sufficient interior clearance.

Or, if you prefer to, you can immobilize the whole pod with a couple beads of hot glue. Or try some hot glue in the holes.

Peter
 

· Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
I have a Slot.it sidewinder motor mount/pod where the front two holes became stripped and oversized for reasons that I cannot exactly remember. In an effort to get it back to where I could use standard Slot.it pod screws, I decided to try and fill the holes with an as similar as possible material that I had on hand, PLA, using the hot end of my Ender 3.

I loaded up the printer with some black PLA, set the hot end to pre-heat PLA mode (185C) and let that heat up. I then placed the bottom of the pod hole on the edge of my printer bed, lowered the nozzle into the top of the hole and then manually fed some of the PLA through the nozzle. I raised the nozzle and the hole was pretty much filled with PLA. I completed the other hole and let the PLA cool. I then drilled out the holes with a 1.6mm drill bit and Slot.it screws were screwed in as if the pod was new!
View attachment 328079
Peter
just noticed this post pete
so simple , thankyou for this pointer (y)
i would never have thought of this fix , previously i have always used UV glue
but now i am wondering if split body posts could be fixed in a similar way
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just noticed this post pete
so simple , thankyou for this pointer (y)
i would never have thought of this fix , previously i have always used UV glue
but now i am wondering if split body posts could be fixed in a similar way
I think you could but one would need to make sure that the split was corrected (the gap, if any, closed) before filling the hole with hot PLA.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top