SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i can understand the RPM´s concept (it would be sad if i didnt
) but i dont get the the g/cm specs on the motor labels. What does that mean? why do we ratio cm´s and grams for a motor? what´s good: a lower or a higher g/cm ratio?

Thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
Uh, actually, neither

it is Grams-Centemeter, this reflects the torque as if it were a WEIGHT attached to a 1cm lever. And as far as I know, entirely a work of fiction when you read it on the label.

Fate

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Aw c'mon Rocky,
if we want to split hairs it's gram-centimeters (no capitals), or g.cm - and of course it's improper because a gram is a unit of mass, it should be gram-force or much better newtons

Ciao
Beppe

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Also if you used the more traditional units of lbft for the torque figure, the poor litlle motor's numbers would be very small

Mark.

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
In my book g/cm is more valuable to consider than rpm. Many people go for the highest rpm motor they can stuff into a car without considering the g/cm.

Basically it's the torque of the motor. The higher the torque, then the faster you get to top rpm and the more weight and/or magnetic downforce you carry along with it. Some argue that higher the torque, the better the brakes and control, also. I'd agree with control, but not always with the brakes argument.

SlotIt motors have a high rpm, but a pretty average torque (about 100gcm). This means that it takes longer for them to get to top speed down a ond straight in comparison to, say, a lower rpm Ninco that is stuffed with higher torque from NC2 upwards.

Ratios depend upon your racing likes and your magnet/weight set-up, and your layout rather than a universal rule (such as pinion/gear ratios).

The best easy to get all rounder at the moment is the Fly racing motor that has about 24000rpm and a controllable high torque that easily outstrips SlotIt (that has a much higher rpm).

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Fox shape motors seem to have the best combination of RPM and torque.

I find:

- RX motors have loads of toque, not much RPM and are heavy.

- NC2 type motors have a reasonable amount of each and are heavy.

- Mabuchi motors have loads of RPM but no torque at all. V. Light.

- Fox shape motors have enough grunt to pull most things around quickly with almost all RPM's above 25k.

Lotus

EDIT: For heavy cars (Ninco, SCX...) NC2 shape (NC6) seem the best on plexi track. But for lightweight cars (Slot.It, Racers) light motors do better.

PS. All above is my opinion.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Ah....well....you see... I was trying to find the scarcasm smiley. The NC-7 could indeed do with some MORE POWER.. ahem....
Yes... that's my excuse....

....... D'OH!!

Thanks Inte

Mark.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Re-opening an old topic for a first post, but as a new-comer, I'm interested in the Scaleauto SC005 (advertised in Pendle as having 30,000rpm and 280g/cm) as it's the torquey'est'
mabuchi motor I could find...

Anyone else have it already? What do you think of it...? It's to go in the Top Slot 550 Maranello with the Slot-it chassis...

·
Registered
366 Posts
QUOTE (spin_doctor @ 15 Jun 2005, 09:02)Re-opening an old topic for a first post, but as a new-comer, I'm interested in the Scaleauto SC005 (advertised in Pendle as having 30,000rpm and 280g/cm) as it's the torquey'est'
mabuchi motor I could find...

Anyone else have it already? What do you think of it...? It's to go in the Top Slot 550 Maranello with the Slot-it chassis...
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Spin_doctor I believe that the CS-05 is a Plafit Type Motor and not a Mabuchi.
I found this I hope it will help you.
The link doesn't work correct but if you click back once then go in under Engine/pinion/accessories you should find what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have that SC05... I tryed it once without magnet and found out that there is no brakes in it.... not at all.

I also have some problems with motor as well.. Sometimes it does not move at all, until you give a full throtle or push the car a bit and then it starts to run again... (i have check ed all contacts couple times, so it must be inside the motor)

Yesterday i tryed to install it into my Scale F1, but i found that it's too big... it can NOT be used as a replacement for standard Mabuchi style motor using TSRF TSP2 adapter, unles you are ready to do some modifications into chassis..... It's too long and "fat"...

I will try it today again with F1 and magnet......

I'll keep you posted

Petteri

1 - 19 of 19 Posts