SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In light of the fact that the "General Talk On F1" thread is wandering into this territory I think we need to have a separate thread.

Here are some talking points to get the ball rolling. Please feel free to agree or disagree as you see fit:

We all know that the climate is warming and among other greenhouse gases Carbon Dioxide and Methane are the primary cause.

Nobody who uses this forum wants a ban of Formula One, or indeed any motorsport.

The actual sport of Formula One only accounts for approximately 5% of carbon emissions it produces.

All sport is on the "naughty step"

We need to figure out want we can actually do and actually do it!

·
Gordon Steadman
6,887 Posts
I wish it was true that we all think the warming is man made. So many are denying it still.

I'm smart enough to even have an opinion about the solution let alone the solution itself.

·
David H
3,756 Posts
The issue isn't that the climate is warming or that some of that warming is due to man, both of which have been proven, to me at least, beyond doubt, but whether a warming climate really will be as disastrous as predicted. Whilst there will undoubtedly be big changes, I'm unconvinced that they will cause the catastrophe that some predict.

Formula One's part in climate change is relatively tiny. It's for governments and policy makers to implement change of a magnitude that will actually make a difference. F1's virtue signalling won't achieve much, other than make life a little duller.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Some months ago, here in México city, government impossed a restriction on the use of citizens cars due to high pollution levels in the air. Almost a whole week the total numbers of cars circulating in the City were cut un half.

The result: levels of pollution increased even more.

Why? Because the number of cabs driving through the City (+150000) were circulating All day without restriction (out of polítical allegiances), also public service transport is not obligued to pass a test of pollution, so they all throw black fumes from the motors.

My conclusion is that the cars owned by the people dont pollute that much(if properly mantained and tested for pullution emisions), its the factories, the improperly mantained public transport and the worse mantained cabs(with lots of polítical power at least here in my City) that pose a danger to the enviroment.

F1 and motorsport shouldn't be a mayor concern for the enviroment(alists), as it represents almost nothing when compared to other daily activities.

Of course Im not expert, its just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
It is a fact that global warming and cooling is cyclic. Carbon emissions are exacerbating the current warming phase, but are not the whole story. Yes, mankind can reduce the impact of the current warming phase - but not reverse it. (Personally I don't object to milder winters, as long as summer heatwaves don't last too long. Before I met the current Mrs.Stu I had a plan to summer in the UK and winter in Spain, but I digress............)

The actual sport of Formula One only accounts for approximately 5% of carbon emissions it produces.
Shipping any commodity around the globe, by any combination of land/sea/air travel, currently produces massive amounts of carbon. This is what the powers-that-be should be addressing. From a motorsport P.O.V, before we start to consider if the actual sport is environmentally ethical, shouldn't we be re-considering if World Championships, and all that competing in them entails, are ethical?

Reactions: SplitRim

·
Registered
327 Posts
if you are good at something and you find the local competition is not giving the required stimuli then we start to look for more competitive fields

be in state or national ,and maybe the ultimate ,world title

if we just stay HOME and do nothing with what we think of as talent isnt it a poor state of affairs

as individuals we make this planet what it is

if we cannot express our talents then the world is a BORING place to be

maybe stubeedo , you would prefer that ?

just my op mind you ,no offense intended

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
if we cannot express our talents then the world is a BORING place to be

maybe stubeedo , you would prefer that ?
If being environmentally friendly makes the world boring, so be it. Given the choice between a few brief moments of excitement and living a longer, healthier, life I know which I choose.

I'm not an eco-warrior, but - as I alluded to above - I question "globalisation" in general - not just in sport.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Enviroment issues and motoring is a interesting dynamic , electric cars does not matter if racing or for the masses is goona cause more problems , as to get electic you have to produce it at the moment oil and in a lot of the less well of parts of the globe coal.

Some countrys have other means just taking us for instance we have wind power round the coast where i live we have hundreds of these towers generating the power but that alone is not enough , i hear all the time green energy , but is there such a thing.

When they build these off shore sites they cause lots of harm to the local enviroment starting with destroying years old sea beds where a lot of our food used to come from, the polution of diesel lorries transporting all the parts to the docks.

So ok we invest in all this to have electric cars , so how much electric do we need just to power the cars , well taking in just 4 houses in this road to use as an example between them they have 14 cars so logic tells me each house has to have more than one point so we'll say 3 , so that's the starting point 3 charging points to be put in each dwelling , so how about the 14 story block of flats the other side of Clacton being conservative 14 flats possiblty 2 car owners to a flat so they need at least 28 charging points, multiply this lot over the country.

Then you drive to a town near you there will have to be charging points in every, garage, service station, shopping centres , high streets or anywhere else you shop, none of this is going to be easy .

How about flying will we see electric planes , dunno, if we do all of those have got to be charged up , then shipping just looking at Felixstowe port near us . so we have electric ships and how do you charge up a electric ship ?, but in time if we have time perhaps hydrogen or some other form of power may come to the fore.

At the end of the day what we have now is going to take generations to improve and will man have the time , i fear not as usual mankind is behind the curve.

Many will disagree with what i have put here but i,m old seen how everything is bodged in this country and around the world, hope i,m wrong but i will not be here to see it one way or another.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Many of Britain's environmental problems - especially air pollution - could be solved by this weekend if my uncle Bonkers had his Land Rover serviced.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Perhaps scientists could invent a machine that converts carbon dioxide into oxygen? :O

They could call it:

Terrestrial
Regenerative
Environmental
Engine

See what I did there? :p

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Planting trees is, ultimately, what we'll have to do, but...

Last year, I grew roughly 20 oaks from acorns that dropped on my grass from a mature tree. The seedlings grew well in pots.

I tried to give them away but without success. One or two neighbours even laughed at my suggestion that we need to plant billions of trees all over the planet... Their grandchildren won't, though...

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The age old problem with nuclear energy is: How do you dispose of the waste?

There really are no easy answers are there? :O

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
I notice that these seems to be focusing on F1 but in the whole scheme of things F1 is only a small part of global motor sport. Th only major difference I can see between f1 and most other sports of any kind is the distances travelled.

(there are my opinions and not facts)

As F1 engines are quite efficient I would assume they are not the worst for CO2 emission in motor sport.

CO2 emissions from spectator travel is no worse than for any other sport with a large spectator base. I'm sure all the spectators going to football matches must produce more CO2

Emissions produced by the venues, are they any worse than any other large event?

Team based emissions are probably no worse than a lot of other sports while base in Europe but the global travel obviously kills this.

Are the total emissions from motor sport that much worse than for any other large sports, Silverstone 150,000 capacity the premier league approx double this. Yes I know a lot of football supporters travel by train and coach but think of all the other sports travel each week.

Until we have a very green transport system world wide I don't think the emissions from motor sport will make that much difference when taking sport as a whole. I'm also not sure that given current battery technology that electric cars are a long term solution. Is there enough rare metal in the world to produce all the batteries required?

Just a thought but should motor sport venues start providing shuttle bus services from near by railway stations?

·
David H
3,756 Posts
Any discussion of environmental policy that does not include modern nuclear alternatives is not a serious discussion.
Too true, but as a sizeable proportion of the shouty environmentalist lobby are using it as a platform to try to undermine capitalism and anything else they hate, their discussion was never to be taken seriously anyway.

The age old problem with nuclear energy is: How do you dispose of the waste?
Stick it on top of a rocket and fire it at the sun. We fire people at the space station regularly without killing many, so sending nuclear waste in a secure container to the sun should be relatively simple.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If many of you remember many years ago we had electric transport , nearly every town had Trams so what did we do scrapped them in favour of the diesel bus, and of course don't forget the Trollybus again many towns had this quiet efficient load carrying vehicle so what did we do scrapped them in favour of the diesel bus .

The tram is making a come back , not so the trolly we had all this infrastructure in place all we had to do was modify it as progress came along and by now we would have a very good modern electric powered transport system, we will never learn why ??????because of vested interest in fossil fuels.

For those of you who don't remember the trolly which was operating all through London up to 1962 a picture to remind you

Attachments

·
Gordon Steadman
6,887 Posts
Couldn't forget the trolley buses. We use to live in Sydenham, just down the road from Crystal Palace where all the buses used to start from. I remember the sound of the metal wheels and the clickety clack.

I had working ears back then.

PS. Just realised I was talking about trams which had the rails to run on! Trolley buses were later. That's what comes of being so old!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts