Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, is there someone that could write a lesson on motor tuning? I would like to know how to rewind a motor and other useful tricks. Yes, we are talking about plastic cars, but I think there is ever space for upgrading.
Ciao

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Grah...are you listening?
We need you!
Back in the old days, Teddington Model Shop used to sell their own 'rewinding machine', which took a little (only a little-) of the pain and tedium out of the process. Anyone still got one?
There was a particularly sad chap at school who actually enjoyed doing it (sorry-no offence Grah if you ARE listening!), and we'd pay him in ciggies for doing our 16D arms. We could probably be arrested for that now.
Good topic for discussion though, Sprint. I hope it takes off! I'd rather let the experts guide you (and me) through the theory and practice- my thumbs are aching just at the thought of it.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Funny, my thumbs were aching this morning but that was probably more to do with the nose-picking in yesterdays "how do you hold yours" thread. See all the good stuff you miss out on when you're away howmet!

Anyway, I rewound some 16D armatures back in the '60s but consider myself far too rusty to attempt a "how to" at this stage - besides I was never much good at it anyway!

Like tx says, it would be great to see the "big guns" come in and show us the way. Who knows, howmet might even give away some ciggies as prizes (pre-smoked of course)!

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Rewinding and motor tuning is a subject I contiualy get asked about an one that I must do an article on ,god knows I've promised to do it on a couple of occasions .If time allows over the wekend I'll try and do one on the scx motor as or the old johnson 111 as both are usually in need of a boost .its not hard to do but it is time consuming . Re the winding tool I still have a home made one but I prefer to do it by hand

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Grah, you must have tougher fingers than I do!
I used a machine, once my buddy splurged and bought one.
I found it was easier to get tidy, tight winds. The top rewinder in our area though always wound by hand and I don't think I ever approached his level of skill. (And no, JohnP, it wasn't because my thumbs were stuck in a Ligier airbox...
)

It was always very satisying to have an arm that you had rewound yourself perform well.

As for today's motors, I'm not up to speed on them like I was in years gone by, so I look forward to any motor articles Grah!

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Yes Grah...
Please do get your head down over the w/e and give us your rewind article! I shall tune in on Monday in high expectation.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all, waiting the rewind article, I have another question; there is a way to renew a motor that has lost his power other than rewind it? Is it possible to regain or to get higher levels of magnetization? We use many V12 25000k and 29000K and ScaleAuto 35000K in our races, but some of them seem to lose their power and speed, and some are better than others from the beginning
; moreover, there is a simple way to measure effectively the real power of a motor, so one could choose the best?

I think the measure of rpm with no load is useless.
Ciao

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Of course I have replaced/cleaned the brushes, but the problems still remain.
I have to admit that we are searching the last drop of power available, since in our club my fellows ( more than I ) are crazy for speed.
( and faster than me,too!)

Ciao

1 - 14 of 14 Posts