SlotForum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Anyone who is working with computers knows that nothing is as worthless junk as old computer harware. This gives slotracers great opportunity to collect some very valuable components. I am talking here about disassembling an old CD-Rom drives.

Nearly every CD-Rom drive ever built contains one MotoGP/Scalextric F1 type motor.

Modern CD-Rom drives have also linear motor that contains one or two very powerful neodynium magnets.

Here CD-Rom magnets compared to standard NINCO magnet

Here is a collection of components I was able to salvage from Asus CD-rom drive. Cost=0.

Please tell if you have found good source of free components. Especially cheap gears .

Cheers!

Julius

·
Registered
19 Posts
My son and I now have a meeting with an old PC this evening.....

We recently salvaged some motors from some of his battey operated toys and have tried several in a chassis we use as a test mule. It has been really interesting.

Some have great torque, some top end speed, etc. But what has been making a difference as to whether or not it makes into one of our daily drivers is brakes.

Some just don't flat out have any. We have a motor out of a Tyco rc car that screams dowm the straights.......then just keeps going until it flips over the wall at the end where it makes a 90!

Would this type of motors have any braking abilities.

O yea, we are still gonna smash the cd player!

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
If you spot any broken car mirrors at the side of the road, they're worth checking coz if they are the electrically adjustable type, chances are they'll have a couple of Mabuchis in them!

Just broken ones at the side of the road now!!!

Mr.M

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks for those pearls, gentlemen!
Don't forget the hard-drive magnets! With some creative shattering you can glean some excellent tuning magnets(very light, to chassis breakers!)

Smash on!!

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
you guys are cracking me up with this thread. I am such a cheapskate...I say go for it ! Along those lines, I just scored my first electric toothbrush motor but haven't had time to install it in a chassis. Any one used them yet? How do they run, and how do they brake? (this one was from a Interplak)

keep the great ideas coming

John

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More hints,

Every floppy disk drive contains one very high quality 2.5mm axle, some drives provide also 1/1000 matching bronze bushings for this axle. I just bought 10 used drives 50cent apiece. Try getting precision tooled matched axle+bushing set for 50cent from slotcar manufacturers.
Yeah, you can call me a cheapskate.

Cheers!

Julius

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
QUOTE Try getting precision tooled matched axle+bushing set for 50cent from slotcar manufacturers.

Perhaps someone should point this out to Revell-Monogram......they obviously don't currently know where to get them from!....

REgards

Alan

·
Registered
19 Posts
My son and I trashed one of these last night.

Ours had pancake motors in them, so nothing there.

But we did land a couple of axles, those strong little magnets, a bunch of screws and a few other goodies.

I am now on the hunt for more! I have an old redio/cd player that might meet its fate tonight!

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Great thread, Julius

Anything I could scrounge from my printer ? Not that it's broken, but I hate paying the outrageous price of replacement ink cartridges (cheapskates of the world, unite !!)

Now, who'll be the first one to adapt a brushless motor :

http://www.solcon.nl/gjkool/brushlessE1.html

One might even use two in lieu of the rear rims - direct drive indeed

Beppe

·
Registered
147 Posts
A word of caution using some of these motors.
Having stripped a toothbrush motor I found the brushes are plain metal with no carbon brushes . Also the endbell had no bearing , the shaft runs in the plastic .
I,m planning to drill out the end bell and glue in a piece of brass tube , as for the brushes the Beardog motors seem to run well enough without carbon !.

Richard

1 - 13 of 13 Posts