SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, im about to boost up my cars with a better motor, ie a nascar model, and what i want to know is
what is the difference between an sp and an ff motor ?
i tried a nascar with an orange motor 25k i pressume it was, but i wanted a little more exceleration and torque out of it
so do i go a tooth less etc etc...

·
Tel
4,090 Posts
You can't physically fit a FF motor in a standard scalextric NASCAR without much modification.
If its an SCX NASCAR then you will need adaptors to fit an standard mabuchi or boxer motor, and axlestops as the pinion shaft is likely to be too small.
Also take note when ordering upgrade motors, to ensure the driven end is correct - plastic (bell) or metal (can) drive, there is usually a universal option though.

You would be better going for NSR, Slot.It, MB-Slot, Scaleauto etc motor upgrades. Most will list rpm and torque, but tbh there is often no standard voltage used so comparisions are irrelevant.

Not always, but generally speaking SCX inline NASCARS are 9/27 (3-1) and Scalextric Sidewinders are 11/36 (3.27-1).

For gearing use this:
http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...ge=SF_gearchart

Higher the final drive figure, quicker the acceleration, and lower the top end.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Black Can Scaleauto motor (red can is banned at GBSC) 1 tooth down on the pinion gear. Final drive remains standard for the Nascar class here. Works for me anyway. Motor is a direct replacement for the standard Scalextric. Look up Seawolf on this forum. I don't know if he is still active in the supply thing but he used to have his own shop and web site. Tell him Great Barr sent you. His name is Steve.

·
Tel
4,090 Posts
He didn't say it was for club racing, with rules and limitations

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks savage and not alone..
i was looking at the nascar kit see, 3 motors with it etc etc, so if your saying a car would need moding in order to fit that certain motor they should'nt supply it within the kit....
ps not alone
i still dont know who you are from the club ?
it would help if i did

·
Registered
641 Posts
The kit you're looking at is what the crazy speeded red coloured car Dan was racing and Adams car is based on. Most of the parts that come with it are not allowed, ask Rod why, but, the motors and pinion gears can be used. Not the final drive gears though. You'd need to source a standard non kit one. Easy enough. I may have some knocking around myself. The axles and bearings are a different size in the race tuned kits too. Bigger diameter. I don't think they come with a magnet in either.
I am Kevin. Red hoody. Nice to meet you.

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
These are sidewinders, yes?

Don't waste your time with upgrading with a fgaster rpm Scalex motor. Fit a slotit or an NSR 21000rpm. There's no need to go higher in rpm unless you have 20foot long straights as you'll never be at more than 21Krpm for long.

Then fit the motor with a 10t SW slotit pinion. This will lose you about 1000rpm, but it will give you more torque/mousepower and better brakes and acceleration.

The only other thing you can do is take out the thick Scalex bar magnet and fit a lighter one. The reduced drag will give you a more responsive drive, but you'll have to compensate with grippier tyres to keep the car on the track if you are a speed monster, ratehr than somebody who prefers a bit of slide around corners.

And if you are using bog-standard Scalex controllers, throw them out and get a Parma 25ohm one as these give real control.

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
Curious OP why you want to put in a faster motor.

We race Scaley COTs against each other with stock motors and Super tires on wood. We run them at 11V. They are some of the faster cars we run.

Rather than mess changing motors just adjust the voltage with a variable power supply. We use a Pyramid. We will adjust voltage for various classes until we get one that makes the cars drivable yet still requires some skill.

·
Rich Dumas
3,666 Posts
The things attached to Carrera and Monogram motors are chokes (inductors) and capacitors, they are used to prevent radio frequency interference. The chokes used by Carrera are known to fail so the car won't run. The RFI filters can be removed.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Great advice from everyone here, thank you one and all. But, to give the best advice you'll all need to know what "rules" we use for this class at GBSC. Firstly you all need to know we run on Ninco track with magnets. Then:::::

Rule one: Must be a scalextric Nascar.
Rule two: Free choice of motor but not red can scale auto (these had 2 different rpm ratings and are un-police-able)(there is a max rev limit but I can't remember what it is, 30k I think)
Rule Three: standard scalex tires as fitted from new, glue and trued only.
Rule four: Er..........No rule four
Rule five: Body remains standard apart from paint job. (if you can be bothered)
Rule six: Magnet stays and is standard.
Rule seven: Final drive stays standard but free choice of pinion gear.
Means that once everyone has built a car that goes the same as everyone elses, you may as well have changed nothing and run them all as standard but, there you go. Half the fun is finding a set up you can run with and keeping it to yourself! That's rule eight.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
blimey, some good advice from all, thankyou
so its a 21k 10t pinion, there is one straight over 20 feet and the bend that leads into it has some speed in it, so would 25k be the one, with a tooth down on pinion ? the tyres are glued hmnnn, what is used for that then ? i noticed oil was rubbed into them, what type was it ? and is that what you call glueing ? damn i feel so uneducated in slotti's

i did notice some people had longer and deeper guide blades on aswell, hmnnnnn
and as regards to GBSC i was told on my first visit, its just fun, no seriousness, and we dont want to be challenging for cups etc etc ... sooooo if there are rules set in place, and realistically only the motor upto a certain rpm and pinion can be changed to your own spec, then why woul'dnt the fastest red nascar driver reveal or show whats inside his ? are they inspected by race officials or club owners to make sure they are legit then ? its just a question of curiosity thats all.... in my eperience of doing some things im exceptional at, ie to name a few, playing bass, compound shooting, jumping stilts, etc etc, ive always helped and explained what i do and dont do, so they end up learning correctly first off and doing as i do, then its just left down to raw talent that makes the difference....so what i'm saying is, if someone was told and then had exactly the same setup, it does'nt mean they are always going to compete still does it, and surely competition is good and more fun especially if its not intended to be serious ? so being a newb myself with no experience of whats what, parts and excessories, and no knowledge of the track, show or build me a car the same and let the skills do the talking ;-) ............. did i just cast the line lol............crafty crafty
ive had alot of help on here already, but some things "being a newb" are not clear to me as yet, soooooooo
not alone after all.... has set the rules table for the club, for you all, i like rule 4 by the way hehe....
so lets see whats what, 1000k minds are better than 1, so create me a car to build, links to exact parts being good.. to challenge and i will eventually reveal who made me more competetive later on... you guys rock .... make a newb a pro day hath started.......

anyways i still dont know who i met from the club on here ?
so i'll ask and you all can tell me...
nice man who gave me BEER ;-) thats always good, is..... on here ?
chap who has boxer dog and white kit nascar is...... on here ?
fast red nascar owner is ?
the man i beat to get my first podium lol, gary i think his name was, very helpfull too... is ?
old biker, club owner, who was extremely helpfull is.... ?
guy who was testing all his cars at the end is ? and i want one of them ;-)
one female who was jenny i think is ? and her chap is ?
and last but not least, the gentle friendly giant black man, who wouldnt look out of place in the wwe is ?
there were more, but i forgot due to looking at masses of cars, and also crashing alot, understandable but i appologise...i always remember beer though ;-) so all bring a bottle lmao, ok i'm pushing it now, thanks all it was great fun.....

·
Registered
641 Posts
anyways i still dont know who i met from the club on here ?
so i'll ask and you all can tell me...

nice man who gave me BEER ;-) thats always good, is..... on here ? Russell, not sure he's on here or not.
chap who has boxer dog and white kit nascar is...... on here ? Adam, Rods son.

fast red nascar owner is ? Dan, won the last league. (wont win the next.................. Ok, he might do. If Dale stays away)

the man i beat to get my first podium lol, gary i think his name was, very helpfull too... is ? Gary. Nice guy.

old biker, club owner, who was extremely helpfull is.... ? Rod, Adams dad (rule maker?)

guy who was testing all his cars at the end is ? and i want one of them ;-) Could have been me, Kev. I like to run my cars with no magnets and don't have any track at home at the moment so take every chance I can to give them a blast. Un less it was a really fast car with lots of magnets in which case, it wasn't me.

one female who was jenny i think is ? and her chap is ? Sarah and another Russell

and last but not least, the gentle friendly giant black man, who wouldnt look out of place in the wwe is ? Kelvin. He's just getting into it too.

there were more, but i forgot due to looking at masses of cars, and also crashing alot, understandable but i appologise...i always remember beer though ;-) so all bring a bottle lmao, ok i'm pushing it now, thanks all it was great fun.....

Don't worry about rules too much. It really is mainly for fun, with a bit of racing thrown in. Of course we'll help out with cars and tips ( didn't I help get that nascar running for you????) I was only joking about the hiding what you did to your car thing.

You missed out Simon who with Rod was running the night. He's on here.

Modified this week. Not my fave class but if you're up for building a custom magnet speed monster, it'll be right up your street.

Kev.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Tires glued and trued means that the tire is glued to the rim to stop them coming off. That was happening a lot to someone last week, tires coming off. Trued is "sanded". Cheapest way is to get an old flat piece of track. Stick a bit of fine grit wet and dry across one of the lanes wide enough to fit the two rear tires. Take out magnet if one is fitted. Then, holding the car in the slot with the rear end over the w&d apply power, gently, and lower tires on to paper. Gently let the grit take off any imperfections in the tire and any ridges so you get a nice round, smooth finish. It's a bit trial and error till you get the hang of it. Don't use too much power or you may melt the rubber. Only do this after glueing tire to rim. ( Rod has a tire truer at the club. He'll do your tires for you if you ask him)
Oiling the tires is usually 3 in 1 oil. You can by special treatments too but oil seems to do the trick. Don't run freshly oil tires on your track though. Apply a couple of drops then rub into the rubber. Takes a while over a few nights but you'll end up with a nice sticky, soft tire.
I'm sure someone who knows better than me will come and give more advice too but that's a start.

Black Can Scaleauto motor. One tooth down on the pinion. Try contacting Slotbox. He's on here some where. He'll be able to source almost everything you need.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks not alone.... i'll check it out,
the only real thing i need to know then is, what is the original pinion size on a nascar ? how many teeth...
mind you if i ask one tooth down i gues he would know anyway lol....i'll see if i can find him, thanks again

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.