Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just a thought from me in relation to the drivers station. Is there a possibility we can move the drivers station to the small straight as opposed to the main straight to help marshall it. I notice Andy mentioned in the other thread about his F1 car being totalled after another car hit it as it was stationary on the main straight. And this is by no means a one off incident, it is almost impossible to marshall this area and if you come out here it is awful for the drivers to have to stop to assist and no one wants to hit a stationary car at full pelt or be hit.

Whilst we do have offs on the small straight the cars usually end up in the wall infront of a marshall and therefore I see this as an overall positive. Looking at how the wood lines up on the track edge it actually looks like this was the way it was intended to be put together in the first place.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
238 Posts
I can see what your saying about the cars coming off there, but look at how spread out the four "racers" are and look at the short straight. The more vocal racers will be whinging that the marshals on the bends are in the line of sight. So no I don't think that will work.

How about two track call buttons between the driver station linked in. As the start line manager is usually marshalling on the last bend and the keypad is behind him we could also look at repositioning that.
We have plans afoot to extend the edges for the run off areas so maybe move the control station at the same time.

Or how about take the long straight out and but a long S bend in;-)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply, I hadn't thought about the Marshalling of the twisty bits and with 4 drivers in between I see your point that it would be very crowded on that side of the track.

I guess we could put more emphasis on the start marshall watching the track as a whole and take away his requirements to marshall the corner.

Cheers

Ryan

·
Registered
69 Posts
How about having a marshall situated within the drivers on the main straight? This could be someone short in stature but 'loud of voice' who could shout out a warning to other approaching slot cars. I wonder who might be ideal for this role?

And.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Hi Guys, just my personal opinion, but I don't really think there is enough of a drivers view of the corners on that side if we move the driver platform to the opposite side. Marshalls would be blocking your view. At the Manx Model Car Racing Club at Summerland we used track calls when there was a danger of damage to the cars. This could be done on our track by just hitting the keyboards spacebar. What you do need though, is someone sat at the computer with their finger at the ready for such a call.

This does require a sense of fairness on the drivers part though as it could be used to their advantage by just giving a track call when they come off anywhere, thus not losing as much distance to the drivers who are still in their lanes. That would have to be watched. The person with their finger over the space bar would be at liberty to ignore a call if they didn't think it was necessary and I'm sure that we would soon realise who was the most likely to 'try it on'!

The other thing that could be done is that other drivers could put the car back on for the unfortunate driver who's car is going to be smashed up. I've done this myself, but I know that others sometimes won't, or are too involved in the race, as we all are most of the time. After all, it's only a bit of fun!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Guys,noted all the comments with interest,agree with comments on vision being obstructed if control point moved. Regarding track calls- they should be kept to a minimum as it disrupts the flow of racing & can prevent someone getting a good run. I suggest that they ONLY be allowed when a car is in an UNMARSHALLABLE position for example on the main straight in front of the drivers, or on the floor beneath the track (as I know to my cost!!!) Persistent track calling by a driver when not necessary could be punished-say by discarding their score in that heat. I agree that the person on race control should not also have to marshall the corner near the computer, this would also give them time to monitor false lap counting.
Mike

·
Dave Capelen
2,796 Posts
Hi guys

Agree with keeping drivers' stations where they are on the track, but maybe we could have a slightly raised platform, so that anyone marshalling at either end of the straight is lower down and less of a block on the line of sight.

Ideally, the track would have been positioned so that the drivers' stations were on the window side of the room.

If we ever change the track layout, we may have to re-consider drivers' stations positions.

Cheers
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.