SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some talk on another thread about running Micro Scalextric cars without magnets I thought I'd try a Marchon MR-1 without magnets, with the original blue wire motor and a set of silicones you get a very nice non-magnet car, it laps my home track a bit slower than a magnatraction but is still very nice and needs a gentle throttle hand.
This is with 18V btw.
So I thought I'd try an MS car without magnets again, but the motor is too powerful and the car is uncontrollable, but an MS car with the blue wire motor might be controllable, but why bother, use the MR-1 chassis, all the Micro bodies will fit, and with a little effort Aurora, Tomy and Tyco bodies can be fitted.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I've only got two Marchon chassis so I'd probably still be looking at playing with the MS cars purely because I have more of them and they are in plentiful supply.

A change of motor does seem to be in order though. Wonder what you could replace it with?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The original motor out of the Marchon would go straight into the Micro Chassis and is less powerful, but there are also even less powerful can motors in the original Marchon chassis, some Tycos and Matchbox powertrack cars.

Flushed with the success of building the first one, I built a second one, it's ****e and uncontrollable, so everything must have to be just right for them to work well. I've got a Matchbox Powertrack TR7 coming that I'm going to try and get to run well without a magnet.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I've got some Powertrack cars but I was under the impression that mine are the much lower voltage ones so won't be able to run on normal HO power.

I have been toying with the idea of putting a Tomy Turbo can in, widening the pickups and adding some neos to the rear to make a Frankenstein fast car.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Yes mine are all the 9v volt versions. Still it will be an interesting project.

Switching Marchon motors into the Micro chassis isn't really an option as I still have the same problem of not enough Marchon motors. I'll see what Maplin have to offer.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Speak to Tony, he must have loads of them, I've got a few knocking about as well.
The motor in the 9V Powertrack car might be the same as the one in the 18V car, I'll have to have a look and see if the pickups from one chassis will fit on the other.
You can get new old stock 18V Powertrack cars for around £10.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts