SlotForum banner

MRRC (airfix) setup tips for the slimline chassis?

4K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  pertti jarla 
#1 ·
Hi

I've been sporadically collecting some MRRC/Airfix cars, and until recently they have just been on the shelf, but I want to prepare a couple of them for use, and especially the clubman's (slimline chassis) seem to need some adjustment to get the guide flag seated properly into the slot.

Is it possible to remove the guide flag from the steering assembly to shim it? It seems so delicate and "assembled" so I did not dare to use any force on it, the problem is that barely half the guide flag is seated in the slot when checking the car on a setup-block. I've replaced the braids with modern soft tinned braids but the problem seem to be that the front assembly is designed for smaller front wheels. I have the problem on both the Aston DB5 and the Honda F1 which seem to use the same type of front tires.

I've also noticed some play in the rear axle bushings, even on the Honda which is unused. Would it be stupid to use the CA-glue trick on the bushings? or is OK to have some play in the rear axle on these cars?

Tore

#2 ·
Tore,

Not sure about the steering, but definitely glue in the bearings on the rear - it helps a lot! Make sure everything is lined up and that you don't get glue on the axle (hint from Derek many years ago when I showed him an Airfix and started crying...)

Maybe Phil or Derek could give you a hint on the front steering setup (hint, hint...).

Don

#3 ·
How can you "line everything up" when CA glue runs all over the place?

Unless the rear axle is exceptionally wobbly, just leave it as it is and enjoy an authentic driving experience from the 1960s

If you want to change that experience, you may as well throw out the chassis and fit a modern alternative

#4 ·
The guide is just a push in fit, they do require some force to remove.
The later re-issed kits that were available in the 80's came with a deeper guides which worked ok on most tracks with the original tyres but these are hard to find.
If you want to race these then truing the tyres will be your only option without major surgery to the chassis.
[oneofwos]

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I seem to remember MRRC came up with a deeper guide for their steering units. Not sure where you would find one-I'm sure they were fitted to the later cars and the brass chassis cars. Perhaps Phil Smith may be able to help. There is no alternative to using force to change the guide I'm afraid. Remove the steering unit from the chassis first! I had some success filing the rear bearings out and putting some brass tube in place. I even used the small holes in the chassis side pieces once...
On the subject of Airfix/MRRC anybody got any Felday spares? I have a "blank" shell I'd like to finish one day......
TED........

#6 ·
Radical maybe, but I had some success by bending the plastic wishbones up. Steering still worked. Or fit some SRS1 front tyres like in my avatar.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
The wheels are small (11mm) I can' lay my hands on any front tyres at the moment but they are quite small with a very round profile - If you use these or similar size the guide should have sufficient depth. Yes - glue the rear bearings in place (used to use epoxy before super glue).

Everyone of these that I built pulled very badly to one side under braking whatever rear tyres were; never figured out why.

Mike

#8 ·
QUOTE (Screwneck @ 11 Sep 2011, 08:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How can you "line everything up" when CA glue runs all over the place?

Screwneck, get some superglue gel, it generally stays where it's meant to.

Tore, grind the guide blade off and superglue another guide underneath the original one.(One of the later MRRC that looks like a smaller version of the Jetflag would be perfect)

Joel

#9 ·
Thanks for the replies. I also found the instruction manual under the box tray, and that shows how the guide is mounted

The Aston drives quite nice, but as this picture show it won't take much of a bump before the guide pops out:

I think I'll try to find some spare guides and see if I can glue on an extension, and also true the front tires a bit. BTW: I've seen some MRRC spare tires on the bay marked "30's", "40's", "50s", etc.. would any of those be the right tires for the Aston?

BTW: here is my humble classic MRRC collection

I'm not looking to race these, just take them out for a Sunday spin at 10 volts now and then

The Honda is missing the wheel inserts, and the standard Porsche 804 (Johnson motored) has wrong rear wheels, and I'm not sure if the driver head on the 804 is original. But other than that the cars are in good condition, the Honda body and chassis looks like new but the Aston needs some cleaning up and new rear inserts. The other Aston kit is unopened and I think I'll leave it like that

A rendezvous between classic MRRC and new MRRC

BTW: Was the Porsche 804 ever released with the slimline chassis?

Tore

#10 ·
Hi
If you really want to glue the rear bearings in use araldite ,it is a bit more tolerant than CA glue and gives you time to set the joint up ,and additionally doesnt run where its not needed
The idea of glueing in 3/32 brass tube into the hole in the chassis is a good one as you can then move the motor back towards the rear axle and cut the forks off the back
This allows a better weight didtribution with more weight over the rear wheels ,just lengthen the front to compensate
Additionally you must have the pick ups right down on the tapes so I would suggest you use smaller front wheels asPer john sechi

Cheers tony

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
The guide blades on the late 1970s cars and the 1960s ballrace cars are slightly deeper, but not by much - about 1mm. All three have different steering units and the guides may not be interchangeable, but without dismantling anything I'd guess the c1979-80 one is more likely than the ballrace to fit the Slimline.
Unless you're keen on authenticity, the simplest solution is to fit smaller diameter tyres. One of my two Slimlines runs fairly well on 17mm diameter non-Airfix fronts (though maybe one day I'll try something more authentic).
The rounded-profile tyres are about 20mm in diameter and I don't think they would help. From the photo, your Honda seems to have flat-profile fronts, which are probably slightly smaller. If they're the same as on my other Slimline, they'd be c19mm.
Have fun,
Rob J

#12 ·
Ortman replacement tyres, including the front round ones, are available for both the ball race and slimline MRRC cars.
The very last version of the ballrace RTR guides used the modern push in braid and clip and looks to be a modified Le Mans guide, it will not fit the Slimline cars.
[oneofwos]

#13 ·
About the guide blade, I used a bigger one from my spares box. Using a sharp knife, files and sandpaper I carefully thinned the stem leaving a small ball at the end. I drilled a hole the right distance from the stem and fitted a short piece of thin brass for the small hole in the thin rod. The ball end of the stem had to be cut down quite a lot before I was able push the replacement blade into place. Because of my poor workmanship the guide was very shaky, but I fixed that with a thin spacer disc around the stem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.