Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy.

I've got an incurable case of walletus itchyitus. It's not too painful and can easily be treated by unburdening the wallet contents in the direction of the local slot shop.

I've been looking at the FLY Capri's as a possible next purchase but I need something to race against it. I really like the look of the MRRC Celica and was curious to know if anyone has/is able to give an owners comparison of the two cars.

The livery isn't important but these are the two I had in mind

Cheers

Steve

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Glued and trued the celica wins every time superior horspower but niether are good with out mags the fly racer capri is better for racing with out mags..

My celica threw its tyres off the hubs the first time I ran it but once sorted its fantastic

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree the Celica beats all of my Capris easily stock.

One thing that is unusual about the Celica is that it has fantastic acceleration but poor braking?

I have never had a car that accelerates so well and brakes so poorly?

I don't know if there is any association between FLY amd MRRC but I believe the tires on the Celica and the Capri are made by the same place?

Scott

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I agree with Grah1,

Trued and glued the Celica is top dog, mainly due to the motor.
I wonder if the Cpari would keep up if it also had the same motor?

Both need to be run with magnets unless you want to spend alot of time with some in depth tuning.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I do have a Capri and I don't have a Celica.
But I do know that the Celica uses the Scaleauto SC07 motor and it is a KILLER - if you have a track where it can really let rip! I have seen nothing else at near that motor's price, that can live with it.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Celica tyres more grippy, so I think the better acceleration/worse braking effect can be attributed to it being able to transfer the torque to the track better under acceleration, but that has no (differentiating) effect on the braking.

Sadly, I have to agree that without the magnet the Celica is inferior, but I think a deeper or sprung guide will help.

Scott

·
Jim Moyes
5,000 Posts
At clubs I run at the Lancia nearly always outperforms the Capri (non-mag) and as it is a similar layout to the Celica, perhaps it would be a better choice.

If your set on getting a Capri though, how about a BMW CSL as a racing partner?

Mr.M

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
dear dear me!

we run a drm class at the club rr3.9 runs his sorted celica and I run my sorted capri, both box stock down to the tyres.

So far we have run 2 rounds, so far rr3.9 has lost twice. So er on our track the blue oval is quicker, although evenly matched the blue oval just has the advantage

Ah well

bye f'now

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I've run both non-mag and I though the Celica was better.

That's when they both had mabuchi's in though (not crazy red things).

Celica is sidewinder and capri is front engined so I'd say Celica in a non-mag race...

Maybe Inte is just a better driver than RR3.9? No... couldn't be...

Lotus

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks.

Got my heart set on the Celica, now wavering between the Capri and the Lancia.

Lancia is winning.

So many choices. Life is SOOOOOO complcated

Cheers

Steve:cheers:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is a happy ending. These two cars are now residents of Forrest Hill Raceway.

The Celica is a steroid pumped freak. I've never seen a car wheelie and de-slot in a straight line like this thing does. When time permits, I'll do some running in and prep on both cars but just couldn't resist a quick trot around the track.

And typically, the FLY is noisy and slow because the contrate is rubbing on the chassis................................mucho work to be done here methinks.

Cheers

Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts