SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gary Skipp
6,503 Posts
Wow, this car is good.

As usual, prompt delivery by GS meant that I had it in my mits by 11:00 this morning.

The first thing that struck me was the amount of detail on the car, especially inside. Contrasting to the quite plain Blue #68 livery, the driver strongly resembles an SRA figurine. The open visor helmet clearly allows you to see the extremely detailed face of the figure, wearing bright and nicely rendered overalls. The cabin is stunning too, a bright red seat contrasting well with the silver and black parts composing of steering wheel, rollcage and dash. On the outside, the livery is applied in a crisp manner, with clear logos and sponsors. Even the retro Dunlop tires fitted have really clear lettering, which intrestingly has yet to rub off, even after scuffs against barriers (
)

The first run was a mix of excitment and dissapointment. The excitment came from the amount of speed this motor has, the red casing suggests to me its evry similar to the 28 and 35 k scaleauto motors. My small test track at home really wont bring out the best speed but I bet it'll be rapid at Phoenix.

However, the grip was very poor at first and the guide seemed to be getting stuck. I opened it up, removed the magnet (which is near in front of the sidewinder orientated motor) and in the porcess puntured my finger.

Plastered up I took it back to the track, trued the wheels (which had quite a few burrs) and tires and things had improved a lot. A good amojnt of grip now for a non magnet car, the soft tires really helping. I would suggest gluing them to the rims though because when revving the car without the wheels making contact with the track the tires would seperate themselves from the rims, and not go back without help.

Another thing I noticed is that the running gear was extremely well lubricated, which meant the car ran very smoothly. This car is exceptional as a non magnet car, but with magnet in becomes unpredictable. Definately take the mag out.

You should definately buy this car, its great value for money considering similar cars like the fly ford capri (espicially the non magenet racer) are a tenner more expensive.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
should be running DRM/Group 5 this coming monday - weapon of choice for the last 6 weeks has been.. Fly capri or mrrc toyota. Ford has taken the title every time so far but it's always close. We run them box standard well myself and 3.9 do wether anyone else does we dont know cause we usually tend to win

Inte

·
Registered
164 Posts
Couldn't agree more.

I love this car. The detail is very good (perhaps not as finely detailed as a FLY) but it is the build quality that gets me. It is very well put together and I like the way the interior and glass comes out without having to grind off the melty plastic. A nice touch if someone wanted to do a re-paint.

As far as balance goes, it is a very nice car, although I managed to get mine to loft the front wheels, causing it to deslot in a straight line.

They do spit the rear tyres off and I would go as far as saying they are stupidly over powered for twisty plastic track. I think a trip to a commercial wooden track might be in order here....................

I also had the guide problem, mine seemed to not be exactly parallel to the chassis. I ground a curve into the leading edge which sorted that out.

In contrast I purchased a Fly Lancia Beta Monte Carlo to run against it. Another stunning looking car, beautifully finished but not as well put together. for example, the crown wheel rubbed on the chassis, requiring some adjustment. I could go on but I wont. Suffice to say a few tweaks and it's running nicely, but not a patch on the MRRC Toyota.

Nice one MRRC....more please!

Cheers

Steve:cheers:

Steve

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I agree, I love my Toyota and my Cobra (red, which has the same motor!) and my Ferrari 275P. MRRC makes some nice stuff. I find the Toyota runs pretty close to my Capri and Lancia, maybe just a bit quicker. They all have magnets now, although I ran the Flys with out and they were very good. I run the Cobra no-mag and it is amazingly good, considering the excess of power. I have about 1/4oz of lead added to the magnet slot. Your right about gluing the tires, it's not a problem on a small track, but I ran my Toyota at a shop track with a 28ft straight and it pitched both rears in a spectacular crash! Luckily it survived intact.

The 275P is really good too, I was amazed at the grippy little tires it has. They had some ugly flash, but once trued, are very sticky. I swapped the fronts to the back of my Carrera D-type (yellow) and it dropped .3 seconds on my 50' Sport track! It was almost undrivable when I first pulled the magnets, but with a 1/2oz or so of lead and these tires, it really goes good. The 275P is pretty nicely ballanced with out lead and it will probably stay that way. It doesn't have anywhere near the detail of the Toyota or Cobra, but it's not bad. I can't wait for MRRC's new 935s and Cheetah!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I also love the MRRC Celica, I bought all 3 variants than were released 'til today. This car is really fast, much more than every Fly Standard car. Doesn't matter with or without magnet, it's always faster
But it's really hard to drive because of the extremely powerful motor. Personally, I use a controller with 7,5 Ohm, then the Celica is getting driveable (without magnet @ 12 Volts). The Fly Racing Cars are only slightly slower, but much more easy to handle.

·
Gary Skipp
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ran it at the club and it bounced around more than a basketball be bounced at a basketball bouncing contest.

Uber-truing required at the front end methinks, along with some skinnies as suggest by Jonny.

Tad o wight at the front might help too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts