SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

For the first time me and my slot-buddy will compete in a endurance race. The race is the Dutch 12 hours with group 5 cars.

Well at first we thought to take the Ford Capri, but the MRRC Toyota Celica seems nice also. But we don't have any experience with MRRC, is it reliable?

What do you guys think?

Gunther

·
Registered
752 Posts
The *ONLY* weak spot with the MRRC Toyota is the plastic motor pinion. As with most cars with plastic pinions, if you run them hard and long, the motor shaft heats up, the pinion expands and starts slipping on the motor shaft. I replaced my car's pinion with a slot.it sidewinder 11tooth pinion after it happened to me.....

Apart from that
it should be more than good enough to last the distance.

-Rob

·
Registered
543 Posts
the tire are wonderful. but, you'll probably have to glue them on the wheels. so, take extra complete rear axles.

all this supposes that there's no spec tire thing going on.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Well, the MRRC Celica ist REALLY quick, but hard to handle. The Fly Racing Capri drives somewhat smoother... the normal versions of the Fly Capri are not recommended.

·
Gary Skipp
6,513 Posts
The motor blew on my celica, other than that they are really really good.

Tips:

Put a different motor in - I have a standard scaley mabuchi in mine and its great, easy to handle, reliable etc. I know those aren't meant to be good for lengthy periods of time, but my standard celica scaleauto blew afterb a few laps at 21v. It was literally on fire.

Glue everything you can, and true all four wheels and tires.

Have the body really loose.

Should be a winner after that

·
Registered
265 Posts
LMP, your motor blew up at 21v? We have two that are raced regularly and they are excellent on our track. As far as I know these motors are rated at 12v. Do you run all your motors at 21v? How do they hold up? Seems like they would heat up pretty good at nearly double their rated voltage. Bet they are rocket-fast till they blow, true?
Cheers!

·
Gary Skipp
6,513 Posts
Haha

I was hel;ping Jon out with a party and whiulst all the kids were having lunch me and Flyin Ads had a burn on the track. He turned it up to the full power seein as the 12 the kids were running on seemed a bit lame, haha.

I reckon he broke personally, he had a few laps, I took over, noticed it was slow, looked at it and it was on fire! Musta been his driving style

Dont tell him I said that

However, for super GT we run 21 most of the time and my 28k scaleauto is fine. Maybe I had a duff one in my 'yota.

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
Gunther,

A small tip: keep in mind that top speed will not be all important, handling and torque will as the track has straights of max 3 meters....
Also I tested a toyota yesterday for it's top speed at our testing bench... couldn't get a reading as the tyres kept ballooning at 13.8 V..... best thing will be to true and glue them on the wheels.

I also think it's wise to keep our speed limit in mind, max 32 km/h at our testing bench...

Other than that, we look forward to having you guys around

·
Registered
514 Posts
Got my Celica in the mail yesterday, and unfortunately I haven't tested it on the track yet. Still this car is one of my favourite cars on the looks alone.
I don't know if the shape is correct, and the detail level is probably not as good as some other cars that I have, but it just seem so aggressive!
Just when standing there in that small box it's like the car is looking for some other cars to leave in the dust!
Clearly this will get company from the "race tuned" version once it arrives.

André

·
Registered
514 Posts
Heh, I didn't mean that the detail level is inferior by any means.
However it isn't quite on the same level as the Fly BMW CSL 3.5's that I have next to it...

André

·
Registered
543 Posts
the shape is pretty much on.
from memory it looks right.
now if only someone will make resin bodies of the long tail version.

or maybe mrrc has the nissan skyline gp5 car in their future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts