SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just been looking at the MRRC cars, the Cheetah and Cobra look amazing.

I've not got any of their cars, does anyone have strong opinions on these cars?

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
The Cheetah may be wonderful but everybody has been waiting years for it to appear. The Cobra in my opinion was wonderful - just remove the magnet, fill the rear full of lead and put your foot down. It seemed to be just like the real thing, lots of vibration, tail-heavy and fast. But that was a different chassis - the new ones have the Sebring chassis with slimline motor - a bit like putting an F1 engine into a real Cobra. I've not driven one though.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quite good, actually! I bought their first "new" release, the cream Porsche 911, and it is a joy to drive. The tyres that MRRC now use are quite soft and grippy, and if anything the motor is a bit too powerful! However, it uses the rather excellent Sebring chassis so it can (mostly) cope

Drawbacks? Maybe the finish of the cars are not the best; bits of flash moulding here and there. The bodies would be at home inside a model kit, but they are still very nice. In my opinion, the Porsche is the only decent "early" model 911, mostly because of the lack of flared wheelarches!

Conclusions? Buy one

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Personally I think the slimline motor used in the Sebring chassis is awful, too much speed, no brakes, I've got the Chapparal 2E and the body is fantastic, unfortunately the motor is not, but I have noticed on Pendles that there is now a specific chassis for the Chapparal that takes an S can motor, I may be getting one of these.

In short, the Sebring chassis has a rubbish motor.

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Skinny motors are my least favourite things in the slot world, as 21k with no natural retardation off the throttle isn't my idea of fun - especially as our club runs no magnets and no brakes.

I've tried the gorgeous Porsche 910. I love how it looks and want the 911 and the Cobra. However, after the usual prep, the 910 spluttered, stopped and started, then finally managed to struggle round for a lap sounding like its gears were in some gladiatorial fight to the death.

As an act of kindness I took it off the track before attempting a second lap. Mind you, we'll be running them as a class for the next three months!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Personally I would not hesitate to buy anything MRRC, usually what problems (few) they might have can easily be sorted and overall they run and handle well. They may not be on the same level with Slot.it or NSR or anything like that, but definately a notch above most everything else! Love my Cobra's and my Chaparral's!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I'm seriously considering buying the body and wheels from the 911 and putting them on a Ninco 911 chassis.
For my taste a PCS is better than the Sebring but only because it has a decent choice of motors.
BTW I don't use magnets but do have brakes.

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
1. They make top quality good performing cars that each have their own characteristics.

2. The Sebring chassis and offset slimline motor/gears set up is notchy and not very good. But loads of people like it for some reason.Even in older chassis cars the gears are sometimes rough with a habit of the pinion breaking for no reason. 3/32 all over so it's easy to swap over parts from other manufacturers.

3. They don't rip you off with artificially hiked-up prices.

4. The Cobra is the best classic car ever made by a slotcar manufacturer, especially if you can get an older one before they put in a silly over-powerful redcan Mabuchi. Fantastic hubs and grippy tyres. It'll convince even the most reluctant sidewinder fan that front-motor slotcars actually do out-perform everything else in some cars. And they are such fun to race.

5. Buy one and enjoy, whatever car you are drooling over.

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
I'm really happy with the cars I've gotten from MRRC. The early front motor Cobras performed (with some tweaking) about as well as any of its contemporary rivals... and better than many. In fact the modified Cobra chassis was my "go to" chassis for a number of my early kit bashed and scratch built slot cars.

The Sebring chassis has its faults but I've been well satisfied with the one kit bashed resin body car I made from it. The stock motor may be be a problem but I replaced mine with an AE FF050 that performs a bit better than an NC1 and got a very driveable good handling slot car when I was finished.

Greenman62

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi guys!
I'm suspect to say something cause I really love these MRRC cars.

I have 2 porsches 910 (one spyder and one coupe); two chaparrals, 1 Ford Mk4, 1 porsche carrera and currently converting one porsche 910 body kit in a chassis I'm building.

I run no magnets and in my opinion, these models are more like 60's slot cars than nowadays and it is charming. They have a great appeal and are sold at "honest" prices.

MRRC provides a good spare parts range and recently is also supplying low RPM motors as separate, what I think great, cause, I think that for the kind of range they are selling, these low rpm motors(16k) are more realistic, specially for those who run with no magnets.

Can't await for the Cheetah

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Ricardo Bifulco

1 - 11 of 11 Posts