SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t care what people say about tobacco advertising, been a fan of every tobacco livery since a kid and never ever had the smoking habit😀

Well, Marlboro is one of those liveries that fit well on almost any car, and the McLaren F1GTR is no exception.

Got a few(5-6) MrSlotcar “contender” series cars from a pal on 2020, he didn’t want them because he said they were not good for racing, plus he needed the money, so I decided to buy the whole bunch of cars at a very nice price (I don’t remember but it was a good one) and see later what would I do with them.

Finally another friend sent me a picture of this car he was looking for :
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

And then I thought it would be a good idea to paint three cars with the Marlboro livery theme, two Senna tribute cars and one Keke Rossberg tribute car(Im tempted to paint a menthol green livery hehehe).

So decided to put hands to work, stripping them of everything…

Shoe Helmet Tire Sports equipment Sports gear

Then some primer and masking and more paint, a fine coat of urethane clear and start applying dec
Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive wheel system

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Almost finished…

Footwear Hood Eyewear Automotive design Automotive lighting

And they are ready 😀
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

Vehicle Car Tire Hood Wheel

Im very pleased with the result and they should be fast Cars so next GT race I’ll give them a shot😉

·
Registered
15,287 Posts
The best and most colourful McLarens I've ever seen, Daniel. Lovely models.Very well done. Your son is quite right, too. Everyone should have three versions ( at least) of every slot car. Just don't tell your wife, though.

Incidentally, it occurs to me that the shape of the McLaren seems to lend itself well to the 1970 917's blue and green 'psychedelic' livery. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice crisp masking too. What do you use?
Thanks mate, I use Tamiya masking tape, the trick as has been said by other members of SF is to apply a small thin spray of clear once you have masked everything, to seal the masking and(once it’s dry) then you can apply the second color without to much risk of leaks below the tape.😉

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And the clear coat? What do you, did you, use? 🤔
For masking sealing Tamiya Clear; for first coat (before applying decals) urethane clear (Axalta is the one I use) and second coat goes the same brand, after all decals and colors have been applied, to protect the whole livery.

Tip of the day: Urethane clear is very thick compared to regular modeling paints, so I advice to use a cheap airbrush only for this (big nozzle 1.5-2mm) and not to use your fine airbrush(Iwata, Paasche, etc), otherwise you may clog your airbrush and ruin it .

Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,324 Posts
Hmmm. Noted.

I've not yet used m' brush for the protective coats, leaning on the hard to come by, tinned, Mr Hobby Gloss.

I do have some fancy Zero Paint three-jar concoction but mixing it and the fact it goes off quickly is making me a bit frit.

I should just man up. When it's cooler.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
Yeah, I dunno. That just doesn't suggest durability to me. 🤷‍♂️
It's what Lawrence uses to polish the wooden floor of the school assembly hall. I reckon if it can stand countless feet, chairs, tables and whatever else being raked across it and only need re-polishing every 2-3 years then it should take a few slot nerfs okay!

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
As driver#8 said it's a floor polish, designed to go on any non-porous surface, sealed wood and tiles so sould take quite a bit of use. The other advantage is that as it's self levelling and shouldn't leave any brush marks you can just apply more if needed. You can also use it to help hide scratches on light lens and other glazing. As it shouldn't effect the clear parts you can, in theory, just airbrush it all over the car when needed without doing any masking.

I just re-found my bottle of Klear a few days ago, was hidden away in the back of my shed years ago when I stopped making aircraft models, so now I can do all my re-decaling jobs that would have required a complete body strip down to get them sealed.

When I used some the other day from my old bottle it was a milky colour and as I wasn't sure if it was ok I tried some on an old unpainted body and the windows. It dried perfectly and left the windows crystal clear and I've just tried giving it a hard scratch with my thumb nail, body and windows, and I can't see a mark on it. (Don't try this at home as you may not get the same results and I take no responsibility 😁 )

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The best and most colourful McLarens I've ever seen, Daniel. Lovely models.Very well done. Your son is quite right, too. Everyone should have three versions ( at least) of every slot car. Just don't tell your wife, though.

Incidentally, it occurs to me that the shape of the McLaren seems to lend itself well to the 1970 917's blue and green 'psychedelic' livery. Just a thought.
You speak so kindly Laurence, glad you like them, yes I concour that the Marlboro color IS the fluorescent one, it’s makes the car more alive than ever and for us who use glasses, it’s easier to spot on the track 😉😄

Three of every car, yes that should be the standar…

·
Premium Member
6,324 Posts
I do use the floor wax to smarten up 'glass', that's true.

Hmmm. Still undecided. I got this trick Zero stuff, might as well use it. Sometime. 😬

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
If you do use the 'trick' gloss coat WI please post how you get on as I've got some as well but also haven't taken the plunge. I have a habit of keeping the air brush needle wet between coats and don't fully let one coats dry with the normal gloss clear coat before applying the next wet coat so I'm sure I will end up with the 'trick' coat setting in the air brush. I might just buy the cheapest Chinese air brush I can find.

·
ParrotGod
11,551 Posts
To seal my masks (tamiya tape) I use also Tamiya clear TS than I decant in my airbrush. Then I spray it with the airbrush along the seams I want to seal.
It usually works pretty well. Just make sure that the tape is well attached to the surface: the clear can help but not if you have huge gaps.
It is quite common to have leaks in very complex areas. You can see some of these issues in some of the pics above: the rear of the car has some very complicated lines where the tape has some hard time to seal properly. In these cases, try to use a soft pencil to draw around the contour of these difficult parts (like the air intakes, scoops etc.) to make sure that the edges are well covered

·
ParrotGod
11,551 Posts
Well, it is a straightforward livery and a very catchy one. But executing it properly (crispy likes with not leaks) is not that easy with all that masking job.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts