SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my track -- the Mulholland Rally Track -- left me this morning, off to seek fame and fortune in Hollywood.
Yes, I got a call from Warner Brothers this week, and they wanted to use the MRT for a scene in the new Dukes of Hazzard movie. (I think a digital track is a bit anachronistic, but I kept quiet and took the money
). I'll try to get some pictures of the track on the set of the movie to post on SF.

·
Registered
120 Posts
That's a well-deserved kudos for ya!

Was it expected or did someone see it on the web (lightbulb goes bright) and give you a call?

I hope you checked them out and it's not a neighbor pulling a fast one to obtain an excellent new track
But then again, as long as they gave you a small fortune for it, I suppose it wouldn't matter eh?

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
QUOTE (DogFish @ 9 Jun 2006, 10:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Was it expected or did someone see it on the web (lightbulb goes bright) and give you a call?

I hope you checked them out and it's not a neighbor pulling a fast one to obtain an excellent new track
But then again, as long as they gave you a small fortune for it, I suppose it wouldn't matter eh?

No, they didn't buy the track (sorry my original post was a bit vague), they rented it for a week ($1K US + $4K security deposit). The studio was referred to me by my local hobby shop (which sells mostly Model RRs) where I had purchased a lot of the scenic stuff and gotten lots of advice. I do have a couple interested buyers, but no takers yet. In the meantime, the extra space in the garage will allow me to build a loft storage area so that I can accommodate a larger slot car track...

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll try to get details about the role of the slot track in the movie when I visit the set on Monday or Tuesday. I think they're making a General Lee (maybe out of a Carrera Dodge Charger) for the race.

(No, Matt, not $5K to rent, $1K to rent and $4K for a security deposit against damage meaning they valued the track at $4K)

·
Tel
4,125 Posts
Slot General lee and cop car ... if only

Nice bit of fame, I can see why the track would suit the movie

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Well, I promised an update on the MRT's 15 minutes of fame in Hollywood.
Unfortunately, nothing much to report. I was busy at work and couldn't make it to the set for the shooting. Apparently, Warner Brothers made a General Lee out of a Dodge Charger, but I didn't see it. Would have loved to have a picture of Willy Nelson racing on my track, but
it didn't come to pass. The track returned today from it's brief brush with stardom. Look for it in the upcoming Dukes of Hazzard II. (Several people have expressed interest in buying the track, perhaps this brush with fame will help me sell it so I can get to building the new rally track).

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Wow, that's the first that I've seen it in the movie. In the end, I rented it to the studio for 2 1/2 weeks (they took it a second time). They actually transported in a truck to the set, and returned it. Although they invited me to the set, it never worked into my schedule. So, I hadn't gotten any pictures of the track. This is the first picture that I've ever seen. Thanks for passing on the links!

This, of course, was my old track which I sold last summer. I actually designed my new track on three separate 4'x6' tables bolted together just because I knew that it might end up being transported somewhere for some reason...

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
QUOTE (GulfRacer @ 24 Mar 2007, 20:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just saw the new Dukes of Hazzard movie and although sophomoric, it was also kind of fun... sort of a National Lampoon take on the Dukes. Anyway, one of the highlight of the movie for me was a scene involving Uncle Jesse (Willie Nelson) and Boss Hogg (Christopher McDonald) having a discussion at Boss Hogg's house and while they are chatting, they are also racing.. you guessed it.. Scaley SSD. In fact, it's a nicely landscaped track and it looked like they were racing a couple of GT40s. Just thought you guys would like to know.

Steve.
lavenlaar, thanks for posting the photos. I'd seen the movie, but it's great to see the stills. They also confirm the answer to Steve's observation about the cars (lifted from a "Digital" SSD thread). The cars are actually a Scalextric GT40 and a Scalextric Ferrari P4. I sent along with the track a selection of my digital cars including these two. They're two of my favorites as well so I'm not surprised they decided to use them for the movie. Originally, I thought they were going to create a "General Lee" for the movie, but obviously that was beyond their interest.

P.S. unfortunately, no autographs from the cast...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.