SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ok, so I promised more.

The revonators have left, the track is closed and the public gone, so out with the camera and - voila!

No figures yet and it should look even better in semi darkness but...

it also doubles as a reminder that the track is still switched on when leaving

Again, I went for rustic realism and used just the features present in the model to enhance it paint wise. The wood boards are done in the same way as the figures above. The checkered effect was completed by painting out, roughly, the white squares and then inking along the checkered boarders. A detail that was already present.
Lastly, all that was needed for a crisp finish was to more carefully paint in the black squares.

Sorry for the blur here but I was standing on a high stool leaning over the back of the track trying to capture the lights.
These are the dedicated building and track lights from Overdrive and consist of 4 bright white SMD LEDs.

WARNING - these lights are designed for use with 6 - 10 Volts so do not link direct to track power when using more or variable power. I am using an old square blue Scalextric transformer that has tested out at 10 volts mean.

I drilled a hole through the podium and then the track base to take the 2 small cables under the table. The lights are simply super glued in place.

The sign at the back is simply the logo cut from a business card, marked to appear screwed onto the wall and stuck with double sided tape.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
What's with this "Swiss Race Ban"? Did I read that right? Seems a pity to go to all that trouble building a track and not be allowed to race on it!

Just kidding
Bet that's an old joke too!

Fantastic job all round Swiss. Brilliant as always

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That 'ban' joke isn't too far off John, Since a series of bad accidents in the 50's ('52 actually was the year I think) there has been a total Motor sport race ban in Switzerland.
It is only in the last year or possibly 2 that the rules are being relaxed and racing (alot of hill climbs funnily enough
) has been allowed again.

So - the name is made up or at least three references..

1 Swiss Race Track - self explanatory ?
2 Swiss Race Ban - simply a bad pun that has some hidden meaning

and lastly, the 8132 bit is this-

for the figure 8 race track, 132 for the scale most prevalent ( though not exclusive) AND 8132 is the post code for the village I live in and the track is based in.

Destiny?

·
Gary Skipp
6,512 Posts
In german a Rennbahn (sp?) is a racing track, an Autobahn a motorway. So I guess its a road type thing, seeing as Swiss is probably not to far off German language wise.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Great job of enhancing my podium Swiss. You were very polite in not mentioning what a ball ache it is having to paint the chequered back drop. I have recently been helped by `Skippy` who has made some printed colour back drops that look superb. So far we have covered F1 but are sure to do more. Once laminated and fited in they make a hard job easy and look great. E mail srapaul for details.

Never thought of fitting lights to this model,cracking idea. The Victory podium took me longer to design than the larger (much) Pit Garages and looks great as a stand alone diorama once the Victory celebration figure set is added.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well, no more people as yet but something for them to look at maybe...

Thanks to Rico from Slotters Paradise, we now have this amazing backdrop to Mugello.
Done with normal toners for interior emulsion paint, it took him around 6 hours split into two sessions (One reported by Thomas in the ongoing 'so it begins' thread).

Loosely based on pictures of the real views from Mugello and alot of great artistic license, I give you this...

His signature is the 'Swiss' airline plane with new advertising logo for 'Slotters Paradise'. A nice authentic touch ehh?
One wing tip of this small diecast plane was ground down and then hot glued into a purpose drilled hole.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Very cool. Well done.

The shadow behind the plane looks suspect though, but I assume you don't see it under normal light.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
More amazing stuff. I hope the (many) regulars who will enjoy the tracks you've built appreciate they are in slot car heaven. Good luck with the big opening this weekend.

Scott

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Man man man...

This track gets nicer and nicer by the day...
Superb backdrop!!! The plane is an nice detail!!!

Swiss: Very nice track man!!! I'm curious for the details to come!!!

G.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Swiss,

WOW! That is a fantastic job sir! Probably one of my favorite tracks so far. Very nicely detailed. I'm really miffed now that my track isn't against the wall so I can paint a backdrop like that.

Fantastic!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts