SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
hello

My name's Dimitri, I'm french, and I'm working for a few of months on a permanent scenic track.

The concept is to be able to drive the maximum of slot cars scales, on the same track.

The theme of the track is of course rally, but vintage city-country GT-GP racing too (vila real, targa florio, etc...)

For that, I based my work on Carrera Go 1/43 components, because it 's cheap, quite good quality, and not too big for my game room!

On my track, I can drive H0 cars ( tomy turbos, magnatractions...with a little braids modification ), 1/43 cars (jouef, artin, carrera go, scratchs, etc...) and 1/32 rally cars (only in "rally mode": one car against clock). Track lenght: more or less 9 meters.

For the electrical part o f the job, I used two stock 15v carrera go, power supplies, with variable voltage (I used this article of P. Marchand for that: http://homepage.mac.com/pmarchand/cheap_an..._adjustable.htm ) , and added direction reversing . I added two scalextric sport 60ohm with brake controllers, and 3 power taps.

I've got computer race timing with photocells, the software used is Slot race manager.

On my track, I can drive H0 cars ( tomy turbos, magnatractions...with a little braids modification ), 1/43 cars (jouef, artin, carrera go, scratchs, etc...) and 1/32 rally cars (only in "rally mode": one car against clock).

Now, the scenery part!
In my idea of "multi scale race track", I was confronted with the scale differences of my cars!

To fix that problem, I decided to build the natural part of the scenery permanently, and build the buildings and accessories on removables bases. I arranged sites for the future removable buildings bases too.

With that system, for example on saturday I will be able to race a h0 vintage GT mediterranean grand prix with a set of vintage GP buildings, and on sunday I will be able to race a WRC 1/43 rally of suede, with a different set of scenery models!
With that, AND the direction reversing , my permanent track will still fun in the future, because I'll be able to add or remove scenery, and create new types of environments.

I've already almost finished the landscape (work in progress: 70%), Now I've to coat the plastic track for integration, then paint and add the scenery accessories ( home made modelling flock, home made trees ("how to" articles are here and here in french but easy to understand)...the "permanent natural part" of the track will be finished after that. (the removable buildings part of the scenery will be added after that)

Now the pics!

before plaster coating:

after coating the mountains with plaster (it could be a snow rally track lol )

Now, after adding some texture on the track:

Now, I've to add some new textures, coat the track for good integration and it will be ready to paint!

Next improvments quickly!

dimitri

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you!

yes I was a little frustrated to drive only 1/43 slot cars, so after several tests for the "technical part" ( 1/32 guides on a carrera go track, braids and guide pin on h0, etc...) I decided to make a track wit removable buidings, to adapt the scenery for each type of race.

Now I have to return on the others track topics of this forum...some tracks are just astonishing!
the level is really high here!

bye

·
Peter Christie
1,835 Posts
fantastic...I want to play

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UP

next stage: coating!

the goal is to simulate a "wood track effect", so I coated the gaps between track pieces and scenery.

Not a very exciting stage of the track building...but essential for my project!

Now, the pics!

Next week, a more interesting part of the job: the paint!

bye

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
Wow, that's one nice track!!
Very clever using Carrera Go and running several scales.
The scenery looks awesome.
If I decide to stay put in the place I'm in you've got me convinced to refurbish my entire circuit. I need mountains like that.
Awesome!
Steve

·
Registered
552 Posts
Terrific looking layout. The mountains really set it apart and running the different scales is a huge plus. I'm working on my own dual purpose track but only the pit buildings will be removeable to make way for rally tents.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you a lot!

yes I was a bit frustrated to drive only carrera Go cars...so I decided to do that track!

Of course, in 1/32 scale in "2 players race" I will be able to drive only little cars (classic formulas one, little rally cars, like fiat abarth, Mini, etc...), but in "1 player rally mode" I will be able to drive "regular" rally cars, like lancias, wrc, etc...

Finally, the categories will be:

H0:
vintage GT (60's Gt race cars)
Le Mans 80-90's C Group

1/43:
WRC modern rally
(and futurs scratch cars, it's a good scale for that)

1/32:
"2 players mode": "tiny rally cars", f1 classic (cooper climax, ferrari 156...)
"1 player mode": ALL rally cars (modern and classic)

The track configuration will be good for rally and vintage road races! and with the removable buildings, I 'll be able to change the "spirit" of the track, even if the track plan still the same.

Bye!

dimitri

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UP

I 've coated the holes between tracks parts and scenery, I've entirely cleaned everything and posed masking tape for the next painting stage.

I've also finished the texture of the borders, 90% of modelling flock powder and thin sand.

Next, before painting, I've got to create two or three fake roads to simulate real city-moutain road, and make the bridge look a real one too.

I recall you that the scenery AND the track will be painted, to simulate a wood routed track effect.

I think the job will be finished (not include the different scales buidings) before the end of the year!

here the pics!

bye

dimitri

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UP

After holidays, I 'm now able to continue my track.

I've done the tunnel (with some coating mixed with pva glue), to look like a real mountain rally track whre the road pass trought the rock.

Here's the pics:

I've also finely coated several turns to obtain different textures for slides.

Next week: painting!

bye

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ive been following this post for a while and have to say its inspired me to build my own multi scale track. Nowhere near the same league and Im using Artin track. Its small but nice and twisty. Highest point is 5 1/5 inches because it has to fit under my bed.

Thanks for the inspiration dmether.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Great idea.

Cheers Nick

·
Registered
158 Posts
thank you!

a new pic to see the width of the tunnel (WRC 1/43 improved Carrera cars)

any car (of any scale) with a width less than 5 centimeters (include little 1/32 cars, like vintage f1 and little rally cars for example) could be used on this track !

next pics soon!

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.