Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

I can use a multimeter, but i suspect that i am not using it on the right settings, if i wanted to test the amount of power flowing through the rails at any point in the track what settings should i use

i just want to check dropout and deadstops in my track, also

Thanks

ScalextricRacer

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Hi SR,

first of all do use the proper setting, or you'll very quickly find yourself with a fried meter - i.e not only put the dial on the type of measurement you want / range you expect, but also connect the probes accordingly

Resistance (power off ) : if what you have is a low cost meter, this will only be useful to detect shorts or open (interrupted) circuits - no fancy stuff like arm resistance, the min. range is likely to be 200 ohm and you won't get a meaningful reading for 1 - 8 ohm . The probes go at the two ends of the circuit you want to measure - visualize it, on a track you'll have two circuits in parallel unless you break it somewhere. Initially, touch one probe with the other to be sure you have a 0 reading

Voltage : use V DC where you expect DC current (
) i.e. everywhere in analog, power supply output and car decoder output for digital. As regards base station/control unit output, it depends on the wave form - it would be DC setting for Carrera, AC for SSD. The probes go across the two voltage terminals

Current : you must insert the meter in series , i.e. interrupt the circuit and complete it with the meter - all the more important since you'd likely be using the 10 A range, and that usually doesn't have a fuse ! DC vs. AC setting, same as voltage

Hope this helps

Beppe

·
Martin Kay
728 Posts
As a non-electrician I feel I ought to try and get to grips with using a multimeter to check for any power dropouts on the SSD circuit - particularly as we have some old Classic track sections that aren't quite as snug a fit as the Sport ones. Unlike Scalextricracer I have never used a multimeter and don't possess one.

Two questions then, first, what sort of multimeter is good for testing a digital slot car track (and a link to a one in a web electrical store would be great), and also, having looked at these instructions do they still apply on digital tracks? For example do you need a load resistor and a taped controller, since the track is fully powered anyway, can't you just use a car? Any guidance on how to check the voltage at different points around the circuit, understandable by someone who took three attempts to pass Physics "O" level, would be most welcome...!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts