SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was just watching one of the scalextric Digital reviews, and a question sprung to mind...

You will find the Vid here.

Digital videos from a review

The video about setting multiple cars on controller 1. The controller is set to constant power, and 5 "slavecars" were run on the track.

My question is based around lap counting.

For every single lap on controller 2, there would be 5 counts to controller 1. Im wondering how the system would deal with this?

You can of course go faster than a constant speed car, due to it will only move at the fastest it ever can go around the slowest turn.

If I was to digress a moment....infact, this point goes futher. Of the 5 cars, they will always differ slightly in setup, or u can tune the cars to go faster. Chuck another magnet in the "slave cars"t take the magnet out of yours and it could get quite competative. That would make a track with a track with R1 turns a bit cumbersome.

Getting back to the point....So ultimatly over a longer race you will get ahead. But you will never get the fatest lap....

Some of the lap times would be incredible. The cars could pass (the start/finish line) almost instantly on either lane, side by side.

I wonder if the reviewers could feed back on what the system did when they were testing this. Im sure the system wasnt designed for this to be a feature and hinderance, or was it? Did it only count 1 car per pass?

CoolS

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
If you can set a 'minimum lap time' then the cars on controller 1 will never complete a lap

However, I don't know if you can do that on this system.

Regarding the different setups/speeds of the cars on controller 1, I would expect them to eventually bunch up and be tailgating each other, the fastest one at the back of the group.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (astro @ 5 Nov 2004, 01:22)Regarding the different setups/speeds of the cars on controller 1, I would expect them to eventually bunch up and be tailgating each other, the fastest one at the back of the group.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Brings a form of racing to mind - nascar...

I guess it would just be a question of resetting the cars again - to spread them out abit..

I kinda think that it defeats the object of digital a bit... but it would be interesting on a quite night in for a while.

CoolS

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
How do the 5 slave cars keep from running into each other. I don't know much about digital but I'm assuming each slave car gets the same amount of power. But each car would differ in it's abilities and assuming equal power to each car wouldn't they operate at different speeds?
Please clue me in.
Confused,
Steve

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Basically this '5 slave car' idea is finding a fun way to abuse the system, using in a way that it will function, but it is not particularly designed to do.

It looks like it could be fun for a while, judging by the video

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,

Great site here - just found it
Has lots of inside info that I'm looking for.

I've got a question about viewing lap counting in the Scalex digital. It seems one has to peer at the tiny LCD screen for this info. I have also noticed from the vids and pics in this forum that there is an AUX output on the power base. Does anyone know what this is/will be used for? Is there currently a way to feed the LCD display or info out to a PC? Or is there a RMS Digital version planned which will handle all of this?

I'm used to my analog Scalex Classic setup with lapcounting by homebrew photo-transistors and pc (and thanks to Gregory Braun's software). It will be hard to part with that when I go digital.

Cheers,

Trackman

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey trackman

Ive looked at the port on my set, and from what Ive heard - in the new year, a software set will be released to ad some pc support - I beleive its aimed a bigger viewable screen. Im not sure how much pc support is going to be availible.

Lap counting is done on the small screen - and initially its hard to believe, enough info can be put accross on the small read out, but the basics are there, and its easlity readable.

Having run a few races, you see the car number - the lap time and how many laps completed, so its easy enough to work out whos leading etc.

The screen is not actually my ideal, I think its a bit poor actually, however, its better than nothing, like a standard set with no lap counter at all.

Cheers
CoolS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts