SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im curious about the power drain of digital systems. When multiple cars are running (they say) you can feel the other cars. This is true with any two lane home set power supply, but large amperage aftermarket supplies fix this problem.

So my question:

If a four lane club track has a 20amp supply, you generally cant feel the cars in other lanes, BUT, will the same thing be true with digital???

So I'm wondering if I want to run 6 cars on a digital system, will it suffice to get a 30Amp power supply, or are digital cars always going to "feel" bad because the cars are sharing the same rails?

I hope that they work well with big power supplies because nothing would be better than running 8 cars on a four lane club track!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Its possible to run multiple power supplies in parallel, in which case the amperage is doubled (tripled, etc).

Thomas said the carrera system is limited by the power supply and that the digital mechanism is not limited to four cars. I was hopeful that you could add another power base and run 8 cars. Of course, they would never advertise this to the standard consumer because you need an aftermarket power supply to pull this off!

I am a software engineer by trade and I guarantee it would be no more difficult to engineer a digital system that could send signals to 16 cars as opposed to just four. The hardware imposes the limitations. In this case, the power base only has connections for four controllers and the power supply only has a certain amperage.

If a given power base can be coded to send four independent signals, then another power base could just as easily send a differnt four signals. The question is if the four "frequencies" are hard-wired at the power base?

Likewise, the lane-counter blade with four holes can be coded to represent 16 cars, but can the lane counter recognize patterns?

I highly doubt if any of these systems are hard-wired to accept a max of 4 or 6 cars. I bet a scaly system could take 12 cars if there was enough power and an additional base.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It all good!

Cant wait for the carrera pro-x digital! I'll be the guinea pig and hook up a 50amp power supply! And get an extra power base to see if I can run 8 cars! on 3 lanes! (with one lane for reslotting).

Im stoked about digital and i expect those crazy germans are going to get it right!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, my plan is to build 75' 4-lane club track into a 3 lane digital setup, with one lane for reslots.

Carrera accepts offset construction so this should be no problem.

If you can run two head units with differnt addresses for every car, then that would be 8 cars on 3 lanes with one lane for reslots.

Obviously this is just conjecture, but I dont see the need to go to a Davic system for the average club. It looks like the carrera digital hardware may work fine to run 8 cars on 4(3) lanes.

Carrera Offset Construction +
2 head units +
Aftermarket Power supply =

8 cars on four lanes. Perfect for club racing IMHO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts