SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
At present, only the Davic system can support more than 6 cars.
Enough amps should cure any 'dead' feel on any system.

SCX have let it be known that they plan to upgrade for the possibility of a total of three power supplies to their two lanes (6 cars max) in order to alleviate their particular problem. I don't yet know the total current that these will be able to supply.

Scalextric apparently have 24va and 30va PSUs available. Feedback from triallists of their system has been a little mixed about whether this is quite enough, some say yes, some say no. I would have thought 60 va would be minimum for 6 simultaneous cars, myself.

Carerra system is currently reported to only support 4 cars, so the current requirement is around a third lower.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I am inclined to agree with you on the theory at least.
I don't know enough about the technical detail but it could be that the huge requirement for sensitive speed control over quite a large range could be a limitation on the 'electronic traffic' as opposed to the physical traffic? Compared with say model trains, where it's pretty easy to assign around 100 or more unique addresses, slot cars travel immensely faster and we are REALLY pernickety in our requirements for 'feel' on the controller.

At present, it seems that neither of the 'big three' are even planning on more than 2 lanes, let alone more than six cars but this might well change IF a provable demand is there. I think they are wise to be ultra cautious!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.