SlotForum banner

multiple lane LeMans starts

6K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Sidecar Steve 
#1 ·
Looking with green eyes at the new SCX LeMans start set..... But is there any way I can hook this up to my 4-lane?? Can the necessary extensions be adapted or scratch built from other sections? Or do we just have to lobby SCX to do it for us.... soon. Or is it already out there? 6-lane would be cool, too! Can't you just imagine 6 GT40s, Porsches, 512s lined up slantwise by the track as the clock strikes 4?
Do any of you chaps have any suggestions?

#2 ·
Scalextric made these multi lane track sections , originally for thier Pit Lane. I am pretty sure these would do what you want as they did the first Le mans starts and the are the same.
However they are hard to find now and expensive when you do..happy hunting

#9 ·
Scott... you have me slavering at the mouth!!!

But lacking the funds to invest in ebay collectors items and digital tracks etc etc... Is my thought about scratchbuilding extensions for multiple lane starts completely off the wall? Has anyone tried mucking about with track sections? I've got plenty of spare Classic & SCX track to saw up. Any tricks for connecting/fixing?

I wonder if I could rig up a little 1/32 Jackie Ickx sauntering slowly across to his GT40?

Cheers everyone!

#12 ·
Yes! I never had any interest in collecting statics. Couldn't see the point of a racing car sat on the shelf, when you could actually race one. But now my shelves are filling up with static slot cars, and the idea of making a proper setting for them is growing! Cheers!

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
You mean like this?

I love my 4 lane SCX Lemans start set up. SCX did make the 4 lane crossover and it was also made by Exin and branded Scalextric in Spain.

The scaley crossover doesnt work.

Now, it is discontinued
but does occasionally come up on Ebay
but is usually pretty pricey. I started to make one from scratch but turned up a couple on Ebay and it only cost me one arm and the leg below the knee!

Steve

#15 ·
Wow! Exactly what I had in mind. That's inspiring! I don't think I'm even going to risk getting sucked in to ebay, bearing in mind that the children need feeding once in a while, but it gives me the incentive to at least try sawing up some spare bits of track to see if I can do it. What next? Opening doors on the cars so the drivers can get in?

#18 ·
Gosh....it is just so embarrassing to post a smart alec riposte that gets shot right back in your face again. I really thought that opening doors and articulated drivers might be a radical idea. I didn't honestly realise that it's standard practice in other clubs. I stand instantly corrected. But always looking for a challenge, I'm now fitting my cars with miniature multi-CD players so that the drivers can have something interesting to listen to while they lap the tail enders- like Stirling Moss in his Rob Walker 250 SWB. Finding appropriate music is fun. `I'm a Looser' is popular with the Aston Martins. 'We are the Champions' is reserved for Porsches. Meanwhile Jackie Ickx is still ambling slowly across the Sarthe tarmac, 'You Can't Hurry, Love' echoing from the open door of his waiting Gulf GT40. Don't tell me THAT's been done before....or am I wrong again? OK then. What music would other people install in their slot car's sound system?
Oh. Time for my medication already.

#19 ·
QUOTE (howmet tx @ 5 Dec 2003, 05:08 PM)Wow! Exactly what I had in mind. That's inspiring! I don't think I'm even going to risk getting sucked in to ebay, bearing in mind that the children need feeding once in a while, but it gives me the incentive to at least try sawing up some spare bits of track to see if I can do it. What next? Opening doors on the cars so the drivers can get in?
this might help http://mr-bigstuff.com/howorld/archives/ho...emn/lemans.html

#21 ·
A four or six lane Le Mans start really doesn't seem too hard. Just a matter of buying 2 or 3 sets and source the additional lane croosing pieces of ebay. they may not be cheap but I they could be sourced for a reasobale sum.
I saw a 4 lane Le mans start go ebay the other day for $550 aussie dollars!!

#23 ·
Turismo. based on that price (and taking into account selling the four cars at $30.00 each) makes the cross over piece "worth" about $400!!!

I wonder if SCX will reintroduce the part.
Will they beat Scalextric to the punch on the pit lane?

Roll on 2004!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.