SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is an idea I have been working on that I finally have been able to start. The concept is by making a single lane rally track and adding different turnout points that come back to itself you could end up with numerous layout configurations.
For every Pair of turnouts you end up with a 2 to the power of +1. Example formula is X=2 to the power of Y X being the number of possible layout configurations Y is the number of pairs of turnouts ---< >--- you also can add a 1 to Y by incorporating a reversing switch and yet another 1 for a double turnaround loop one in each direction. refer to second picture. With 4 modules each with only 1 pair of turnouts and the module in the second pic you will have a total of 32 possible configurations. Hows that for keeping it interesting. Here in the states it seems that most like ovals and multicar racing but my wife and I love rallying and as such I wanted to get the most action and assortment out of the smallest possible space.
Hope you like the pictures please offer suggestions, ideas, or even criticism.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Tried to follow what you have written, but gave up. Instead looked at the picture of what you made and I can only see 2 possible routes, or 4 if you count the reverse direction.

·
Peter Christie
1,835 Posts
interesting concept though!

·
Ian
99 Posts
I'm with the guys sounds really interesting.

I like the section you've built already, are you going to use some form of switch/servo to select the choice of route? How does that work?

Keep us posted and pictures as it progresses

Oh yes welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
http://www.jdozs.com/DFMR/MultiStage.htm

I hope this helps. I know it is confusing that is why it has taken me so long to get this far. As far as the possibilities with the two modules there is 8 total. around the outside in both directions, taking the inside in both directions (thats 4) and then the out and back in both directions ( 4 more) However if you add more modules which I will be doing that is where you increase the number.

I was going to automate the turnouts but instead went with a much simpler approach. I figure manually would work out fine for now. I am thinking I will probably automate it all at a later time but the concept there would be to use a digital keypad and just type the number of the layout I want and everything goes into place. Costly so I put the idea on the back burner.

The website goes into more detail I think and hopefully explains it better. The wiring for the second module is proving to be challenging but I think I have it figured out now.

thanks again
Jeremy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I tried to make the turnaround loop today but due to insufficiant funds I had to use some scrap MDF. It did not work out well and now I will have to wait a couple days till I can get a few sheets of mdf and some other lumber. I guess I will tape and start scenery on the first module while I wait. Will post pics when I am done.

Thanks
Jeremy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some paint and tape. I got to test it out in each direction and worked wonderfully. The CCW inside route was a little tight but drivable. Scenery will begin tomorrow I hope and the next module will come in about 2 weeks. hope you like the progress.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No recess was needed. I thought there would have been but after testing there is no problems. They stay really tight against the wall now that they are painted. I originally was going to use a plug method but decided against it when I just couldn't make it work. I am surprised I haven't seen this done before with so many rally tracks out there. It's cost and space efficiant. I am like most where I want the biggest possible layout but I get bored so quickly with the same layout. I like to build these tracks so this idea quickly became a passion more than a hobby. Maybe soon I'll have more people to race with than just my wife and kids who by the way are only 5 and 6 and sometimes give my wife a run for her money. This track plan gives us enough stages to run a proper rally and we don't have to rent a banquet hall.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's a great idea and looks like a lot of fun! Good thinking on the popsicle stick switch, too. Maybe you could embed a small magnet in each side of the switch, and one on either side of the slot. That should keep the switch in place. Very cool.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Squish, I had not thought of magnets before that should work. Jexy I am manually moving them. I was trying to eliminate as much extra cost as I could. It may be a future project though. My goal is to electronically move them which squishes Idea of magents may be more effective and hook them up to a digital keypad this way I could punch in the number of the stage I want and let the track to the rest. But for now it's all about a screwdriver.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Great work Jeremy. Always good to see new ideas, being able to pick a stage/route manually or remotely on the same track is a great idea. I haven't built a permanent layout yet mainly because my layout design is constantly changing and I'm worried once I've built it I'd get bored with just one design. This looks the ideal way to maintain variety in a 'permanent' layout. So I guess I'll be changing my design again

Look forward to seeing the finished article.

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
QUOTE (jdozs @ 11 Nov 2005, 19:14)For every Pair of turnouts you end up with a 2 to the power of +1. Example formula is X=2 to the power of Y X being the number of possible layout configurations Y is the number of pairs of turnouts ---< >--- you also can add a 1 to Y by incorporating a reversing switch and yet another 1 for a double turnaround loop one in each direction. refer to second picture. With 4 modules each with only 1 pair of turnouts and the module in the second pic you will have a total of 32 possible configurations. Hows that for keeping it interesting.

Eh?

I ummmmmm

Wot the?

Ahhhhh

But.....

Anyway................... i love the polystyrene snow walls

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Gray for helping me see just how confusing this is. I hope this clears it up for you and anyone else who may not understand.

The above picture shows a rough drawing of what this could look like. Each pair of turnouts are labeled as such. the 4th pair is the turnaround loops.32 possible layouts Just in case.

X = 2 to the power of (Y + 1) X is the number of layouts you will have. 2 is the number of directions each pair of turnouts will be able to make in this case only left and right. Y is the number of pairs of turnouts on the layout and 1 is only if you have a reversing switch.

X = 2x2x2x2x2
32 =2 to the power of 5.
Hope this sheds light on the project.

The snow has been covered with dirt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.