SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here is a sketch I drew for a four lane routed track. This will be my first try at routing, I've taking down the HO stuff and shortened the table height by 8 inches.

Here is the track layout layed out using printer paper.

7 sheets of 4x8 mdf later and the track is all cut out and ready to be joined together.

I went looking for the stop bead mentioned on another thread but had no luck, I did find something that worked just as good called 7049 BW Stop located at Home Depot in the vinyl trim area.
I also came up with an idea that requires no nailing into the mdf and it can be adjusted if the lines don't look quite right. Note: sections need to be cut out first.

All you need is the vinyl trim that I mentioned, some 2x2's cut to length and a bunch of quick clamps, (luckily my brother had plenty for me to borrow)here's a pic of the nailess jig in action,

I had to flip it over to get to the inner lanes.

The routing went pretty easy and only a slight mishap when I took a little pressure off the router then it wandered just a bit.

I also rigged up a variable speed control using a light dimmer switch for my cheap router.

My son would start it slow then turn it to full on to avoid any sudden jolts.

I've got the routing done.

I tried getting as many sections of track cut out from as little sheets of mdf as possible. Knowing I would have some scraps leftover, I knew that I could add the extra pieces for the area's for aprons later.

Got it painted, now it's time to lay down the tape.

Got three and a half lanes done.

I fired it up jumping off a couple of stock Scaley terminals, the track is nice especially the long sweeping curve.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am now spending quite a few hours on the track everyday, and work is coming along nicely.
So here is an update on my progress,

The main control center, with variable speed controls to adjust power to each lane and to also run cars on there own.

Driver Station blocks made of wood and using 3.5 stereo plugs. I never liked the idea of screws sticking out from tables.

At the main station I have this block to plug into any of the four lanes.

The back drop painted on the basement walls, the green areas are the table walls.

Trees painted onto the table walls.

The scenery is finally starting to take shape.

The retaining walls along the long sweeping curve.

still more to come....

·
Premium Member
2,716 Posts
Looks excellent. Nice combo of straights and curves.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the comments all, the retaining walls are almost done. I'll post a few pic's soon.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Very nice looking track! Keep us posted on the progress.
I saw your Fly truck we race them out here and call them BURT trucks. Since not all in our club have them we race them IROC style and have a blast. Here is a link to Dennis Samson's Pebblestone Rwy ("The Stone") and a video clip of the BURT truck race. Mine is the blue Bulldog chewing on a bone Buggyra.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Great track, and nice to see your scenery machine the skills you put into the whole project. Well done! You are setting a good example for all of us that haven't dad to enter into routed yet! per

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE (4.3 ZOOK @ 22 Feb 2011, 23:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The terraced walls came out good,any Ideas yet what is going on them?

I was thinking maybe some shrubs/greenery.

QUOTE (4.3 ZOOK @ 22 Feb 2011, 23:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Will the hills be getting trees,bushes?
Yeah, I plan to after the rest of the table is done.

QUOTE (HarV Wallbanger III @ 23 Feb 2011, 02:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very nice looking track! Keep us posted on the progress.
I saw your Fly truck we race them out here and call them BURT trucks. Since not all in our club have them we race them IROC style and have a blast. Here is a link to Dennis Samson's Pebblestone Rwy ("The Stone") and a video clip of the BURT truck race. Mine is the blue Bulldog chewing on a bone Buggyra.
I saw them at the Ihobby event and knew I had to get a few. I pick up three at the Indiana show last fall but two of the trucks had loose wheels so I have to find a couple or go with aluminum set.
I would like to keep them stock though.

I checked out the truck link the trucks are a blast to run.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.