SlotForum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

You folks inspired me last year to build a permanent layout in my garage, so hopefully the photos will work below, here it is so far.

I've just built the table, sorted the track design and elevations at this stage.

Its been done in classic scalextric track and is currently analog but I'll be converting to digital in a few months. I just wanted to get the track right first before I start tacking down pricey digital track, and I must say I'm pleased with the circuit. It's got a good variety of corners and I wanted a fast layout too. There are a few homages to Monaco, Barcelona and Spa! Although the size of my garage limits the effectiveness of these homages but you get the idea!

In the next year I'll be adding scenery and buildings. I'm going for a semi permanent road circuit look with limited run offs. Rocks, evergreen and water will dominate. I'm a big fan of Spa and the Nordschleife so those will be inspirations.

Hope you all like it, any suggestions on scenery would be VERY welcome please.

Cheers and thanks for all the AMAZING tracks you've all built, they've spurred me on to do it myself.

Andy

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You said it, it's a start. I reckon it'll take an age to do all the scenery, but over a year or 2 I reckon its possible. I quite like desertscapes as well but I'm settling on the popular evergreen / rock landscape.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Some great elevations there. Definitely a lot of scenic potential even in a small space (there's always side projects for buildings when you get tempted
)

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. And don't stress to much about the duration of a scenic project. I'm told the average is 2 to 3 years. But that is, of course, assuming that a scenic track is ever truly finished.

Cheers
Embs

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Embs, it will be a long haul job. I've done basic scenery before but I wanna go for super detail on this thing. I wanted to have a hobby that I could disappear for an hour at a time and immerse myself in it. I've always loved scalextric and my boy loves it, so I thought hey, a scenery project would be therapeutic and allow me to unplug from the daily grind a little.

I had a look at your stuff, bloody hell woman, you've got some talent. I never thought I'd be stunned my a model shed! Its amazing, I'll be on to ya for tips and tricks!

·
Robb
581 Posts
Looks like a great start, and I love the last pic!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Robb @ 1 Sep 2011, 13:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks like a great start, and I love the last pic!

Cheers man, lookin forward to getting some scenery donel, it feels a bit like a German autobahn at the minute!

I love night racing too, I've got some great LMP1 cars and some Chaparrals which are a joy in the dark! My boy loves it.

All the best.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (Mike Buettner @ 2 Sep 2011, 03:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Really like the I-beam supports. Going to copy that. How did you figure out the angle for the cut?

Hi Mike,

The I-beams are stable but if you have time I'd recommend screwing them together, I did a bunch with a nail gun and they weren't quite sturdy enough, although I'm picky.

The angles were done on a circular saw with rotation. I generally went no more than 15-18 degrees, most around 10 degrees. Anymore more than that and low flat bottomed cars won't run well. I actually had to lessen the angles in places due to this problem.

You can see in one picture there's a corner with about 25 degrees, this works due to the gentle taper further up the track sections, its kind of trial and error after you've tested all your cars.

This track is ready to go now, so it'll be replaced with sport track and digitised soon, then scenery goes on!

Post some pics of your progress, I'm always looking for ideas and this site is great for them.

Happy slotting.

Amdy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (RikkiGTR @ 3 Sep 2011, 15:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Excellent stuff. Those I-beams are how I'll be supporting my own Suzuka track (once the rest of it arrives *mutter* *grumble*).
Threads like this one get me excited

I like the look of ya work so far! You've got so much space, the world's ya oyster! Suzuka is great cus of the figure of 8. Go for it. Will you be doing scenery and all that jazz?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts