SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've had this Mac Pinches' 1949 Talbot Lago resin shell for a while now with no idea what kind of chassis I was going to put underneath. I have ZERO scratchbuilding experience, so I was really wondering what I was going to do.

Ever since I saw Al Penrose's (Mr. BWA) popsicle stick chassis, I knew I wanted to try it myself. Well, I finally got up the nerve to give it a go. Here's my work in progress and, yes, I just ran it tonight and it works!!

The chassis includes a micro-motor w/ 64pitch 11 tooth pinion I found at Electronic Goldmine (thanks for the tip EM), BWA wheels, and Sonic 64 pitch 32 tooth crown gear. The guide is still causing some grief, so I may switch to a Patto's trailing guide.

And, yeah, I realize I may be off on the wheelbase. How many inches are "scale" on this car?

This motor is small but has a lot of punch. Almost too much. The breaks are light, but tolerable. The chassis needs some weight or a small magnet. I can't wait to finish the shell. Mac does great work and is a nice guy too!

Sorry about the quality of the photos -- it's late.

Steve

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Nice one Pasttime!!!

This looks very good!!! Keep up the good work and keep us posted!

I need a chassis for a 57 Bug... (i found one on 1/32) Maybe I'll try it with popsicle's too...

Greetz

Gunther

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The Talbot Lago is one of my favourite cars (come to think of it I have a lot of favourite cars!) and this is definitely one on my "to do" list.

Great job so far Steve - look forward to seeing pictures of the finished car on your beautiful track

·
Al Schwartz
3,378 Posts
Looking very nice - glad you find the motor works well -

QUOTE This motor is small but has a lot of punch. Almost too much. The breaks are light, but tolerable.

Since, unlike the 60's F 1s that some of us are agonizing over, the Talbot has a veritable cave at the rear, you might try going to shorter gearing - e.g 9:36 or thereabouts - the motors have plenty of revs and the shorter gearing would improve the braking effect.

(Word of advice - if you change the pinion, use a solder-on set up. the amature shaft does not extend through the brush housing but ends at a recessed thrust bearing - trying to press a pinion on will likely destroy the motor)

EM

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
QUOTE if you change the pinion, use a solder-on set up.
Even better,use Loctite 262.You woodent want to set that thing alight with a hot soldering iron.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks gentlemen. Much appreciated. It's not pretty, but darned if this little thing doesn't run nicely around my track.

EM, I think I'm going to leave the gearing alone for now. I just know I'd break something trying to pry the gear off. Besides, the motor is already installed. Maybe for my next pre-add project... Like I said, the braking is tolerable. I think this little motor has an inherently nice braking effect to it.

I do have a question about the Lago, did these ever race in any other color than the "French Blue" or whatever this blue color is? I'm surprised if it wasn't considering I'm sure privateers used the car -- didn't they?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Al Schwartz
3,378 Posts
QUOTE I do have a question about the Lago, did these ever race in any other color than the "French Blue" or whatever this blue color is? I'm surprised if it wasn't considering I'm sure privateers used the car -- didn't they?

Yes, they raced in yellow - not sure of the provenance but mostly likely a Belgian entry.

EM

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
as martini says there was a yellow one, this was run by Jonny Classe as a private entery, one was at Silverstone 5 or 6 years back, im not shure if it was just a coppy or the real thing. cheers mac p

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O.K. guys, here's an update. Now, if you don't like fictional liveries, you won't like this car. I decided to go two-tone and keep the predominant color "French Blue." But, to add a personal touch, I added a gloss aluminum nose and carried the aluminum color across the bottom of each side. I also added the American flag as this car would have been raced by an American privateer in my fantasy world.

The BWA wheel inserts are a creative whim as well. I painted the spokes light gun metal and the knock-offs gloss aluminum.

Unfortunately, my Tamiya clear ate the front white roundel decal and caused a big mess. I'm not all that fond of these MRE decals.
I made the best of the situation and came up with a so-so fix. A close-up of the nose would demonstrate the rough nature of the fix, but it's acceptable for me.

I still must paint and detail the driver and steering wheel. GRAY MAN is just riding along as a "placeholder."

Here are some sample pictures:

Thanks for looking,
Steve

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
QUOTE if you don't like fictional liveries, you won't like this car
No worries Steve, I don't see anyone complaining so long as you've got Outlaw Josey Wales (gray rider) in there driving! Just needs the hat, leather coat and pair of six guns to finish off nicely

Great job , the car looks absolutely terrific
I want one!

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
pastime , that looks ace,i like it. we tend to think these oldies where allways blue, red green or silver , the factoty colours, but you watch the cars in old race films , 50% of the grid was made up of privateers, they changed the cars and colours to there own spec. great job cheers mac p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts