SlotForum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
feels like i havnt got as much done as i would have liked however the mountains are now painted
i really need 2nd opinions on the mountains though . . . . .

during painting

after these where dry i decided they looked rather flat and bland

so i re painted them

then after careful thought i decided they where the colour i was going for and placed on some of the scatter grass i made

and them thought to see how it looked added a car
drifting around the harpin

exiting the hairpin/mountain section

(i know they are on different lanes i was trying to get the best angle without the sun shining on the camerra)

i need some opinions on how the mountains look?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Mountins are fun huh. I painted my a few times before they looked good to me. That is the main thing, Are you happy with them. I tried to answer you question in my thread, But my computer had other plans
. I'm not sure what you used for scatter grass, but I think you shouls add more.
When I painted mine I used basic artist paint, black & white. Mixed them together and painted them with a small brush. Like I sayed, I painted them a few times befor I liked the 'grey' I had. Then did the accent with woodland scenics white,concrete, raw umber and a very small brush. I added accents till I got what I was wanting. If you screw up, you can do it over. Most of all,
enjoy it.

John W.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
mmmm im thinkin the grass does look a little flat,im happy with the painting of the mountains,although it is something i could do again there are odd bits id like to improve but standing back and looking im happy with the overall outcome,im starting to construct the "fence" atm pictures soon, but its proving to be tricky

·
Registered
91 Posts
For you joint on the decline.

Kerf the sheet that you are trying to bend and use a piece of 3/4" plywood that is as wide as the track and 8 inches long. Put 4" on each side of the joint and put screws through the MDF and into the plywood. MDF isn't really too strong for holding joints like this so use the plywood. A little construction adhesive won't hurt either.

see Luf's example

http://oldslotracer.com/Corkscrew1.html

good luck,

BT

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
ive been a busy bee cracking on with the track,so here are the updates

not really relavant any more but this is 1 of 4 1/32 lorrys i got for a bargain price

beggining the copper taping

back straight in the mountain section

first set of power taps

right i got this from a boat shop but i dont do electrics and i didnt quite realise what this was,basicly to create a common live/neutral/earth a.k.a "buzz bar" so this shorted out my power supply and took my a while to work out why

this is now the proper wiring i was laughing all the way through putting this in

the copper tape is all on along the mountain section

the only 3 cars i had in my garage

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
i been very busy hence no updates track is fullu taped fully powered and racing nicely just a fair bit of work on the scenary to do here are the pics so far

looking up towards the mountain section

looking over the whole track

crashed dtm

nascars racing

dale jnr. in the pits(bit blury sorry)

matt kenseth in the pits

coments please?

·
Greg Gaub
15,416 Posts
Looks great to me! I'm sure it's a blast to drive as well.
The video was good, if a little short. If you do another one at some point, some video from the driver's (you) point of view, watching the car go around the track a couple times would be cool. Not all close ups and trackside views, I mean. You know?

What kinds of things do you have still in the plans?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not sure if I'm right, but on some of your corners it looks like the copper tape has creased just a little. If so try one of these I've used one for taping my plastic track an it works like a dream for flattening out those annoying little bumps.

CB
Gaz

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
yeah the copper tape did crease quite a bit
how ever it doesnt effect(mayber affect never get them right) the cornering the track is not as grippy as i would like but it does make a great drift track,and i do apologise about the short video i was a bit pushed for time,sorting the kidies out,i still have to repaint the kurbs,nxt to the cars there is a small mountain section that needs grassing oh and also you may notice i hadnt quite masked the lanes well enough so theres a little bit of bare mdf about,if my brother comes down this evening ill get a better video which will b a fair amount longer might chuck some music in there too,cheers for your comments.

sledghammer you are 100% correct damn racing gets in the way of the little bit of scenary that needs finishing.
and does any one know of any instructional pages on building flood lighting? i fancy putting some of them in next

·
Greg Gaub
15,416 Posts
Wonderful! That was exactly what I had hoped to see. I love how you tried running two cars and filming, that had to be hard.
At least you weren't also trying to really RACE them. ;-)
Thanks very much for putting that together for us to see. Much appreciated!

-Greg

21 - 37 of 37 Posts