SlotForum banner
421 - 440 of 461 Posts

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #421 · (Edited)
Any tuning tips on scaleauto F1 I assume you did the standard lube and tire prep ?
I'm not a big prep guy... you have to remove the rear axle to take out the magnet (and loosen the motor) so try to get the gears as smooth as possible - note how far the rear tires are set out. On one the crown gear was mounted crooked so I had it swapped. The front wheel height and travel need adjusting. I have them setup a little different on all three and I'm not sure what's best. They are rather loud so I tend to keep them off the track to a large degree.

The braids seem to work fine against the guide so I just widen them. The rear tires are rather hard and look fairly true so I just sanded them a bit overall including the edges. I figure they will get better by turning laps... rather have the car get faster than slower over time. :)

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #427 ·
I think A will be more your style.

edit: so that means probably you'll like B better. LOL!
My original thought was B as at first glance it appears more sweeping however in reality (from what I can see) it isn't. A lets you maintain your speed coming out of the turn at the end of the straightaway (running counterclockwise) all the way into the next turn. One off/on and you are back at the tight 180. Where B has similar esses that I wasn't a fan of on my first layout. For some reason they always felt like filler. :) My second layout had an esses of A and I really liked it... time it just right and it feels great.

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #428 ·
Neither, go four lanes with the borders instead of six lanes😞
It would be the smart thing to do... Alan has the four lane set for a steal right now... buying the track in the set would cost more than the set... so even if I didn't use everything else (just added more track) they would be free. And I could check out those fantastic borders. :)

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #430 · (Edited)
It’s easy for me to say I have Policar track but I’ve never raced on Carrera, I do know I’m very happy with it since I changed from my previous track system
Going to punt for now. I agree it makes sense so I'll back order the 4 lane set which looks to be a couple of months away... then I'll decide if I want to give it a go and it won't cost anything to try the set vs purchasing the track itself. Came up with C... definitely ahead of B and probably A. My tables are slightly larger than shown so it might all fit on the tables or at least be close enough.

Human body Rectangle Slope Line Font

· Registered
4,814 Posts
I would go with B but do away with the short straight and join all the curves up. If you go for A I thin k you will end up loosing that short straight between the curves somehow. Somehow I don't think C will suit your requirements, again those little straight will end up being start/stop.

· Registered
4,814 Posts
I think maybe you should start with a two lane design running around the perimeter of you tables using the largest radius curves you can get and the look at filling in the middle. Better still it's time to go routed. For your purposes you don't need to keep to standard or even lane spacing so you can forget about plastic track constraints and having designed the outer lane you can close the lanes up or widen them to make each curve individual and as smooth and flowing as you like. The short straight in you designs above can become gentle curves sweeping between the main curves.

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #434 ·
I like the idea of sweeping bends so I’m surprised your not trying something similar to what you’ve got but four lanes that you can actually use😳
I played with six lanes since that is where I was centered and it appears rather restrictive so there isn't a lot of options - it would be much shorter so I wouldn't want too sweeping.

If I go four lanes I'd probably avoid R1 curves so by the time you add borders it wouldn't be much thinner than my existing Carrera. I have plenty of time and for the heck of it I'll probably see if I can duplicate the existing layout in Policar with four lanes. I figure if I get the set I'll learn way more what I like and don't after trying a few layouts so there isn't any reason to try and lock something down... it comes with more than enough pieces to play around.

All told I bet a four lane layout gets posted before too long.:)

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #435 ·
I would go with B but do away with the short straight and join all the curves up.
Too many curves for me especially esses - not a fan.
Somehow I don't think C will suit your requirements, again those little straight will end up being start/stop.
On a smaller layout I think you need a little more stop and go. Also there aren't any R1s outside of the one 180 so there is some sweeping. :)

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #436 ·
I think maybe you should start with a two lane design running around the perimeter of you tables using the largest radius curves you can get and the look at filling in the middle.
That's pretty much what I did.
Better still it's time to go routed.
Makes sense however not an option.

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #437 ·
I've played around trying to create four lane Policar layouts including attempting to duplicate my current layout without any success. That is comparing them to six lanes such as the layout C above. By the time you add borders the difference between four lanes/borders and six lanes/no borders isn't much. And in some cases it even forces me to use tighter curves such at the far right of my tables. I could only fit R1+R2+border instead of R1+R2+R3. And I would be running lanes one to four instead of lanes two to five... tighter curves.

Now I'm not saying you can't create a stellar four lane layout with Policar as you can! I'm just not sure I can create a better one than I can with six lanes... however again if/when I receive the four lane set I would know a lot more... I'll keep playing just in case I decide to order the pieces instead of waiting for the set to become available.

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #438 ·
If I get the nerve to "rip apart" my current layout I could more or less build a duplicate of the Policar option C (shown a few posts up) with my existing track (leaving roughly half of it in place). I could see how much I do or don't enjoy running it. I've got a feeling if I did I'd drop the idea. :) A lot of the advantage would be running four lanes and playing with something new. Trying to visualize it I don't think I'd want it any more sweeping as it's approaching rather short and needs a few speed changes to keep the interest.

Rectangle Gesture Line Font Parallel

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #439 ·
I ordered everything needed to "wire up" four lanes largely from Professor Motor (wiring center, wire, controller hookups and track power clips) along with a pack of Policar straights. Used Amazon for four DPDT switches. I figure worse case I convert my Carrera track to six lanes. :) Last time I kind of threw it together and even though it works great I rushed to get to the end goal. This time hopefully I'll take my time and put everything in place like the DPDT switches and at least one power tap (layout is going to be so short it probably won't even be needed).

This way I can get a look at the actual track before I commit to the entire layout. If I don't sell my track (hardly unlikely I do) I'll order another power supply since I'll keep the Carrera running during the process. I was thinking of getting two terminal blocks and create two controller "centers" but decided to mount everything on one three foot or so board - which can be mounted under the table). I'm guessing if at some point I want to place two controllers on the other side of the table I could extend their wires one way or another.

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #440 ·
Got bored so I picked up my "terminal center" board at Menard's and drilled the four holes for the DPDT switches. Or I should say filed the holes since I don't have a 1/2" bit and I'm far too cheap to buy one. Hopefully the terminal block mounts between them and controller hookups on the outside. I know the controllers won't be spaced very far apart which should be fine 99% of time. If I ever rent time on the track I'll run wires for two controllers to the other side of the layout. :)

Wood Rectangle Table Wood stain Hardwood

421 - 440 of 461 Posts