SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Im 36 and ive had a box of scaley track since i was about 8 and have allways wanted a permanent layout.
So now it is a reality

Started to convert the attic into a dedicated slot room about 3-4 weeks ago, and thought it was time to start my own track thread

As i work in a hobby/model shop i managed to get a load of ninco track on the cheap, and gave the old (really old) scaley track to a friend.
i had around 80 foot of ninco to fit in to the attic, on an L shaped table.

Plan 1

Heres a few pics of the build (Click on thumbs for fullsize pics)

Now i have finished the trap door we can start on the scenery

Will add updates soon.

·
Premium Member
2,716 Posts
That is an awesome space. It reminds me of our attic.

What is you head room? Ours would be about 6 ft. in the centre.

We have talked about doing a similar reno.

What are the table dimensions?
I love the track especially the many different radius corners and long back straights. I am not a fan of the 405 corner. Just not something that you see in racing. It reminds me of a parking garage - maybe too much like my real life! That's just IMHO

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Theme is hopefully going to be 50/60's countryside going into a more town/building type area.
we have lots of model train magazines in the toilet at work
so i get lots of ideas while sitting on the throne
(feck those train geeks can do some serious scenery)

Slots-o-fun, by 405 i presume you mean the tight inner radius curves? ive allways loved having these in my tracks, as a lot of control is needed to stay on the track
and this will be the more town area with pavements and curbs...hopefully.

Head space is about 7.5 ft in the center, im 6 ft exactly, so i get about 2 ft either side of the center, plenty of head room tbh.

Table is 11ft x 11ft and 6ft deep (Track plan grid is in feet)(New pic)
Room is 13ft x 13ft.

ok, lunch break over, time to get some tunnel entrances made

Thanks for comments guys.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Idd m8, But, the bottom one is very short and flat, so not having many deslot's atm while testing.
As for the higher tunnel i plan on having the outer hardboard wall/barrier about 10cm high, so giving me a fair bit of space to have open on the rear of the track for lane 2 driver to retreive.

i totally here what ya saying, but we have been test driving for over a week and not too many crashes in either tunnel tbh.

thx for input

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
QUOTE (r3k0 @ 25 Mar 2008, 09:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i totally here what ya saying, but we have been test driving for over a week and not too many crashes in either tunnel tbh.Just food for thought. The best thing is to test it. I had two curved tunnels in my first permanent layout (see below), and I've got a straight tunnel in my current layout so I've got experience with them. If you do have curved tunnels, make sure (1) you can easily see when cars crash in the tunnel and (2) that it's fairly easy to reach the cars in the tunnel. Still think it's best to avoid them, but sometimes you just gotta do it!

·
Registered
657 Posts
got a lot more cardboard and hardboard on it last night, then tested again for an hour or so.
No probs at all at this stage, if they deslot its usually at the end of the longer tunnel and the car usually makes it out of the exit
i used the shiny side of the hardboard so the cars slide across it a little getting closer to the exit.
the lower tunnel isnt a prob as im stood very close to it while racing and most accidents will be from midway to the end.

also lane 2 controll point is behind the table, so visibilty was allways limited for the tunnel area, even before enclosing it in.
so making the tunnel has equalled it out a bit as now i cant see a simular amount as lane 2

Thks for posting the pics, another shocking reminder of how much work is ahead

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Fast track to a permatrack!
Looks great fun, I will be watching with interest.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Made a bit of structure for the island and put a bit of plasterers board finish on it

will get some paint on it soon but trying to work on the tunnel entrances.
i really want to do them in brick or large stones, but i dont want to use printed paper.
i working on using some fimo/sculpey to create a textured stone wall, dont know how easy/time consuming this will be so just working on 1 exit atm.

any ideas on creating textured brick/stone walls would be good.

Thx

Rico

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update.

Well me and the Mrs have been a bit busy these last few days, with the track that is

Had to split the track after seeing someone on here do the same, it has changed the feel of the track sooo much, really happy with it so far.

Also got a bit of green on there
yay, feels so nice driving aroung the semi finished sections.

Have made my bridge entrances/exits out of 9mm ply with about a 4-5mm coating of plaster of paris, scratched in the brick details and will be painting soon.

Well heres some pics.

Click to enlarge thumbnails.

Thx for looking

Rico

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.