SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Hi All,
Finally trying to find time to post some bits and pieces so here goes with my slot cars old and new.

When I decided to go 1/43rd late last year I already know about Jouef cars thanks to Kev's (Loosesalute) posting on this forum and looking through his posting I found a few must haves

The Ford GT40

This was my 3rd Jouef car

and the Porsche 917

the e-type and SL300

a red GTO

Ford Capri

and now....

sorry that will have to wait time to get ready for work

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi All

Kev - When I get a chance to work on the Capri the black will be going, it looks a lot better in the photo than in real life.

Woodcote - the garage is a scaled down 1/32 cardboard building, If you search in the track forum and search for postings on building you will find links to a few sites doing cardboard buildings. This can from www.carrera4fun.de. Click on Gebäude & Deko on the right hand menu then on Dioramen then on Garagendiorama and download the PDF files. When yiou print them adjust the scale to give the size you require. All the buildings on my Winter Track are from here and scaled down.
Anyway time to move on and this week I received two cars from France the first was a second Carabo

I wasn't after another of these but as it was being sold with the car I wanted and as I got both for the price of the one I was after and two pair of Jouef braids as well it meant that for two cars I stayed with in my car price limit.

When I first saw this car on Kev's posting it was in red and I have missed out on getting a few of these (the later cars with amber glass) then Kev posted a photo of a cream version and I think it looked so much better than the red version, maybe because it has clear glass and a driver.

Anyway here it is

A good old Mini Cooper.

It need a good clean and polish and I haven't had a chance to try it yet (only arrived Friday). Got to remove the Olympics stickers, but at least I already had a set of replacement tyre for it - just shows how prepared I was for getting one and not even a Boy Scout. Although to be honest I ordered them in error from Bruno.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
The Jouef Minis are cool Beardy.
Only the early versions had drivers.
Get some Autoglym on it & the car will be shining - careful on the roof though because that black paint can lift off easily.

I don`t know if Bruno sells the tyres for the Carabo - if he doesn`t just google AEROSLOT tyres in France.
Cheers
Kev

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok time for another update on my cars

A few weeks ago I took advantage of the sale by The Modeller of Carrera Go! cars and this is what I got

These 2 are going to be the bases of a couple of conversions with any luck from these

But this will stay as it is

Would have preferred an earlier version of the Mustang but a Mustang is a Mustang

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all
still working backwards and showing cars I haven't shown in other postings

I picked up this Speedking Porsche 718

not in the best of condition but not knowing anything about Speedking thought I would check one out.

needs the paint stripping from the body

new tyres if I can find any, new braids it looks like I might be able to adapt Carrera Go braids. It does run but one rear wheel need to be glued on as it is no longer a friction fit on the axle. looks like being a winter project.

I don't think I've shown these two Policar models either

these where being sold in a complete set but as it sold for £10 and I didient want the track I got the seller in Italy to just send me the cars and crash barriers. This kept the post to a very reasonable level. Both cars have working lights but the cars don't run very well, new tires needed, and I thing the run on a low voltage as I have blown one of the bulbs while testing the cars. These cars looked very small and at first I thought they might be a smaller scale than 1/43 but the I saw the real thing while watching the highlights of this years vintage meeting at Silverstone and it would appear that they are very small cars.

My Jouef collection has also grown a bit since my last posting in the winter track thread.

Next up was this Playcraft original style Lotus without wings

No yellow strip and black engine / exhaust unit.

This was followed by another Capri, body work in good condition this time but some black paint to be removed

This was followed by two more complete cars - this Lancia Stratos

and this Silver Porsche 904 GT

not in the best of condition

the headlights are missing and the silver paint is well worn

Well that just about brings things up to date. I have received a couple of body parts, I had to buy some more track and with this I received, a Renault 5 body which will help with the restoration of the one I already have. A Porsche 911 body that's not in the best of condition as some of the window posts a broken and missing. And slightly more useful is a yellow Ferrari 250GT chassis which has steering front wheels and gives me the option of changing my yellow Ferrari to an earlier specification if I want to.

I've started to list all my cars, slot and diecast , on my website link here
I will also be listing my track builds and there will be lots more photos than I post here. I also intend to post some videos of tracks past and present.
Don't take any notice of the references to films and TV shows as this all related to a previous project which never got of the ground.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
there´s a go!F1 rear tire mounted on the Capri

I like the Capri and the Stratos, the Stratos is really looking great and sitting nice on the track, not as high as the others I´ve seen before.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi all,
Been a little while since I have had anything to post but all good things come to an end.

First ..Kev the plain green Lotus is marked as Playcraft and I have seen a couple of others recently in Champion sets.

November has not been a good month for me and collecting cars, due to bad luck, lack of funds and my own stupidity at times I have missed out on a few cars I have been after.

Anyway I have just received another Porsche 917LM

Of the three 917s I now have this is in the best condition and the most original. Although it still has wire wheels I thing it looks better as the are the grey un-chromed ones.

This car also has the smaller front winglets and is a darker shade of blue than my other two, in fact I think it is quite close to Gulf Blue.

In fact as you can see all three of my 917s are different shades of blue

And a few more pics

Regards

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Hi Keith.

Your Lotus (post 10) is definitely not a UK release. The green Lotus with a tampo printed yellow stripe was the only one ever available in the UK.

The Lotus was never available as part of a (Champion) set in the UK , if you have seen one in a UK set it is not the original car. F1 cars available in UK sets between 64 & 68 were the red Ferrari, gold top/black base Ferrari, green BRM & chrome top/black base BRM. In 1964 a very few F1 sets had the limited edition
chrome top/chrome base BRM & chrome top/chrome base Ferrari.

Also, yes your car will have "Playcraft" stamped on the bottom - this does not necessarily mean that a model was a UK release, all new Jouef & Champion cars released up to 1967 had "Playcraft" stamped on the underside - the first not to do so were the Ford GT40 & Porsche 904GT.
Quite a few older & revamped Jouef models would continue to show the Playcraft logo right until the early 1970s - long after the partnership with Playcraft had ended- including some examples of the type 2 & type 3 Lotus F1.
Even some Spanish built cars would have "Playcraft" stamped on the base.

Very nice Porsches. Over the years they were available with three different types of "moustaches" fitted.

Cheers
Kev

An example of the UK Lotus. (1965 - 1968). cat. no. X356
Yellow tampo printed stripe, chrome exhausts & correct chrome wheels fitted.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi All.

Kev I know that you are normally correct in your facts but I have to disagree in this case. I have just read you last posting with the Champion advert and clicked on the photo to see it full size, and the thought I would have a look at the other photos.
The next picture to the right is for the Champion B set and this comes as you say with BRM and Ferrari, however below this is X.116 Lap Recorder Set with Lotus and Ferrari.

Anyway I've added to my car collection as I was able to spend a little bit for Xmas, the 917 I've already shown and I'm waiting for a Renault F1 to arrive but the bulk of my funds went on a single purchase. There were three lots on ebay that got my attention..

First this one with a tempo printed GT40 and three cars I don't have.

Second this one with six cars including a tempo printed GT40 and one car I don't have the Ferrari F!.

And third this one a hard top E-type.

Well I won one of the lots and it arrived yesterday, just need to take some photos now and I will post them here as soon as done and also on my website which will have a lot more photos and details.

Regards

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Hi Keith.
I`m not wrong regarding the Lotus F1 & Champion sets.
The Lap Recorder set is advertised in the 1967 catalogue, but it was never released - it`s clearly stated on my site (UK Catalogues & Box Artwork section). The 1967 GT & Rocking Road sets were released in small numbers(I`ve got both of these).
Manufacturers not releasing an item after a catalogue showing has always happened over the years.

I hope you got the hardtop EType, because that went for a song.
The other batches are also very nice, watch out for rubbing of the side tampo printing when handling the GT40.

Cheers
Kev

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi all,
First Kev I bow to your knowlwdge.

Ok so which Jouef lot did I get, well I missed the 1st lot by being a bit stupid. I tend to bid quite late and normally via my phone and I tend to wait until I get the item finishing warning before checking on the item. Over night I always put my phone on silent and that Sunday I forgot to turn the sound back up. In the end I missed the auction end by seconds

So it was between the second lot and the Hardtop E -type with the 6 car lot ending on the Tuesday and the E-type on the Wednesday. By Tuesday the E-type was already just about up to my limit so the choice was to bid on the 6 cars or wait and take a chance on the E-Type which could quite easily go over my limit. So in the end I bid for the 6 car set and unbelievably no more bids where placed on the E-Type, would I have got it within my spend limit
who knows.

In the end not a bad deal as it worked out at just under £12 per car and three now additions.

Top of the pile has to be the tempo printed Ford GT40

It's not perfect, looks like the rear mounting post is broken and will need repairing. It runs quite well out of the box, only changed the rear tyres but the original tyre were not the bad only about half a second between them for a lap on the Winter track.

One I didn't have, one of the later Jouefs the Ferrari 312T

As seems to be the case with all the later cars the tyres are rock hard, did get the rear tyres off with out breaking them and for the moment it's running on the rear tyres from the Carrera Go! Dune Buggy which are a good fit. Does look like it's on rain tyres. Again the car runs very well out the box.

And now one in a different colour as both my other Chapperals are white and it's complete with the rear wing, most of the red ones I've seen for sale don't have the rear wing

Just changes the rear tyres so for and this is at the moment one of my fastest Jouefs

Next a Porsche 911 in Olive Green and no paint on this one

Like most of the cars the rear tyres although looking like original ran quite well again with about half a second between old and new replacements. This would appear to be just about my fastest Jouef straight out the box.

And having waited a while I now have two Minis

Again ran quite well as arrived but have changed the rear tyres with those on my other Mini as this one a much better runner

And finally another BMW 3.0CSL and again with no paint unlike my other one

This was the only non-runner in the lot. Cleaned up all the contacts and had a quick look at the motor but could not get it to do more then a few revs. Have swopped motors for the one in the last Matra F1 I bought, this is the one with the engine moulding missing. I always know that the Matra had a good motor in it which was why it was in my list to be worked on and now the BMW is also one of my faster Jouefs.

The all need a good clean and polish and with an internal clean up will they be even quicker ? All I've done so far is change the rear tyres and treat the braids with Inox which really does work wonders. I'm also thinking of treating the tyres these came with with some 3-in-1 oil as they just need a little bit more grip to be usable.

Should I have waited and bid on the E-type, hind sight would say yes but it was so close to my price limit that I could quite easily have come away with nothing. As it is I've got another car coming as I had a bit left over and again it's a new car for me, just got to wait for it to arrive.

As always I will be posting more photos on the web site, hopefully tomorrow night.. click here

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Very good buy indeed Keith, they should clean up a treat. Careful with the polish on that GT40, the blue printing comes off dead easy!

Real shame you didn`t get that E Type. I saw it up for sale - can`t believe how cheap it went for.

Cheers
Kev

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi All,

received the last of my Xmas cars last week..

Needs a good clean but as it arrived it runs ok apart from the tyres. As always the later style Jouef rubber had gone rock hard and the front tyres had both split. Fitted the car with the Carrera Go! Dune Buggy tyres which I had on the Jouef Ferrari 312T and with good tyres fitted it turned out to be another quick car. Not wanting to leave the Ferrari tyre less I had a look in my spares box but had no luck but I did notice the a spare set of wheels I had seemed to be the same size so for the time being my Pioneer Mustang has no rear tyres. They fit perfectly but are a little narrow but are about 1/4 second quicker on the Winter Track.

One problem I find with the later Jouef cars is that due to their width I have to be very careful when taking the inside lane on curves as if the cars drifts the front will tend to catch on the barrier supports and this was what was happening with the Mustang rears and the Dune Buggy fronts. While I was looking through the spares box I font some other tyres that looked ok for the front wheels, these came from a Scalextric Metro and are a perfect fit on the front wheels. They also make the car a lot more stable in the corners so when I can get some new tyres from Bruno it will be interesting to see how the car handles.

Click here to see all the full photos

Hi Kev, Providing the E-Type was Ok someone got a bargain, still surprised that knowone placed a bid in the last couple of days.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts