SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

Jouef produced some pretty 1/40 (circa) slot cars a few decades ago.
I have a few and I recently decided to paint them and decorate them with some decals.
For most of them I'll go for fictional decorations, based on what I have in my decals box

Let's go for the first one, a BMW 3.5 CSL, a rather common Jouef, and a very good runner by the way
(although as most Jouef some work may be needed to make the car run fast and smooth)

Here is the base car :

And a few (a lot indeed ! I'm not working fast...) days later :

The deco is based on "Michelin" sponsored Mercedes Sauber C9 Le Mans of the early 90's. Purely fictional for this BMW.

For this car, I did not spend much time on anything except the paint. For a more neat result, the body would have needed a lot a putty and sanding (theses 40 years old Jouef have often suffered from "unfriendly" young boys !). Maybe next time

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
That looks really good Bertrand!

It`s nice to know that there are other Jouef fans out there!
Cheers,
Kev.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Nice Job! My Jouef BMW looks fine as is & is in nearly mint condiion so I would not paint it, but if I had a body shell or a car that was slightly knackered it would certainly be an option! I think that you will find that the BMW is closer to 1/43 then 1/40 though, as most of the early cars were; many of the later car were truely bigger and 1/40 scale!

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Definitely closer to 1/40 Masmojo.
Just put them next to a 1/43 Corgi car from the 60s.
Also the BMW was first released in 1973, so it is not an early model.
Cheers
Kev.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1/43, 1/40, 1/38... That's the kind of remarks I often read with 1/32
Anyway, I prefer to stick with the official Jouef scale which is 1/40 for their "Circuits Routiers" range of product

Thanks for your comments

@Kev @Lloyd : see you on Gentleman Driver

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Loose, Not that it matters or anything, BUT I stand by what I said earlier. My CSL looks quite at home next to all my 1/43 cars! I would never measure anything for accuracy against a Corgi, if they happen to stick to any partcular scale it's more happenstance then anything! My car is definately a mid vintage car (still has steering, but does not have the nice wheels I associate with the early cars) Throwing a line-gauge on the car yields a wheelbase of 62MM & an overall length of 106.5mm, comparing that with the real cars dimensions off the internet I come up with 1/42.33 & 1/43.5 respectively scale wise! I was speaking generally before, but it would be challnging for them to get much closer then that, especially in pre-C.A.D. days!

Now take one of the late Jouef cars (PLase!
) the GTV2000 for instance measures out to 1/37 scale!!!!!!!

Most of the Jouef sites I have seen say a "nominal" scale of 1/40 which basically means some are bigger & some are smaller then that
By & large I have found the earlier cars are smaller and the late cars are HUGE
!

Anyway, as I said earlier, nice job on the car and man your track is SO clean!!!! I don't think I have ever seen a track so clean unless it was brand new!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (masmojo @ 11 Sep 2011, 02:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Anyway, as I said earlier, nice job on the car and man your track is SO clean!!!! I don't think I have ever seen a track so clean unless it was brand new!!

The track has been painted more than 1 year ago, and cars do run on it almost daily
- choose a good / resistant / grippy paint
- don't be afraid to use your vacuum to keep the track clean !!!!!!!!!!!!!
- avoid silicone tires which leave glossy & slippy residues

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (pfuetze @ 13 Sep 2011, 19:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>great paint job, Bertrand!
you have to love the steering Jouef cars!

Thanks Pfuetze

Yes I like them and the short story is that I didn't own a single Jouef until last year !

For the longer story, when a child (maybe 10), some of my older cousins bought the largest Jouef set, the big 4 lanes. I did play alot with them and of course I asked my father to buy me one next christmas. I got one ! Unfortunately it was a simple 8, and it was a Scalextric set !!! Frankly (at that time) the 2 Scalextric Porsche Turbo (no chassis, flexible plastique, ...) I got were ugly compared to the Jouef, and they did not run as well in fact. Anyway since then, I forgot Jouef, and went the "hard" Scalextric way

Until recently when I began to look at modern 1/43 slot cars (Scx for instance) I also looked back at the vintage ones

If only modern 1/43 slot cars were as interesting as thoses Jouef !

·
Registered
437 Posts
That looks really nice, I particularly like the black and white photo. I like the effect on the windscreen, how was that done, just masked off the centre and sprayed from a distance?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
QUOTE (Jimb0 @ 14 Sep 2011, 08:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That looks really nice, I particularly like the black and white photo. I like the effect on the windscreen, how was that done, just masked off the centre and sprayed from a distance?

Good eye! It's actually molded into the plastic! came from the factory that way! As I said on another forum, it is one of my favorite things about this particular model!

Very clever!

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Released alongside the BMW was the Alpine 1600 (cat.no. 3659).
It had the same weathered effect to the windscreen.
Probably Jouefs best release between 1971-1980.
Not a common one, & can be hard to get if you live outside of France.
Cheers,
Kev

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Hi Jim,
That`s my Champion Playcraft/ Jouef layout.
Jouef track was made of a very hard & brittle plastic.
Track pieces are held together with spring loaded clips. You never get any continuity problems with Jouef track if it`s laid properly.
Cheers
Kev

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, it's been awhile since my previous (and unique) custom Jouef

This time a Porsche 911, following an inspiration by Fly : Trans-Am 2.0l 1968, T. Adamowicz :

And a real picture :

As I was about de start the paint job, I decided to enhance a little the chassis; I cut the back part to allow the chassis to be screwed higher in the body, and I also designed a system to keep the moteur on the chassis (then no longer relying on the original rather flimsy one, and optionally allowing an interior tray if I see fit)

I've done a set of dedicated decals (including "hubs")

Well, still work in progress...

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
great work, Bertrand!
the silver trim for the windows is great, also lowering the body makes the car looks really good!

1 - 20 of 98 Posts