SlotForum banner
221 - 237 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Claes, thanks for spotting the post and responding to it. I'm glad to see your track in others' light too -- it's the track that inspired me to try routing as well after all. I (apparently) am following your lead in production as well. Went the whole warm season without rerouting my bondo patches! Next year for sure (actually ordered copper tape last week -- so I must still be planning to work on it).

Hope you are well.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
I have now taken some pictures of my recent accomplishments. They do not really have anything to do with my track, but I post them here anyway.

As I mentioned in my earlier post I wanted to start with painting my white cars. But for this I needed a suitable "table". I thought about it and came up with a basic idea. It should be able to rotate and there should be moveable posts so that it would fit all of my cars. I bought a ball bearing and started to design the table from it.

Fixating the ball bearing

Simple cover to prevent paint to reach the ball bearing

The table top

Moveable posts

Ford Taurus ready to be painted

So now to the first results. I had chosen some cars as guinea pigs, namely two Scalex Audi TT (high resistance) and the two Ford Taurus called "Roboracer" and "Test Track". I want to use these as cars that can be used by visiting children; both big and small
Since I use yellow and blue to designate the two slots I wanted to paint them mainly yellow and blue. By the way I'm using spray paints.

First of the real cars I attempted to paint was the Slot.it Alfa in metallic red and white. But I let the masking tape sit on the car a little too long, so I need to fix the white paint in the front a bit. (It sure looks to be a bit dusty ... I actually forgot to dust it off before I took the picture.)

Next I painted the Sloter MB Lola in metallic violet with a silver stripe.

Recently I did one of the two XJR9 in dark green with white stripe.

None of these are finished yet as they will get some decals and some details has to be brush painted (like the "inside" of the head lamps shall be painted silver). I'm not entirely happy with the result so far, but I'm learning. I may even try using an airbrush ...
Kind regards,

Claes

·
Registered
458 Posts
I was there!

And the track was not raceable!

Coming soon , whith the help of his nice girl Lina!
She , and Me, wants to race.

I get so many hints about good building tracks! I just want more say Lasp ;-)

Its so smart to have more than one solution about the ending.
Nice cower, Yea I told Lala today. I want that space and track ;-)

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Well, Mark0 and Lasp, sorry to say I did almost nothing for a couple a months from September. It feels very nice to be missed from the Forum, but I should really have done more during last year. During the first part of 2012 there was some physical limitations that made it less interesting (or rather painful) for me to work on the track. When that was over the workload was quite high for some months. The company I'm working for aimed to launch a new product during the autumn. However, things didn't go quite that smooth and it was not launched until December. Yeah, I know they are really bad excuses ... But now thankfully I have gotten the "bug" again.

We (my daughters and I) have tested the new "interface" piece for the long extension and found that it required a bit of tuning. I had to make a new piece as the old one got quite distorted during last winter, as I found out in Feb. when I wanted to do some driving. I spent some time during the summer to make the new piece. (It was not the first priority as I first had to fix the greenhouse that had taken some beating by the winter storms.) There was a little difference in height between the parts and the cars "jumped" every time they passed, sometimes jumping out of the slots. It seems to be OK now, but I need to make the fix more permanent. When we were doing the test driving a piece of copper tape lifted from a part of the older section and that had to be taken care of. Nothing difficult and I had a lot of pressure from my daughters, which made me do it quickly.

I have even started to work on the scenery again. It is sort of a tedious job to cut and glue Styrofoam for the cliffs, but it is actually very relaxing and I should probably have been doing it during the period with the high workload. I will soon make the first trials painting white cars using an airbrush, but I need to tidy-up the work benches as both are quite cluttered with all sorts of things.

Kind regards,

Claes

·
Registered
458 Posts
As soon as the snow is gone. I will come ower and race!
I guess I have to take a Mosler to win ower Line!

But I will come.

And I have some tools for the forming of polyuretan or simular.

But I dont have rights here to publice it.

Best regards from Lasp and many kramar to you all.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
I have started to work more regularly on the landscape and have more or less finished the cliffs by the hairpin. Below you see my first attempt painting rocks. I think that it's not too shabby. I did see when I looked at the pictures that there are a few white "spots" that have to be painted. My daughters also said that the cliffs behind the pit seemed a bit "flat". I used my "Dremel" with a flexible shaft and a conical bit to cut some more crevices. I have so far only painted these new crevices with black paint. After Easter I will add some more grey and burnt sienna/umbra. I will also add some grass at places.

Kind regards,

Claes

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
Well Mark0 thanks for bumping my thread. I'm still here but I havn't been checking the SlotForum for a long time. There has unfortunately been a lot of other things on my mind.

However, I have done some work on my track and also painted all of my "white kits" and some others that got repainted. In total 24 cars. First some about the progress of the landscaping.

I think that I mentioned earlier that I find it very "soothing" to carve styrofoam into pieces of rock - and I had plenty of "soothing" moments with finishing the remaining 1.8-ish meters of rock faces. Here is what it looked like in Oct. 2013.

When all of the pieces were carved, glued and spackled I started to paint the rocks. First I applied a very dark grey all over them and then continued with 4 to 5 different lighter shades of grey. At last I applied some burnt sienna and burnt ocra, and finished with dry brushing some very light grey. This is the finished rock face.

Some close-ups. My youngest daughter enthusiasticly helped me to apply some brown base paint. Maybe too enthusiasticly ...

When I had done this it was time to take care of the first part I did in the spring of 2013. Parts of these rock faces still felt quite "wrong", especially the one between the two tunnels. And I also had to fit some plywood pieces to act as concrete slabs along the "upper" part. After more spackling and painting it became like this.

Then I did a small hill in the upper left corner.

And finally I did another hill at the end of the long straight.

What is left is to sow some grass and place some rubble here and there.

But the more I look on the rock face to the "right" (second picture above) the more I feel that it is too cluttered. I think that I have to use some more spackle and try to get it more like this.

This has to be all for now, but I will try to post some pictures of painted cars tomorrow and a little tool that I have made.

Kind regards,

Claes

221 - 237 of 237 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.