SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I thought it was time i posted my routed track here. Its been a long and slow project, having started in Dec '05.

This may end up being a bit long...

The layout has a footprint of 12x6ft. Three tables of 6x4 bolt together, with electrical connections being fed though 9 pin plugs. Three lanes, with a centre lane length of 13.8m. Its a general figure 8 layout to maximise length. The front half consists of two straights, and the back half tight and twisty. Copper tape was used.

This first shot shows the overall layout. Not all taping is complete in this photo. I originally painted the surface with acrylic low sheen interior wall paint. The straight on the left is the start finish, with the hairpin being turn one.

After running it for a while, I wasn't happy with the grip level, so decided to resurface. A decent wipe down, masked the copper tape and then one coat of chalkboad paint rolled over the top.

For timing, I use UR3. I have darlington phototransistors as the sensors in the track surface, with infra red LEDs overhead in the gantry for the source. These run off their own power supply set at 4v. For the track, I have a 0-30v 0-5A supply that I leave on 9v. Anything more, and its not enjoyable, as there isn't a long enough straight to stretch a car's legs. The gantry also has the start lights which run off the PC.

The orange LEDs on top of the gantry are lane indicators, where software setting dependant, are used to indicate fastest lap, jump start, low fuel etc.

As I mentioned earlier, the three table have their own wiring, connected to each other via 9 pin PC type plugs. Each table has a terminal strip that feeds the track sections, and then the two outer tables connect to the centre table. From the outset, the whole thing was designed to be easily pulled apart and set up for storage or transport. The gantry comes off and has two plugs, one for the PC harness, one for the IR LED power supply. Even the drivers stations panel comes off, again connected with a 9 pin plug.

This first shot has the first terminal strip on the centre table. The pwr supply and control panel feed to this which then goes to the main strip (the one on the right in the second photo) which subsequently feeds the two outer tables.

To make it transportable, the three tables have fold up legs and all wiring is such that its all out of harms way. To ensure the bridge on the centre table lines up correctly and is even height wise when reassembling it, there is a removeable section at either end. These can be 'floated' height wise if needed to ensure there are no major step at the joins. Like the rest, electrical connections are by way of 9pin connectors, fed from the respective table's terminal board.

Drviers stations removed.

Gantry, large plug for LEDs and PC harness, small one for 4v pwr supply.

The scenery is where I am up to at the moment. Haven't done any work for a couple of months, as the local hobby stores are out Woodland Scenic material, and are unsure of the next shipment. Basically the back half is done, save for under the bridge.

I just have the front part to go. Once I get an LCD monitor and hang it off the side, where the monitor sits on a little stand at the moment will become a setup and run in pad, with rollers and means to true tyres.

Thanks for looking.

Michael

Mods, unsure what happened to my pic sizing. The larger ones were resized to 'message board' size, the smaller ones I custom sized ages ago. Sorry

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Wow,That's really nice & I guess I really like it because it is almost identical in size & construction to what I am planning on doing!
When I read "Three tables of 6x4 bolt together" saw it was a 3 laner & Noticed you used folding table legs,I was thinking "has this guy been reading my mind? Stealing the masmojo track secrets?"
Luckily that's where the similarities end. I am planning more of a Targa type track with more elevation changes. ahh, someday
I have the MDF already so it's not a total pipe dream! Just need to find the space & time

LoverlyTrack!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE When I read "Three tables of 6x4 bolt together" saw it was a 3 laner & Noticed you used folding table legs,I was thinking "has this guy been reading my mind? Stealing the masmojo track secrets?"

No, I think it is the other way around. You said it yourself, you are planning, I am doing!!

QUOTE ahh, someday I have the MDF already so it's not a total pipe dream! Just need to find the space & time

Do you know what the similarities are between space and time? You can always make both! Get to it.

·
Premium Member
5,504 Posts
AHA

there is the real complete thing and not just showing of the bottem

[you know what i am talking about]

looks very nice

i like the 3 lane way, and love the way you did the electrics!!

looking forward to getting mine in that stage!

Jaak

·
David Collins
2,492 Posts
I think you've done a really nice job in a relatively small space - look forward to seeing the completed track. It looks fun to drive - the first corner after the start should be fun!

·
Registered
89 Posts
QUOTE (schuey19 @ 5 Aug 2007, 22:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Drviers stations removed.

Great work I must say!,
I'm still at the scaley track stage would love to have the room for a routed track. Must get me a big shed!

I'm curious to know if they are track call buttons set up at each of the drivers stations. I'm playing round with the latest version of Ultimate Racer 3. I know its possible to cut the power with UR3 , but as far as i can tell this is only done by hitting the cursor on the screen pause icon. Can this be triggered with a physical button on the track such that the power is cut and timing paused.
UR3 doesnt seam to have an input LPT pit allocated for for this.

Cheers
Mondo

·
Registered
10 Posts
It has been quite some time since I have posted an update, so here it goes: Its finished! Not much of an update I hear you say. Well in the long since I documented anything here, I have moved house twice, the last to our current place in Feb 09 where we have the luxury of a 4 car garage. No need to fit 4 cars, so plenty of room for a track extension!

The plan was to remove the last bend which swung left and downhill onto the front straight. Coming off the bridge you would instead sweep right, then tightish left then past a pit entry and onto an opening left turn onto the now longer front straight. It would be on a new table measuring 6x4ft, the same as the other three, giving a new footprint of 16x6ft.

As it was

New table in place, with part of the old turn salvaged. A new piece (scrap from the original build which I had kept, you know for "just in case") was grafted onto this. My son, 3.5 at the time has just realised that he can no longer use the track. My cue to get my butt in gear and finish it!

All the routing completed, except for just a few little bits in the pit area

All done and ready for final top coat of acryllic chalkboard paint. Old track has been masked ready for a resurface. May as well while I am at it!

Ready for taping and wiring

Pit area and straight taped

Pit lane buttons installed on driver panels. Would also make a breakout box on end of the panel to plung in switch leads. This was for a member in a wheel chair who sat at the end of the layout, but I also made some extra leads so all three drivers could use instead of having to look down to find button to pit. Also to help shield your fuel stop strategy, as no one knows when you are going to pit!

Pit changers were made from 4mm perspex, and are actuated by 12v car horn relays which have part of the case cut away and some fencing wire attached to the moving arm and up through the table to the perspex. Powered by a 9v power supply

Wiring underneath the pit changers. Relays are visible

Finished extension with the start of scenery

The pit booms. These would hold the IR LED for the pit sensor source light. A 3mm jack in the bottom enables me to take them out when not being used. The socket would be later hidden

I then made a start on the scenery, but it was a long time before I actually finished it, 12 months between work at one point
. But I did the finishing touches in the last week of April 11, the last bit being some advertising the night before I hosted a race meet.

Here's the pits

And the rest

And some Sideways Daytona Protoype racing

DP racing at schuey's

·
René &#39;Vialli&#39; Christensen
4,861 Posts
I like the improvement and the working pitlane!
But pesonally I would have turned the red lane in before the yellow and white.
Now it looks like red has a much longer route even in the pit lane.
But if this works for you, that's what matters.
Good job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.