SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after veiwing some amazing home tracks (both routed and plastic) I thought I'd finally make a start.
I've been inspired by many people here, both in Oz and around the world, so it was about time I got my track under way.

I'm on Chrissy holidays (about a week) so I stockpiled what timber I could from work over the past month or so and got to work today.
Here's what I've manage to do.

The table is on castors to allow me to move it into the centre of the garage to landscape along the back wall etc.
It measures 2.4m along the back wall, by 1.8m deep. 3.0m along the front.
I have a 3.6m section that runs along the side wall to give me a 4m straight with a return hairpin.

Here's an old track plan (which has changed a bit, but you'll get the idea)

Here's a pic of the main table

This pic shows the permanent part of the fold up section (to allow me to get the car in the garage), it's 3.6m long and will house the straights and hairpin.

Here's a pic of the hairpin...

And here's a shot looking back up the straight...

Will continue with the fold up section tomorrow, then begin wiring for power taps etc.
Then onto the track...

Thanks for all the great layouts and landscaping ideas....

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I got out to the garage after lunch (
) and got to work on the fold up section.
Here's what I came up with.
(Ignore the loose pieces of timber, they were just props...)

The track will be protected by being on the wall side of the frame, this will allow me to park my car in the garage and still open the door!!!

When these pics were taken, the supporting brackets weren't fitted, but they're done and working well, taking the weight easily.

I also threaded through some wire for power taps....

So next opportunity (Saturday?) I will put the table top down and start to solder up the power taps.
A big thank you to the apprentice, my 4 1/2 year old son, Jack!!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Looks like you´ve got a great space for your track. And a very sturdy framework .. This is the track that Jack built .. Is the car parked outside on race evenings?

Curious as I am, how are you gonna solve the joint in track between wall frame-foldup? Cut all tabs on track ends and glue or screw the ends/joints down to subroad or such?

.. cheers ..

-( R )-

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looks cool, but isn't it too high for the little guy?

I just built a table for my stuff and I did it 3 feet high. It's perfect for adults and kids alike. You'd be sruprised how good little ones can be.

One of my 4 year old twins beat both me and both his brothers a couple times, and we have SCX digital, which includes refueling and everything.

Make sure you get a tall stool for your little buddy.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rain_man
QUOTE Is the car parked outside on race evenings?

Curious as I am, how are you gonna solve the joint in track between wall frame-foldup? Cut all tabs on track ends and glue or screw the ends/joints down to subroad or such?

The car will be parked outside, yes.
The joint in the track.... well I was thinking of cutting the tabs and having the track drop into place next to the other track....gotta get that spot on, but the two pieces will be wired together anyway, so contact isn't an issue, just lining up the slots.

A few ideas, but untill it's all layed down, I'm not thinking aboput that too much yet.

lkb,
QUOTE Looks cool, but isn't it too high for the little guy?

I've got a couple of bar stools for the height challenged drivers.

I'll get a few more pics soon and post them up in the next few days.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to have two driver's stations, one at the hairpin, the other at the right corner of the table.
I drove from both points and the vision is good, and I got a fastest lap time of 5.9 sec from both points!
Next job is to wire up driver's stations and a couple of power taps.... although it ran fine without any (approx 20m!)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I was thinking about how to make the track easier to see (regarding the bridge) and came up with a slightly modified design.The bridge is now more central to the table, so it works better now.
It allows me a pit lane (non working - it is analogue) to add to the scenery. I was thinking along the lines of a simple (old style) pit area.... something like the old Winton (VIC, Aus) or Bathurst pre 80's... just a simple steel framed structure with a flat roof.
Also some room for a rear-of-pit area.

Some pics.

Just a small update, but it'll get real detailed soon (I hope) with some scenery work.
I've never done any before, but I'm picking up plenty here, so thanks to all who have provided info.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick update.
espsix gave me a great soldering lesson today, so thanks, Brett.
I have now made up my controller port extension leads.
Next step is to run the power taps then I can start to landscape.

Went to my brother's place during the week and learnt a few landscaping techniques... he's into trains, but same principle.

So I'm armed with some basic knowledge now, the project should start to take some sort of shape very soon.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey Knoath...like the layout good use of available space don't get too hung up on bridge clearances unless you want to race trucks....use good old MDF to smooth the transitions...let us know how the power taps go

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good layout i say,

Im new to all this to so im looking on a few ideas on track layouts, so i have to say im inspired with your track only mine will be slightly smaller i think as i dont think i have the same sort of space as you but thanks for the inspiration from your layout

Andy

What are the red and blue cars in the pictures are they vipers.

keep the pics coming as my brain needs more input on ideas

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally got around to soldering up some power taps, just need to wire up the power base to them and I'm ready to tackle some fences and start on some scenery.
I can post some pics if anyone feels it would benefit others?
This was the first time I've done this, so it's no masterpiece, but it should do the job!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've finished hooking up the power taps to the power base and BINGO!!!!! The track is running great, nothing blew up!!!

So I have to put up some temp fencing (MDF) for now so I can turn some laps!!! Finally!!

Then it's scenery enough to run safely.(borders and fencing)

A very happy slotter here, I can tell you!!!
deleriously!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.