SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had Scalextric for as long as i can remember but ages ago i started to build a track in my loft.

Im not sure what to do next about the track. I just used my old classic stuff and bought some more off ebay to get what i have now. Still require extra but thinking of upgrading to sport and getting a digital setup going. Its been left like this for ages now but went up in the loft again today to way up what i need etc so took a short vid. The track thats down at the moment is just one i chucked together because i wanted a play lol. The finnished thing will be a lot longer as you will see on the vid the part that will be the main straight hasnt got any track on it yet 16ft long.

See what you think all comments welcome

·
Circuit Owner
5,924 Posts
Nice big area, shame about the beams - you are going to get a lot of bruises re-slotting cars when you are racing somebody - unless you implement track call. Not sure if you can do this with plain vanilla Scalextric APB but you can if you add SSDC software. You could set track call to stop cars - that will teach your racers to not come off so often!

Sight lines are going to be a big issue when racing with more than one person.

As for the track - your classic track looks in good nick. Why not use the classic-to-sport converter track pieces to keep the old track and add newer. Classic track has a rougher, grippier surface so you could use it in the places you would rather not have so many deslots. Save the sport track for the bits where you don't mind deslots and to test the racers, and of course to change lanes!!!

I believe there is a difference in depth of slot between classic and sport. Not sure which way the difference is. Not a problem with Scalextric guides but you may have to make other makers' guides less deep (light application of wet and dry paper should do it). I think classic has the slightly shallower slot.

There we are. Comments.

You can stop frowning now - it doesn't suit you

·
Greg Gaub
15,382 Posts
I think it will be a fun track like so many other loft tracks. It's unfortunate about all the rafters, but not everyone can remodel the loft.

As for track calls, the APB has them. Initiate using the brake button. There can be a delay to penalize the crasher, as well as it can stop or slow the other cars on the track while in effect. The only thing I don't like about it is that when you're done with the track call, you've got to hit the Start button and there's no countdown or delay from that press to when cars have full power again.
It makes for some tricky management, so if the APB can be place in a spot where one driver has easy access that is NOT obstructing the view of other drivers, that's the best place for it. I think at the end of the U, right before a turn, should work well.

Classic has a shallower slot, which causes problems for a LOT of cars out of the box. I'd use some classic pieces if it weren't for that drawback. I would love for Scalextric to introduce some new track, or re-introduce old track in Sport style. Le Mans starts, classic pit lane, straight crossovers, humpback bridge, grand chicane and curve chicanes would all be cool in Sport form.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes i think i got carried away with the build and made the L part a bit to big so could cause some issues with sight. It will only be myself and maybe my Dad that use it so shouldnt be to much of a problem if it is i can always do a bit of a change. The rafters look worse on the vid than the actually are thb.

I also need to sort the lighting out as its a bit dull in some parts of the track.

I think ive made my mind up to get sport track for the rest of the build at least that way i can get racing then i think i will pick up some bits on ebay to replace the classic then possibly go to digital in the future.

My classic track is in good condition since ive had it for probably 30 years. I bought some extra off ebay some which is like brand new but most was not the best and not as described in the auction. The stuff that laid at the moment has been down for ages and has a couple of tiny rust spots must of got some damp on it or something.

I need to put some power taps in - If i solder onto the power track, attach those wires to a chockolate block then run a few wires to 3 or 4 points around the track. Would this work ? Should i use just normal twin core wire ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts