Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting my hands on a couple of Scalextric C54 Lotus's in need of some attention some time ago and restoring them I ended up aquiring a few more in different types/colours and a few bodies as well for parts. I wanted one that looked more like a Lotus 16 than the plastic scalextric colours so having a spare body with broken mounts I decided that I'd have a crack at one myself. After looking at plenty of pictures here on SlotForum and anywhere I could find information about scratchbuilding I decided to make a start and try to at least have something half reasonable to look at. A few tips were given to me by Munter which came in very handy and helped me with the build. I have posted these pictures elsewhere but thought that some here on the forum might like to see my first attempt at a scratch build.

The Progress Pics:

The Chassis. Started out making the motor bracket, test fitted the motor and gears and progressed from there.

Scalextric FF motor added, slot.it gear.

The Donor Scalextric body, all existing mounts removed, carved out the base and glued the halves together.

Wobbly wheels and a guide fitted to the chassis. Body mounted.

Body mounts added and some primer. The 2 pieces of MDF were used to solder the axle tubes in place during chassis construction.

The painted body.

The body has had a couple of coats of clear in these pics, mounted to the chassis once again and some parts loosely fitted.

I used a driver from another Lotus body I had, added hands and a steering wheel, painted him up a little and fitted him loosely in the car, he's definately oversize but what I had to use at the time.

The wobbly wheels that are on the car at the moment are to be replaced with BWA's wheels and inserts and some new rubber. I have added the number decals and the car was rubbed back once again and given its final coat of clear which fixed up an issue I had with the prior clear coats. I did make up my own rear springs to use on this chassis build but decided to keep this build simple and use the parts which were on hand instead, will be using them on my next Lotus 16 (building began today). Sorry for so many photos, hope you like my Lotus 16 and I'll post pics of the finished car soon. If anyone has any more advice or any more ideas on how to finish the car off more I'm more than open to any suggestions.

Cheers

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
If that's your first attempt, you're a natural!

After examining some online photos of restored Lotus 16s, the rims frequently appear to be bare metal. I know you're going to replace the wheels with BWAs, but while the original wheels are still on the car, would an application of some metal color help the rims stand out? And maybe a black wash on the rims, the rear springs, and the driver, just to pick out the details?

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
That is absolutely magnificent, Matt. Beautiful job done with the chassis build.

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Brilliant Matt. Absolutely terrific.

I am green with envy at your skills. What car is next?

Thanks for posting the pictures,

Philip

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone for their comments. ThaiRacer, I have roughly based the Lotus on a picture I found of one in The Donington Grand Prix Museum and I had intended on doing the rear springs and the rest of the detailed parts on this car but didn't want to get ahead of myself on my first build, thought I'd leave these until my second build. I still need to add some more detail to the driver and might try the black wash like you have said. Due to the fact that this was my first build and having to aquire a few materials I doubled up on this car so will be doing another Lotus 16 for now, but will be modifying the chassis and adding more detail to it, moving on from the basic one you can see in the first pictures. I did take another couple of pics last night of the Lotus, still not finished but getting there.

As you can see on the front end photo it would look more 'finished' if the little details were added. What I love about this car is that being a brass chassis I can always add the details when I'm more confident with my soldering skills.

Cheers

Matt

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi there down under,
A nice and clean build, and this for your first attempt

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with these type of cars, so I can't say what to improve and try out next time, I think there are better experts in the field than me.
But I do see that your work is done with passion, keep on doing this.
Perhaps a good tip for the future, try to improve your self each time you make a new model by going a step further and dare to experiment.
Sometimes it works, some times it don't, but improve you will.
Thanks for showing your building steps, keep on doing this, it's an inspiration for us all.

Cheers,
Danny

·
David Farrow
1,225 Posts
Hi Matt

Very good, it's always good to someone having a go and even better as by posting it, you are encouraging others.
If I may with just a couple of bits. It's a good idea to have the motor as far back as you can but you may find the green slot-it crown a bit short on teeth. A red 30 tooth would give you better gear ratio but it looks as if you don't have the room to get one in. The Scalex Lotus 16 is a bit over scale, there are many really good bodies available for this period of race car from the likes of Classic, Pendle and David Jones. It wouldn't take much more time to tackle one and it certainly looks as if you have the skill.

Then enter Early Birds and get yourself on a plane.

All the best
David F

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi all and thanks again for your comments.

Novolare (Danny)-Hoping to improve the chassis with my next build and improve on my first attempt.

loud bloke (David F)-thanks for your input. Not sure if I could get the motor back any further, I did use the short shaft Scalextric FF motor but I'm more than open to any help. I have read elsewhere that the Scalextric/Triang Lotus 16 is N.T.S, due to having a few of these bodies and about 6 restored Lotus 16's I wanted one to at least look more correct in colour etc than the coloured plastic look of the original cars. I have been looking around at different bodies from some suppliers and its always good to find someone else who makes the bodies, there are a few cars that I would like to have a go at doing in the future.

Cheers

Matt

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thought I had posted a pic of the Lotus with its BWA wheels and inserts. The difference between these wheels and the out of shape wobbly wheels in the earlier pics is huge.

Without the inserts-

With the inserts-

With the inserts painted-

The newest addition to my little Lotus 16 collection is definately the quickest around my Scalextric 21m track, about 9.5 sec a lap so far, a little tail happy, so easily takes pole on the grid-

Not sure I can do much more to this car to finish it off completely other than adding the Lotus decal to the front. I did make a start on my next Lotus, rear bracket is made up and have used BWA's bushings this time around instead of brass tube to hold the rear axle and have made a start on the front axle bracket.

My home-made bracket-

A couple of side rails,BWA bushings,motor and Slot.it gear test fitted-

The new donor body (I'm only using these bodies as their motor and axle mounts are all damaged or I'd restore it as I don't have a yellow Type 1 Lotus with the big head in my collection yet).

I have made a bit more progress on the chassis, its now at the stage where I can at least put it on the track and see how it goes compared to my first attempt. Have made a start on the body, removed excess broken mounts etc and glued the two halves together. Next up is to add the suspension etc, will post a few more progress pics soon.

Matt

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Joel, I thought I may have been able to fix one of these type 1, big head, Lotus bodies with the broken mounts but since there seem to be quite a few pop up on ebay every now and then I'd thought I'd wait and grab one in better condition than the couple I have. I have had a good look at the Beta and Classic slot car bodies and there are a few there that I wouldn't mind having a go at.

Cheers

Matt

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Matt
Can do you a resin model of a lotus 16 which is based on the scalex one so is the same size ,if you fancy one PM me

cheers tony

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the offer Tony, much appreciated but I think I'll have a go at something different next time, I still have a few damaged Lotus bodies that I could use in the future but I probably have enough Lotus 16's in my collection now, time to try something different next time, thanks.

Cheers

Matt

1 - 20 of 21 Posts