Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well , I don`t know anything about Eldon . I got this car when I bought a lot of Strombecker bodies in an ebay auction . So I read "Eldon 1967 Ford J 1350-14" inside the body . I cleaned the car and put new brushes on it , put some drops oil at motor and axles and now the car works . Only the tyres are junk
. First I thought the motor wasn`t original because it looks like a modern 13D . But it`s bigger than the modern motors so it could be original . What do you think ? And which tyres could fit on this very very small wheels ??? Does those cars had any cockpit ? Oh , lovely front steering at this car
, I like it . And yes , the right A-post is missed

Greetz , Ralf

·
Administrator
9,650 Posts
Hi Ralf,

If you look through US ebay you might find somebody who does Eldon repro tires, or maybe ask Ortmann if he does anything similar...

I don't know the later Eldon cars too well, but that's probably the original motor... You talk about steering, but I don't see steering on the chassis...

Don

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Don ,
the guide press the front piece with the axle in direction of the curve . This is brilliant if it works . Need a picture ?
As I started the tyre question thread ( http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64160 ) you can read that I like rubber tyres more than polyurethane . Because polyurethane gives the car much more grip than the original tyres . If you use this tyres you better drive all cars with them but I don`t like that .

Greetz , Ralf

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I made a pic from the steering . Here you can see what happen in a curve ( here put in place with a piece of wood ) .

Greetz , Ralf

·
Administrator
9,650 Posts
Ah, I see what you mean: that's what's called "cart steering" as opposed to the more realistic Ackermann type... Some of the other early slot cars had thtat too, like Gilbert, Policar and maybe Carrera or another German manufacturer.

I'm afraid you're going to have a hard time finding rubber tires for Eldon - or most other cars! EJ's Hobbies in the US makes some rubber tires for Revell, but don't think they do the Eldon - and these look like kind of an odd size, as you say.

Don

·
Registered
165 Posts
Actually there is no steering. The front chassis screw looks wrong. should be pan head like the rear one , and it should do up tight to prevent any chassis flex. There should be a rib on the mounting post to prevent movement. This mates with a groove in the front chassis. Typically the body mounting posts strip out and people use bigger screws, but this leads to more damage. Motor is correct . Not sure where to get rubber tires. Years ago I made some foam tires to fit these rims and they worked good. You may check "tiny motors" for tires.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Tires of silicone are on line if you search "Tiny Motors "DB5"
Also this car never had a cockpit or driver, some Eldon's had these , others didn't , the "J" never had.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hey Gar ,
your comment is very interesting . For the screws I must say you have an eagle eye
. I didn`t see that there are two different screws ...
But this steering thing ... well , I saw it at the naked chassis and thought that it was a brilliant stuff 1967
. If you see the pics you know what I mean .

So if this steering is not wanted by the manufactor I think my guide isn`t original . Because it can`t turn free in curves . It comes to the axle holder . If it steer it could work but not without moving the front axle
What do you think ?

Greetz , Ralf

·
Registered
165 Posts
The front part of the frame is upside down.Turn it over so both axles can be removed from the bottom. Guide is original and getting rare, put it in the other side, and it will turn. The hole for the mounting post has a slot in front, for the rib on the body post to stop any movement.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ahhh, the Ford J Car.

Shortly after I received my first Eldon race set for Christmas as a kid (The Power 8 set with 2 Indy cars), my mom bought me a Ford J Car. It was by far my favorite Eldon slot car and still is.

Congratulations on getting a really nice car.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I am the owner/moderator of a Yahoo Group for Eldon slot cars:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Eldon_Slot_Cars/

Come jopin us! Someone there will know the answer to your questions.

Yes, Tiny motors makes tires for all the different Eldon wheels and is a member of the group.

I started the group because Eldon was like the red headed stepchild of slot cars. I got started with them because I found the 67 Dodge Charger at a garage sale. I started looking into Eldon and found out they made some MoPars no one else did.

Marty
Marysville, OH

1 - 15 of 15 Posts