SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst not in the same class as much of the work illustrated on SF, I'd like to present my first (almost) completed Scaley restoration.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire
Car Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle
Started with an 8 quid heap off Ebay, filthy, missing brightwork and with a crack in the boot lid.

A thorough clean, new tyres, new braids and a better contrate wheel out of the bits box had it running nicely static.

The body got some styrene sheet splints across the crack, a bit of filler, then a paint job with this stuff
Liquid Paint Fluid Cosmetics Personal care
followed by decals from Kevin Oz, touching in some detail, and some black washes to bring up the panel lines. Oh, and repro bumpers of course.

Ignore the missing offside headlamp. I've a replacement on the way but couldn't wait on post-Covid postal speeds to show off the rest.

It's not perfect. I'm not great at paint, decals or general finishing, but I'm dead chuffed with it for a first go. Certainly good enough as a respectable runner.

Registered
Not bad mate, at least it will run now馃槈馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update.

I cannot unreservedly recommend the Rustoleum paint. Whilst it worked fine on the Mini, I've just sprayed a C16 Ferrari P4 shell with it and it's not gone well. Primer and 2 coats of red gloss went on fine. However, on blowing it over with a third coat the paint surface has wrinkled up like a very wrinkly thing, and I'm not sure why. I'd have thought, if there was going to be a reaction with the plastic, it would have happened before the final coat. I'm going to leave it well alone to harden off properly and then see what can be done by rubbing it back down.

Disappointing, but not the end of the world, which is the nice thing about working with Ebay clunkers. The other week I dissolved a brace of (common) 70s F1 bodies in a Dettol bath while trying to strip the PO applied paint and only swore a little bit when I discovered they were knackered. Then made a mental note of the lesson, chucked the running gear in the bits box and moved on.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. The photos are, as such things tend to be, a little unflattering, and make me think I need to have another go at the washes to get the panel lines a bit more consistent. Otherwise, paint nearly always looks better than self coloured '70s plastic, which helps. Something I was surprised and pleased about was how much improvement just an impressionistic dab of silver on handles, wipers and fuel cap, and a touch of orange on the indicator lenses makes.

Of course, I'm not constrained by the need to mass produce at an affordable price, or make the finish robust enough to survive 10 year olds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts